Chevrolet Cobalt SS Vs Saab 9-3 2.0T - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan/Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop
Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 30th October 2010
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Oct 2010                                                
My Saabs: 07 Saab 9 2.0T - Sold 03/04/2013
Question Chevrolet Cobalt SS Vs Saab 9-3 2.0T

Is the Saab 9-3 2.0T capable of putting out what the Chevy Cobalt SS turbocharged does. 260 hp @ 5300 rpm / 260 lbs tq @ 2000 rpm vs 210 hp @ 5500 / 210 lbs tq @ 2500 rpm from Saab. They are the same displacement, so Im guessing these are the same engines just tuned differently. Aren't these these the same ecotec engines that GM used? Don't get me wrong, if I wanted a Cobalt, I would have bought one. I love my Saab. I see even with the BSR PPC that it doesn't put out that much. I know theres the more power Aero version but I don't want that either. I just want to know am I capable of getting the same numbers from my 2.0T with a chip and tunning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30th October 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2010                                                
My Saabs: 07' 9-3ss Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreno Chulo89 View Post
Is the Saab 9-3 2.0T capable of putting out what the Chevy Cobalt SS turbocharged does. 260 hp @ 5300 rpm / 260 lbs tq @ 2000 rpm vs 210 hp @ 5500 / 210 lbs tq @ 2500 rpm from Saab. They are the same displacement, so Im guessing these are the same engines just tuned differently. Aren't these these the same ecotec engines that GM used? Don't get me wrong, if I wanted a Cobalt, I would have bought one. I love my Saab. I see even with the BSR PPC that it doesn't put out that much. I know theres the more power Aero version but I don't want that either. I just want to know am I capable of getting the same numbers from my 2.0T with a chip and tunning.

a lot of changes were made for the lnf engine...it's direct injected and uses a k04 turbo, stock they may do 260/260...but you can easily brin it to 330whp/375wtrq with a tune...SS/TC is not the car u want to pick a fight with...now a ss/sc is another story...stock vs stock you should win...I ran. 2.2sc in my stock 93 and it was pretty even...that's considering the 2.2 has more displacement and higher compression than the ss/sc, not to mention he has running a smaller pulley too....
Old 30th October 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2006 Saab 9 2.0T Custom E85 tune by JZW

Quote:
Tuned I am running around 245HP/290 lb ft to the wheels, even if you only figure a 10 percent drive train loss that is still over the 260 figure, but from what I have seen of stock HP figures vs wheel horse power its tends to be closer to a 15 percent loss to the wheels.
Old 30th October 2010

My Saabs: 2006 Saab 9-3 SS

Quote:
To answer your question...Yes you can put out as much power as you want. It just depends on $$$. But with a with stage1 JZW tune you should be able to keep up with a stock cobalt SS with out to much issue. What you want to do is go with a stage3 JZW tune. I have heard great things about it and i hear it will make your car much much faster. Here is the link to JZW http://www.jzwtuning.com/index.shtml
Old 30th October 2010
Saabista

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: Black on black '97 Saab 3-door SE Turbo

Don't the stock Cobalt SS's come standard with an LSD? That would certainly be an advantage from a dead stop... Ron
Old 30th October 2010

Does it really matter if it does? I mean most cars it take us on the line, cause we are so heavy. Me im more for when cars get on my *** cause im not going as fast as them, so then i take off and they can catch up, Got love a roll.
Old 30th October 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2009                                                
My Saabs: '72 240Z, '98 XJR, '10 MS3

Yepp LSD is on the TC Cobalt SS, I wouldn't mind having one but there aren't any near me. They're pretty nasty little cars.
Old 30th October 2010
Saabista

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: Black on black '97 Saab 3-door SE Turbo

The day GM decided to go under, they listed the price of the Cobalt SS at around $14-k (in error) on their site. I called the a local GM dealer and told them I would buy two for cash. About 7 hours later, a saleman called and said GM had an error on their site. I have a .pdf file of the origional GM site at home if any one wants to see it... Ron
Old 30th October 2010

Heck yea i do.
Old 31st October 2010
Saab Crazy

Default Dissappointed

I know I beat an SS/TC with my 05' Grand Prix GTP but am kind of dissappointed that I can't pick a fight with a Cobalt. I really want to. I mean if it were a M3 or G37, I'd know better. But its not.
Old 31st October 2010
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jn2 View Post
a lot of changes were made for the lnf engine...it's direct injected and uses a k04 turbo, stock they may do 260/260...but you can easily brin it to 330whp/375wtrq with a tune...SS/TC is not the car u want to pick a fight with...now a ss/sc is another story...stock vs stock you should win...I ran. 2.2sc in my stock 93 and it was pretty even...that's considering the 2.2 has more displacement and higher compression than the ss/sc, not to mention he has running a smaller pulley too....
Which car had a 2.2? The SS/SC was a 2.0 too. Can we swap our saab turbos for the k04 turbo? The SC produced 205hp @ 5600rpm/200 lbs tq @ 4400rpm. Our Saabs produces slightly higher numbers. 210 @ 5500rpm/ 221 lbs tq @ 2500 rpm, even though our cars weigh more. If he was running a 2.2 and swapping pulleys, then it isn't stock.
Old 31st October 2010
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
I know I beat an SS/TC with my 05' Grand Prix GTP but am kind of dissappointed that I can't pick a fight with a Cobalt. I really want to. I mean if it were a M3 or G37, I'd know better. But its not.
Why would you be dissapointed? You drove the car before getting it right? You should have known exactly how fast it was before you even purchased it, besides you have a car that looks nice, is not all that common (at least in Denver where I live) And you can pick a fight with whoever you want, if they are stock you can hang with them decently. Stock it was always a good race between me and 350Z's, WRX's, older S4's, Cobalts SS/TC, 330's, GTP's, Eclipse GSX, etc
Old 31st October 2010
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Sep 2009                                                
My Saabs: 93 Saab Vector m6 spd

Quote:
How the hell did you do that? I have walked so many GTPs, used to race my buddy everyday to college(lot of back roads lived in the boonies) lol it was fun but always won.

I should add it was always from a roll, you'd be suprised what our turbos can pull off in 2nd/3rd gear there have been a lot of cars that I shouldn't have been able to keep up with but did. However the Cobalt SS/TC I have never raced one but I'm pretty sure it'd win if the driver knew what he was doing.
Old 31st October 2010
Saab Crazy

LOL I dont know how I beat him. I feel my old comp g would leave our saabs in the dust compared stock vs stock. Yes I test drove my Saab before I bought it and know how fast it is stock but until I start working under the hood and have it tuned, its no match for a GTP or SS/TC which is why Im saying that. Im not dissappointed with my 9-3 at all. Can't say it enough. I love it!!!!
Old 31st October 2010
Saab Crazy

If I can add. A Cobalt SS/TC vs a Saab.... Yes, Cobalt would definitly win but I mean the last gen Grand Prix GTP COMP G vs a Cobalt SS/TC. Close call. The Grand Prix was pretty awesome!!!!
Old 31st October 2010
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
but am kind of dissappointed that I can't pick a fight with a Cobalt
Quote:
Im not dissappointed with my 9-3 at all. Can't say it enough. I love it!!!!
Hmmmm guess I read your first statement wrong
Old 31st October 2010
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
but I mean the last gen Grand Prix GTP COMP G vs a Cobalt SS/TC. Close call. The Grand Prix was pretty awesome!!!!

Hmmm a 2900 pound car, vs a 3600 pound car, both with equal HP, and the 2900 pound car has shorter gearing and the 3600 pound car wins even with only having a 4 speed auto? That is awesome! Please invite me to your world, I cant wait to start taking on top fuel drags in my Saab!

Last edited by Saabstory34; 31st October 2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 31st October 2010
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabstory34 View Post
Hmmmm guess I read your first statement wrong
lmao!!
Old 31st October 2010
Saab Crazy

Quote:
If I can add. A Cobalt SS/TC vs a Saab.... Yes, Cobalt would definitly win but I mean the last gen Grand Prix GTP COMP G vs a Cobalt SS/TC. Close call. The Grand Prix was pretty awesome!!!!
Man, I don't know what you're talking about the Grand Prix was total garbage rofl. It has no chance I mean zero chance vs a Cobalt SS/TC.
Old 31st October 2010

Join Date: Jul 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD

i have the pontiac G5 GT right now. i have been wanting to no what saab parts are my car. i was told i have the 2.0 saab motor but the bored it out to make it a 2.4. so the motor in my car is a 2.4vvt ecotec is that a saab motor? also 05-07 cobalts didnt have lsd unless you got the G85. the TC ones 08-10 have LSD stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement