Heater Fan Motor - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > Saab 9-5 Workshop
Saab 9-5 Workshop Saab 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 19th November 2010

Join Date: Feb 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 93
Default Heater Fan Motor

I posted a similar post 3-4 weeks ago and did not get the help that I needed. My heater fan only comes "on" when I go over a bump in the road. I just had my Climate Control repaired due to missing pixels and I thought that this might solve the problem, but it did not. When the heater fan does come "on", ALL fan speeds do work and everything is fine and I I get great heat. Another Saab owner that I talked with stated that there is probably a "short" or a loose wire at the blower fan motor. Could this be the problem and an easy fix? I would appreciate any thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19th November 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5 2.3t - 2000 9-5 AERO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineguy View Post
there is probably a "short" or a loose wire at the blower fan motor. Could this be the problem and an easy fix? I would appreciate any thoughts.

You need to remove the blower motor and replace the brushes (or have it rebuilt).

It's a pretty easy do it yourself.

http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/2006..._Motor_Repair/
Old 19th November 2010

Join Date: Apr 2009                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5 V6

Yep, I just did mine and it fixed everything. The symptoms leading up to it were the same. In fact, it doesn't just have to be a bump in the road, you can just hit areas in the dash and it will come on. But unfortunately it will eventually not come on so you should pull the fan out and replace it or fix the bushing. If you replace it, the part is around 150$. The bushing repair (I've read) is an easy fix and does the job 95% of the time. Good luck! If you run into any issues pulling it out, let us know. My only suggestion is to take your time when pulling the plastic under the wipers off and follow the instructions because the plastic caps underneath are VERY easy to break (still not a huge deal if you do break one...I did). Also, I also recommend removing the wiper mount located above the wiper blade for the extra room. Lastly, wear some leather gloves as the plastic is a bit sharp for bare hands.
Old 20th November 2010

Join Date: Nov 2008                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 3.0 griffin

i did mine today. it to the stage where it didn`t work at all. not good when the last week has been cold and frosty. took plastic covers off and wiper motor and linkage. undid the fan, but could not pull it out due to the gap been to small.
so i got it postioned at a angle, then replaced the bushes with it still in the car. a bit fiddly, but all good and working now
Old 20th November 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2006                                                
My Saabs: 01 9-5 Wagon (RIP); 05 9-5 Aero (gone)

Seems those motors ONLY last 10 years (cheap crappy Saab parts ) as my 2001 wagon is doing exactly the same thing.

I have to say that these are the best fan motors of any vehicle I've owned - they stay nice and quiet and work well for 10 years! The worst was the Mercury Sable - new motor every other year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement