Front door speaker wires 99 9-3 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning

NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 17th November 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Nov 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3 : Sleeper Project
Default Front door speaker wires 99 9-3

Hi all,

First time poster, long time lurker.

Apologies if this isn't the right place to post this....

I'm putting a new sound system in my '99 9-3 (I think it's an S Combi?) and I need a little help.

I believe the model up from mine has front door speakers included, but there wasn't any in my model. I want to put some in, but the wiring gets tricky with the pin-plug thing in the door.

So, I have noticed that there are a couple of wires (2) that have a little connector on them that looks suspiciously like it should go to a speaker.

The question I have is... does anyone know if they would put the wiring in even though they didn't put the speakers in (at factory)?

If yes, are the wires I'm talking about for me to attach to my new speakers?

And if they are, does the wire continue through after the pin-plug? The stock head unit doesn't have a connector for the extra wires (that I can see) so, I wonder if they've put the wire from the pin-plug to behind the dash somewhere.

AND, if they have, what the hell is the colour of said wires so that I can use them and not have to move heaven and earth to get wire to my speakers !!!!????!!!!

I've searched pretty thoroughly for wiring charts/colours/diagrams/etc, but not having much luck.

Can anyone help??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22nd November 2010

Join Date: Aug 2010                                                
My Saabs: saab aero 20T 04

hi there mate ive noticed the last few days i have the same problem(no front speakers)i haven't managed to get the time to take the door panel off,but i have been told to expect the wires there,its cheaper for saab to wire all models then it is changing the machines to suit each individual model,also you could put a meter on the wire to make sure its not pumping out a 12v charge if its not then give it a bash.
hope this helps
Old 22nd November 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Nov 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3 : Sleeper Project

Actually, I'm about to put up some photos on how to do this.

I battle through it (and did pretty much what you said) and took photos as I went. It worked really well, so I'll post up photos to help out others.

I just need to spend the time on the computer instead of pulling the car apart to post them....
Old 22nd November 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2009                                                
My Saabs: 1995 Saab 900 S

I was wondering the same thing (hhow to route wires to door speakers in my 900). I never found the connectors that you speak of, but hopefully your pictures will be helpful.

Thanks,
Shane
Old 23rd November 2010
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1995 900 SE stage 3 @ 181k
Garage

If your 900 is anything like mine was, there were no door speakers fitted and there was no wiring either. I had to get some door connectors hacked off a scrapped car and pull the pins and sockets out and make connectors of my own. The 93 is apparently be better in this respect as they all came with the wiring fitted.

You can see the pins/sockets in the bottom right along with the home made 5 pin DIN preout cable

Then fitted into the door connector. You can see that the bottom pair of connectors stick out a bit. (these are the ones i added) Fitting these requires the glovebox and the fusebox covers removed as well as the door cards.

The amplifiers live in the boot. 9 channels in total. 3 way at the front with bass to the doors, mid to the dash and then tweeters fitted to the dash grilles. The rear is a pair of 6x9's still used as quiet rear fill for passengers and then a sub.
Old 23rd November 2010
Saab Lunatic

thanks man. those are extremely helpful details. Only question is how did you open the door connector? Last time i looked at it I couldn't get it to budge...
Old 23rd November 2010
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1995 900 SE stage 3 @ 181k
Garage

They are a twist lock. Twist anticlockwise to unlock and clockwise to lock. (Towards you to unlock, towards the hood to lock, there is a click stop at the locking point which is what makes it difficult to unlock)
Old 23rd November 2010
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei View Post
They are a twist lock. Twist anticlockwise to unlock and clockwise to lock. (Towards you to unlock, towards the hood to lock, there is a click stop at the locking point which is what makes it difficult to unlock)
that makes sense. I was probably just afraid of braking it off

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement