ticking noise - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 13th November 2010

Join Date: Sep 2010                                                
My Saabs: saab 9-5 2ltr
Default ticking noise

ive developed a ticking noise which sems to centre around the fuel injection rail or possibly the fuel pressure regulator. Has anyone experienced this before?
thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13th November 2010
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: .

Fuel injectors do indeed make a slight ticking sound!
Old 13th November 2010

thanks chris once again. I was considering sending my injectors off for cleaning how easy or difficult are they to remove? Can i remove the complete fuel rail?

thanks.
Old 13th November 2010
Saab Sage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myinvestment View Post
thanks chris once again. I was considering sending my injectors off for cleaning how easy or difficult are they to remove? Can i remove the complete fuel rail?

thanks.
I havent done it but I dont think its hard, however.....

I have never seen anyone else find a need to do this, unless a specific fuelling fault has been found, why do you want to have them done?
Old 14th November 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-5 Sedan, 2006 Sportcombi

Just run Techtron threw your fuel system. You don't need to get your injectors cleaned, so spending that money somewhere else on your car.
Old 14th November 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 9-5 View Post
I havent done it but I dont think its hard, however.....

I have never seen anyone else find a need to do this, unless a specific fuelling fault has been found, why do you want to have them done?

I was just going to have them done for peace of mind i suppose being a 98 car im just doing a few jobs to keep it reliable and running. I dont have any fuelling faults like you mention so yea maybe i will leave them alone.
Old 14th November 2010
Saab Sage!

If its a 98 2.0 car it will have the green injectors which you will be changing for bigger red ones once the tuning bug bites you
Old 14th November 2010

hya chris,

its a really nice motor thats why i dont mind spending some cash on it. regarding the tuning bug bitin me what would you suggest as a first go at tuning the engine for more torque/bhp? as you know its 150bhp at moment the 2ltr.
Old 14th November 2010
Saab Sage!

Hey fella, both of my 9-5's have been the 2.0 lpts when they started out in life so I know a little about them

I hope it goes without saying that any car will run better when fully serviced and well maintained, and similarly a well maintained car will cope better with any power upgrades!

In my opinion the 2.0 is a more refined, smoother reving engine than the 2.3, more economical too, and it responds very well to tuning. My first 9-5 had well over 100,000 miles when I started tuning it, and at 290bhp (almost 100% over factory power) I sold it and bought another, just so I could do it all again!

When the 2.0's were born in they had green injectors, adequate for the car but already peaked out! By 2000 Saab was putting the larger red injectors in. So along with any ECU tuning you will want to add a set of used red injectors (ebay etc will have them)

Now here is the great bit, a simple stage one tune on your car, with the red injectors will give you 50% more power

Infact you will instantly have more power / torque than the equivalent years aero model - but with a smoother reving engine and better fuel economy!

There are loads of threads on here about tuning, so rather than repeat all that do a few searched and throw me some PM's I'd be very happy to help

Maybe here is a good start: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=84017

Have a read up and "talk to me"
Old 14th November 2010

hey chris thanks for that info i will take a look at that link you sent. I'm probably looking at upgrading the ecu stage 1 and the red injectors like you say but not till after xmas because im going to germany for a week so money will be spent early new year on my car. Plus looking at a new cat i think mines blocked wont go over 80mph for some reason, normal running etc is great though. Whats your opinion on rebuilding these turbo's is it worth it if i ever needed to?

Wen you say 'ecu upgrade' do you mean a new ecu or a plug in like bsr etc? so the simple upgrade would take it to 225bhp? or am i over optimistic?

Any advice would be very welcome.
thanks.
Old 14th November 2010
Saab Sage!

Where in the UK are you fella?

Personally I'd buy a used cat either from www.neobrothers.co.uk or www.salvogroup.co.uk

I've read a few readers getting Turbo Techics to rebuld turbos but I'm not sure there is much cost saving, plus if and when you change it you want the bigger, more reliable aero one!

Oh and yes, ECU (either a replacement remapped one, or one programmed by PPC) plus red injectors = 225bhp+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement