Early model rear pads and rotors? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12th October 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Aug 2010                                                
My Saabs: '99 9-5 LPT;'00 9-5Aero(MT);'03 9-5 3.0t
Default Early model rear pads and rotors?

So this has me stumped:

I wanted to put EBC Redstuff brake pads and new rotors all around my 1999 9-5. I ordered all my parts online, changed the fronts, and found a surprise when I got to the rear wheels.

I had the wrong parts! EBC Mfg# is DP3675C, and every Google search seems to specify the same parts. The rotors are wrong, the pads are wrong, and I just want to know if I can get EBC Redstuffs for the rearů

My hunch is that my early model rear calipers/rotors are carry-over from a Saab 9000. Can anyone confirm this, or at least point me in the direction of the right parts? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0266.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	19993   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0267.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	19994  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12th October 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2005 9-5 AERO Wagon 2.3L Auto

There was a mid-year change for the rear brakes in MY99. The pads you have are for the earlier design, that uses two pins to retain the pads, like the old Teves design caliper. Your car appears to have the later type calipers.
Old 13th October 2010

Join Date: Oct 2010                                                
My Saabs: 9 5 yr 1999 130k mls

the rotors you bought are what the spares book shows as the right ones, they are wrong. Every parts supplier I tried said the same, I had to re-order to get the right ones (on the right, the rusty ones in your pic) I buy Aut-X pads & discs for ALL my cars, they are good quality to boot. If you need Aut-X part numbers I will give them to you. Good luck
Old 13th October 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Aug 2010                                                
My Saabs: '99 9-5 LPT;'00 9-5Aero(MT);'03 9-5 3.0t

Thank you for the info! I figured there was some mid-year change, because of the 3 MY99 9-5s in my family, only 1 has the Teves design you mention. I didn't know if my setup was phased in or phased out though.

Next question: If I have the later type of calipers, I can just order pads/rotors for a MY2000, right? Or did these change mid-year too ?
I read EBC Mfg# DP31405C for the Redstuffs, so I'll try ordering these.

Rolandrat, thanks for the offer on the Aut-X info, but I'd like to match the flashy redstuff pads on my front wheels since they're quite visible.
Old 16th October 2010

Join Date: Oct 2010                                                
My Saabs: 9 5 yr 1999 130k mls

Hi, I reckon you can order the MY2000 pads, I have had a look on Motaquip online catalogue, and the pads seem to be the right ones for your car; Motaquip online catalogue shows pictures of the parts so you can identify which ones are right. Oscaro website also does this and has detailed info such as dimensions and OEM numbers etc. If you brake really hard from 100mph, the AUT-X pads go red too!
Old 26th July 2011

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 SE Convertible 2003 9-5 Wagon
Garage
Default Ebc 1051

After complaining to the seller of the wrong EBC rotors, he had a rep. for EBC America call me. We talked at length, but what he came up with was that the correct rotor, with the lip (his term) or flange on the back is USR1051 (this is the slotted, not drilled rotor).

I'll try to remember to confirm this when they arrive, if it fits.

I told him that all EBC sellers in the US have compatibility charts that are wrong. They always show the model 853 as fitting. He said he'll look into correcting this...haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement