iPod aux mod - Page 4 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning

9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the 9-5

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 23rd November 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9⁵ Aero 5spd | 1997 9000 Aero
Garage

So I've a couple updates to report:

Quote:
Originally Posted by j006 View Post
I think there's an issue with the keypad unfortunately All buttons work great except the green answer/redial button. I can't get a button press to register anything on the mobile phone. It makes me think it's a hardware issue because all other buttons work perfectly. I emailed the company so we'll see what happens.
Spoke with a tech and they are sending me a new keypad; they were extremely nice and helpful, and also knowledgeable about the product, which is refreshing!

Quote:
There is also some popping sounds whenever it switches into telephone mode when a call comes in or when you are initiating a voice action. It's a little random but annoying. I've heard of others having similar issues so maybe some sort of inline ground loop isolator is in order after all.
Found out why this is happening; Apparently the little unit is capable of boosting the volume up to 40W itself, so that's why they recommend splicing right into the speakers AFTER the amp. The way I have it wired is using the unit's amp before even going thru the SAAB amp, which explains the popping and the less than stellar music quality. Lowering the volume on the unit way down and using the car stereo to raise the volume helps quality quite a bit actually. Still a line output from the unit would be best. More on that below.

Quote:
The mic I installed in the stock location in the above console behind the small grill; callers remarked that I sound slightly distant and I believe the mic is of a directional type, so I need to reposition it a bit to get the best reception.
I repositioned the mic to point directly towards me as it is indeed directional and callers say that the quality is much improved!

Quote:
The quality is OK but it could definitely be better. I think it would improve if I used the line level outputs from the bluetooth harness instead of the speaker level outputs.
The tech recommended against the way I had it installed, since the G2-1100 harness has speaker outs for front, rear, left, and right. I suppose I could tap in right after the amp and probably get better quality sound (albeit low volume) but it's going to take some experimenting. Also, there are some unused line-out pins on the unit's board, so I may try tapping those first to see what I get before doing all the wiring after the amp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24th November 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 2.3L LPT

Glad you're getting most of the kinks worked out. If there's any way at all to run regular line out from the device to your head unit, you should really try it. Doesn't make much sense to have some other device controlling the audio when your head unit can do a far better job (it has equalizer, volume, etc).

As far as the circuit gw0udm talked about in his last post, I also don't quite have the electronics knowledge needed either but I have enough to get me somewhere here. What I do know (or at least think is right):
- Just a transistor (or two) should be needed, no relay or op amp
- I believe our stereo works on the basis similar to schematic D on the TRS Wikipedia Page (schematics most of the way down)
- You would have to find somewhere on the board of the device that provides power only when a bluetooth device is connected.
- Possible setup of this would be to have 2 NPN transistors, splice them into the tip and ring connections of the audio connector, with emitter and collector on either side. Small voltage source that only turns on when device is paired goes to the base connection of each transistor.

Someone is welcome to tell me that I'm completely wrong on any of that, I won't be offended. If I somehow come across some free time I may try to throw together this type of setup but use an old/cheap mp3 player just in case something isn't quite right.
Old 25th November 2010
Saab Lunatic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdunne8 View Post
Glad you're getting most of the kinks worked out. If there's any way at all to run regular line out from the device to your head unit, you should really try it. Doesn't make much sense to have some other device controlling the audio when your head unit can do a far better job (it has equalizer, volume, etc).
Totally agree here and that's my next task at hand. As soon as the replacement keypad comes in I'm gonna tap into those line-out pins on the device as I have to get inside the dash to replace the keypad anyway. Honestly, if the line-out works and the sound quality as good as I think it will be, I won't have the need for a switch at all since the unit already mutes the radio when it should and all other functionality that I wanted is built-in. Pretty sweet actually!

Cheers
Old 26th November 2010
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Sep 2007                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 Aero

I am actually gonna try out this mod, cuz I am tired of playing around with cd's;

I just wanna make sure I understand before I start. Is this right:

Some questions:
Now, mp3 player connect could be female or male, right? It depends on how I want to connect it to the mp3 player? Any advise on whether to run a female or male cable?

On/Off switch basically activates the Telephone mode?
Old 27th November 2010
Saab Lunatic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
I am actually gonna try out this mod, cuz I am tired of playing around with cd's;

Some questions:
Now, mp3 player connect could be female or male, right? It depends on how I want to connect it to the mp3 player? Any advise on whether to run a female or male cable?

That's right. The on/off switch mutes the radio and engages the telephone mode; basically it emulates what most any wired telephone kit or bluetooth kit does automatically. I think what it actually does is ground the circuit and pull the voltage of the radio way down to almost zero, which essentially mutes it. Correct me if I'm wrong here guys...

If you are definitely going the hardwired route instead of bluetooth, I would get a male cable so that you can plug it directly into any ipod, iphone, or almost any mobile phone or MP3 player. A female cable will work of course but I think your connection options will be limited unless you have something particular in mind. Do you?

Cheers
Old 29th November 2010
SaabNut!

My Saabs: 2000 9-5 2.3L LPT

Quote:

Some questions:

I personally went with a female cable because you can make it look somewhat stock. Take a look at my installation pictures a page or two back. Basically, you just wire up a female connector somewhere and then have another male to male cable that you pull out whenever you want to use it.
Old 2nd December 2010

Join Date: Feb 2005                                                
My Saabs: saab 9000 cd N/A, saab 9000 Aero

Would this mod work in conjunction with a bluetooth kit if an ipod was being used for music and a phone was being used through bluetooth kit?

I can't quite work it out but I get the feeling that the ipod would continue to play through the speakers when the phone was answered cause its hooked up through phone input?

I know a few people mentioned that they were using both but they seemed to be using their phone as their music source meaning the phone would handle the music cutout.

Any idea??

Thanks
Old 10th December 2010
Saab Crazy

I cannot really see properly on this picture. Are all three cables are soldered to the circuit?
Old 10th December 2010
Saab Crazy

My Saabs: 6 former Saabs

Quote:
I cannot really see properly on this picture. Are all three cables are soldered to the circuit?

They are. I found just heating the soldered area with the tip of the gun was enough to get the wires to adhere well. I attached the ground circled in red to the area circled in yellow. It was easier to do. My board is a tad different and the area in yellow on mine looks to be a soldered connection if I recall.
Old 11th December 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Oct 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-5 Aero Sdn 5sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in NM View Post

They are. I found just heating the soldered area with the tip of the gun was enough to get the wires to adhere well. I attached the ground circled in red to the area circled in yellow. It was easier to do. My board is a tad different and the area in yellow on mine looks to be a soldered connection if I recall.
I soldered my ground the the large solder blob halfway between the red and yellow circles above. It was clearly a large ground spot on the board. I agree, the soldering does not take much. I melted a bit a solder on the end of the wires first. Then all I really had to do was warm the wire and just touch it to the spot on the board (well I had to warm the board as well but it was a lot easier than trying to loosen the small bit of solder on the board)
Old 12th December 2010
Saab Crazy

Just finished my switch:
Old 13th December 2010
Saab Lunatic

Garage

Quote:
Just finished my switch:
Looks beautiful! Turns out my switching is done automatically so I didn't need to wire one up, BUT this is the exact switch I was going to use when I was planning to put one in. Very nice, clean install.

Got any plans for that CF wrap in the background?

Cheers
Old 13th December 2010
SaabNut!

Quote:
Just finished my switch:
identical to mine! Nice work. they look almost stock when installed
Old 13th December 2010
Saab Lunatic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateWI View Post
identical to mine! Nice work. they look almost stock when installed
Agreed. I almost want to find something that I need a switch for just to used one of these; I would love to replace my non-functional OnStar button with one of these witches that is actually functional.
Old 13th December 2010
Saab Crazy

Thanks guys!
That CF wrap is already on the slide-out part for the keyboard, looks pretty good!
Old 29th December 2010
Saab Crazy

I just finished the mod, and it works, but I am not sure if it is working properly.
First, with Switch ON, and MP3 player OFF, there is a noise coming from speakers. Sort of like static. Is it supposed to be like that?
Second, when MP player ON and Switch OFF, music from mp3 player is still playing in the car with reduced volume/quality. Is it supposed to be like that?
Old 29th December 2010
SaabNut!

Quote:
I just finished the mod, and it works, but I am not sure if it is working properly.
First, with Switch ON, and MP3 player OFF, there is a noise coming from speakers. Sort of like static. Is it supposed to be like that?
Second, when MP player ON and Switch OFF, music from mp3 player is still playing in the car with reduced volume/quality. Is it supposed to be like that?
as far as I know, yes and yes. I unplug my MP3 when not in use to avoid the static and the purpose of the switch is to provide a better mute to the radio when the MP3 is playing. You can use it without the switch but you'll have more background noise and reduced volumne. It's not a perfect mod but it works pretty darn well I think.
Old 30th December 2010

Join Date: Aug 2007                                                
My Saabs: Saab 9-5 Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateWI View Post
as far as I know, yes and yes. I unplug my MP3 when not in use to avoid the static and the purpose of the switch is to provide a better mute to the radio when the MP3 is playing. You can use it without the switch but you'll have more background noise and reduced volumne. It's not a perfect mod but it works pretty darn well I think.
Yes, this sounds about right to me. The latter point is the main sticking point, and the things that makes it less suitable for a permanent install.

What is needed is to switch some part of the input cable from the mp3 player (perhaps the ground?) to eliminate the partial muting of the radio signal.

I just plug in my phone when required, so it's not too much of an issue... but it would be nice to finally nail it.

James
Old 30th December 2010
Saab Crazy

I installed a microphone jack in the compartment under the Ac. Here is what I am thinking: wire the jack and the switch together, so when I switch it off it kills the incoming signal ...
Old 1st January 2011

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2002 9-5 arc

Some possible words of caution about this mod. I've had it for about 3-4 months now I believe, and I noticed recently that my weatherband tuner on my radio no longer works. Could someone else with this mod try their weatherband and let me know if it works? I'm thinking either this mod disabled it somehow, or the shop that tinted my windows may have damaged the antenna, although regular radio reception is fine. Where is the antenna for radio and/or weather band located, windshield?

EDIT:Nevermind. If this happens to you, try switching between Euro and US modes by holding down the SEEK button when the radio is turned on.

Last edited by starlightfury; 1st January 2011 at 10:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement