code P0300 03' 9-3 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 27th October 2010

Join Date: Oct 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2003 saab 93
Unhappy code P0300 03' 9-3

hi, i have a 2003 sab 9-3
i have my check engine light on and the code is p0300 (random misfire)
the car runs fine but when i step on the gas a little hard it shakes and studers, i've noticed it dies this when the turbo gauge needle is almost on the red part.
if it's the coils, how can i tell wich one is bad? or what is wrong?
please help, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27th October 2010
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Apr 2009                                                
My Saabs: 04 93 arc espresso black

Quote:
Originally Posted by digimurda View Post
hi, i have a 2003 sab 9-3
i have my check engine light on and the code is p0300 (random misfire)
the car runs fine but when i step on the gas a little hard it shakes and studers, i've noticed it dies this when the turbo gauge needle is almost on the red part.
if it's the coils, how can i tell wich one is bad? or what is wrong?
please help, thanks.
well it sure seems like an ignition issue the easiest way to find out is to buy one new one and replace them one after the other till the issue is gone. you also might be able to look at the coil itself and you might see a spider web crack like this it should also be on the rubber piece of the coil too, i believe this can show that the coil is blown both of mine had that crack on them

i rule your internet.
Old 27th October 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2005                                                
My Saabs: 04 9-3SS Hirsched Aero(Black)The Lady

Check for vacuum leaks.split pipes & alike..

ICM3 13sp system now with bluetooth audio streaming..
Old 27th October 2010

Join Date: Nov 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9³ Aero 6MT

Depending on the mileage of your car, you may want to replace all 4. They're approx $75 at rockauto and a very easy DIY repair. I bought 2 initially and did the dance of swapping them out. Found the shudder was gone but due to the age of the other coils, I was not getting full power, especially above 4K rpm. When I replaced all 4, all is good.

Hope this helps.
Old 25th February 2013

Join Date: Aug 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

2007 9-3 2.0T:

I thought I'd revive this thread as I'm having an issue with the same CEL code (p0300 with the occasional p0304). I've been having this issue where my car struggles to start (this morning it would not) when I try to cold start it in the morning. It feels like it is getting gas and trying to turn, but it just doesn't. I changed the spark plugs, which did not resolve the issue.

Once it struggles to start and eventually does, I let it idle for a few minutes and it runs fine. I can turn it off, then back on with no problem. I'm wondering what the problem could be. Ignition coils?

Last edited by death shot; 25th February 2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 25th February 2013

Join Date: Jan 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 Arc, 1988 900 Turbo

Those are random misfire codes. WIS says check fuel grade used, T8 software, spark plugs, ignition coils, injectors, cylinder compression, and fuel pressure.
Old 31st December 2013

Join Date: Dec 2013                                                
My Saabs: 2009 9-3 Sportcombi

Quote:
Originally Posted by death shot View Post
2007 9-3 2.0T:

I thought I'd revive this thread as I'm having an issue with the same CEL code (p0300 with the occasional p0304). I've been having this issue where my car struggles to start (this morning it would not) when I try to cold start it in the morning. It feels like it is getting gas and trying to turn, but it just doesn't. I changed the spark plugs, which did not resolve the issue.

Once it struggles to start and eventually does, I let it idle for a few minutes and it runs fine. I can turn it off, then back on with no problem. I'm wondering what the problem could be. Ignition coils?
Hello,
I'm having the exact same issue/CEL code with my 2009 9-3. Were you able to pinpoint/resolve the issue? Any guidance will help, thanks!
Old 31st December 2013
Super Moderator

Join Date: Oct 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9³SS Linear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateslaughter View Post
Hello,
I'm having the exact same issue/CEL code with my 2009 9-3. Were you able to pinpoint/resolve the issue? Any guidance will help, thanks!
The cold start issue or just the codes? If it's the cold start issue you won't be happy. Lots of 2007-2008 2.0Ts are having this issue due to incorrect (or cast, we don't know) intake valves in the head being put in. Not a cheap fix. See the sticky at the top of this forum. There has been a case of a 2009 with this issue. How many miles on your car?
Old 31st December 2013

Join Date: Aug 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateslaughter View Post
Hello,
The gentleman above speaks truth. I did have the issue resolved by the best Saab mechanics in the mid-Atlantic: Sports Car Services in Delaware (My lord what a beautiful Saab showroom filled with classic Saabs!).

The issue isn't really Saab's fault, but basically it requires a valve job as the intake valves were not hardened correctly and start to feather. This causes compression to leak and in really cold weather, you may not be able to start the car.

To me it was worth the cost as I adore my car.

I highly, highly recommend Sports Car Services Saab.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement