That's my Xmas present sorted then. - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible > Saab NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning
Saab NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the Saab NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 17-12-03
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2002                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 2.0T Aero - Vtuner stage 0
Default That's my Xmas present sorted then.

I've just ordered myself the Koni sports suspension kit from Parts for Saabs.

I wonder if I can get Santa to fit it for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-12-03
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Nov 2002                                                

I thought you'd already just done a suspension job on your motor?
Old 17-12-03
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2002                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 2.0T Aero - Vtuner stage 0

That was only the springs and the standard shocks can't cope (the car 'bounces' badly) so I have to replace them. The Konis are the only real option open to me but are cheaper to buy as a kit c/w with springs and bump stops than on their owm...go figure
Old 17-12-03
Super Moderator

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
My Saabs: 9000 2.3 stg3, 9-5 waggon

So this'll be on eBay then?
Koni springs fit Saab new 900 unused.
Old 17-12-03
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1995 9000 Aero, 1991 C900 Convertible

Nice one bud.

This is what I'll be getting this Christmas I reckon ops:

Old 18-12-03

Join Date: May 2003                                                

Any ideas how much a garage would charge for replacing the suspension?
Old 18-12-03
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fish
That depends... Are you talking about getting them to supply the springs and dampers as well, or if you've already got them, and just have the garage fit them?
Old 18-12-03
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbott 900
Quote:
That depends... Are you talking about getting them to supply the springs and dampers as well, or if you've already got them, and just have the garage fit them?
Just ball park figures you understand, it'll take approx 45 mins per corner on the front and about 45 mins for both rears to be changed, so thats just short of 2 1/2 hours, then multiply there hourly rate by this figure, say 30, expect quotes in the region of 75+, if the fitters are also the suppliers they normally charge a little less.
This figure could be way off though depending on your local garage rates and whether have a 'oh a Saab, that's an exotic that is , jack up the price' attitude.
Old 18-12-03

Quote:
Quote:
Either/or really. I have some terrible handling at the mo and am looking at various ways of sorting it out, trying to get as much info as I can. Basically starting from knowing nothing though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtopcav
Quote:
Quote:
Just ball park figures you understand, it'll take approx 45 mins per corner on the front and about 45 mins for both rears to be changed, so thats just short of 2 1/2 hours, then multiply there hourly rate by this figure, say 30, expect quotes in the region of 75+, if the fitters are also the suppliers they normally charge a little less.
This figure could be way off though depending on your local garage rates and whether have a 'oh a Saab, that's an exotic that is , jack up the price' attitude.
Looking at this thread http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21288, if they're doing the one job they may as well do another right? Is replacing the bushes recommended to sort out handling?

Cheers all,
Matt
Old 18-12-03
Super Moderator

Quote:
Looking at this thread http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21288, if they're doing the one job they may as well do another right? Is replacing the bushes recommended to sort out handling?

Cheers all,
Matt
Certainly if you are interested in having the bushes done too then whilst the legs are out is the logical time, no point paying for the strip down twice, there is a genuine Saab handling kit for the 900's it lowers the vehicle a bit and reduces body roll on the rear suspension, contact PartsforSaabs, drop them a mail with your chassis no. and they'll be able to give you a price on the handling kit and what is included, they also do Powerflex bushes, integrating these two upgrade packages would be an improvement on the vehicles handling and of course have it all installed in one go.
Old 18-12-03
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Either/or really. I have some terrible handling at the mo and am looking at various ways of sorting it out, trying to get as much info as I can. Basically starting from knowing nothing though...
I've got the top adjustable Koni's, so I can alter the hardness of the ride, I'm not quite sure what it's on at the moment as I've never bothered to alter it, but it crashes and bangs over anything more than a coin lying in the road... Hit a manhole cover and be prepared to lose some teeth...

It goes round corners well though!!! 8) 8)

Although I need to replace the front Goodyear F1's which I put on new in Feb...
Old 18-12-03

My primary aim is to cut out the really loose feel to the steering. The car tramlines very easily, and very alarmingly at times. My girlfriend says she noticed it when I put on new 17" wheels with 225 tyres, but I know it was there before. I noticed it when I first testdrove the car before buying it. The nice chap from the AA said it was cool, so I didn't worry about it, but now its starting to get on my case.
It's starting to drift left as well. I'm sure it's all got to be related somewhere.

My secondary aim is to get rid of the (now larger) gaps between the wheels and the arches.

Of course, going round corners without roll is always nice, but I do like my teeth the way they are.
Old 18-12-03
Saab Crazy

Quote:
My primary aim is to cut out the really loose feel to the steering.
Right this can actually be something else altogether...

The way Saab mount the steering rack to the chassis, to put it bluntly is cack...

Abbott manufacture a steering rack clamp, which is about 300, this properly clamps the steering rack into place, and stops it moving at all... It's quite expensive for what you actually get, and I haven't got one yet, but it's supposed to be excellent.

You can see for yourself just how much the rack moves at the moment. With the engine off so the power steering pump isn't on, pop the bonnet, and get someone to wiggle the steering wheel left and right. While they are doing this, look at the bulk head where the steering rack is mounted, and you can see just how much it moves around in it's bushings, which it shouldn't do at all.

Having the clamp fitted, should stop the wheels being able to pull around by themselves, and it also stops torque steer.

And yes, it's worth getting the suspension sorted to get rid of that annoying gap between the wheelarch and tyres... :wink:
Old 18-12-03
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: 1990 T16, 1991 t16

The Abbott clamp and brace certainly reduce torque steer but they don't get rid of it. I think Abbott claim a 50% reduction in TS with the clamp and brace. The VRK will get rid of all TS. I noticed some TS returning when I grounded my front sub frame brace and knocked it loose. Luckily normal service was returned by tightening it up again. IMO it you are going the clamp and brace route it may be worth the extra 250 on top for the full VRK. It genuinely does what is says on the tin as long as your tire pressures are on the button. :wink:
Old 18-12-03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Sandey
The Abbott clamp and brace certainly reduce torque steer but they don't get rid of it. I think Abbott claim a 50% reduction in TS with the clamp and brace. The VRK will get rid of all TS. I noticed some TS returning when I grounded my front sub frame brace and knocked it loose. Luckily normal service was returned by tightening it up again. IMO it you are going the clamp and brace route it may be worth the extra 250 on top for the full VRK. It genuinely does what is says on the tin as long as your tire pressures are on the button. :wink:
So what's included in the full VRK? Can you arrange with Abbott to turn up and get it fitted by them?

Now we're back to the old tyre pressure thing again! I've noticed that the higher I run the pressure, the less the car seems to be affected by the tramlining etc. I'm currently running about 33-34 as I didn't want to go too far.
Old 18-12-03
Saab Lunatic

Have a look here. You can get Abbotts to fit or a local garage you trust or yourself if you are feeling brave.
http://www.abbottracing.com/2002/index.htm
Click on 9-3 then Chasis and scroll down to the VRK, click on it and you will have all the detail you need.
Old 19-12-03
Super Moderator

Y'know running a tweeked V6 with its very smooth & linear power curve the torque steer is a lot less obvious, yet because of the engine's higher mass understeer is a bit more of an issue, this kit helps with understeer too doesn't it? [OK I admit I've looked and I'm going hmmm 8) ]
Especially as I may make the push for 215bhp next year.
The kit had;
Solid steering rack clamps & brace bars
Poly bushes for the lower arm
Uprated bottom ball joints
Brace bar for the lower subframe
All for 495 + shipping & fitting .
Yet I've know 3 people with it fitted to quick 900's and they all say it's worth it.
Old 19-12-03
Saab Crazy

So Rob, the clamp comes as part of the full VRK for 495???

... and that's what you got?

How much did a garage charge you to fit it, or did you have it done at Abbott's?
Old 19-12-03
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
So Rob, the clamp comes as part of the full VRK for 495???

... and that's what you got?

How much did a garage charge you to fit it, or did you have it done at Abbott's?
Yep the brace and clamp all come for the 495 yep and that is what I got. That figure is plus VAT. Abbotts will fit the kit for 50 plus VAT. My local guy did mine and charged 90 but he was a hellofva lot closer to me than Abbotts. It would be worth giving Abbotts a ring to confirm the fitting, my memory isn't that good.
Old 19-12-03
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
I'm currently running about 33-34 as I didn't want to go too far.
I am running exactly the same pressure as you, I have no trouble at all with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement