'04 Sedan - Won't start with a new starter - click, click - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10th September 2010

Join Date: Sep 2010                                                
My Saabs: 9-3
Unhappy '04 Sedan - Won't start with a new starter - click, click

Hi all,

I have a 2004 'little t' that just decided to give up on starting by itself. When I would turn the key to start, you would hear a loud CLICK pause CLICK as the solenoid engaged. But the engine would never turn over. Battery was fully charged and even had another vehicle hooked up to jump while starting, no go. Later on, I banged on the solenoid with a hammer while the wife tried to start the car. That worked to engage the starter two times. After that, nothing.

I picked up a new starter and replaced it last night. Went to start the car and same problem. Only much more forceful as the new starter showed off its youthfulness.

We checked and cleaned the battery terminals and hooked it up to a charger with boost mode. Same thing.

We removed the new starter out and laid it on the garage floor, hooked jumper cables up to it and to the battery in the car. The solenoid engaged just fine and it spun just fine.

So it appears the battery and starter are in good condition.

But now I'm lost. When the starter is installed, it definitely tries to engage the solenoid, but nothing further. There are no abnormal warning lights on the SID. It would seem that the starter relay is working, as the starter is trying to engage.

What else can I do to troubleshoot, short of taking it to a dealership?

Please, Help!

-Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10th September 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1988 C900 SPG

So the engine won't turn over at all, save for a few times? It sounds to me like perhaps an electrical short or grounding issue is happening somewhere. Have you checked your fuses, relays, and grounds yet?

I've had the same sort of issues on an older non-Saab, I systematically checked the battery, starter, alternator, and fuel pump. It turned out to just be a heavily corroded ground.
Old 10th September 2010

Yeah, it hasn't turned over once or even sounded like the starter was ever able to engage the flywheel.

All fuses and relays in the box next to the battery check out. (haven't looked around if there are others)

Would running a jumper cable from the negative terminal down to the starter case be sufficient to rule out a bad ground?

Thanks for the help!

-Mike
Old 11th September 2010

Join Date: Jul 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc SS, 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero

A few weeks ago my 03 9-3 SS had the same issue. I had just installed the Aux-in and according to the dealer when I placed the Climate Control panel back in I pinched one of the wires giving me the message "Starter Immobilizer Failure". The clicking was noted here as well, not sure if the cause is the same, also a word of caution for those installing the aux-in as I thought I was extremely gentle with the connections. Works great now though!
Old 11th September 2010
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 linear

Quote:
Originally Posted by digerata View Post
\

Would running a jumper cable from the negative terminal down to the starter case be sufficient to rule out a bad ground?
Certainly, as long as you can find a clean and non painted spot.

Was the starter brand new? Or remanufactured? Even if it works outside the car, it might have a defect that only shows up when it's in position or under load. If you bought it locally, I'd suggest exchanging it.
Old 12th September 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9³ Arc

Until you tried with a new battery you can not rule out the possibility of a bad battery. If it's on the same battery since 2004, it surely could be time to replace the battery.
Old 13th September 2010

The starter was remanufactured. The battery has been replaced once. I'm definitely considering trying another starter from O'Reilly. Haven't had a chance to get back to it yet.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 15th September 2010
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2005                                                
My Saabs: 06 93 TiD Combi, #2 TiD Combi soon

Ive yet to see one of these starters go bad. See lots of batteries. Its not impossible for a clamp to corrode or cable or lug to go bad. Run a jumper cable from the battery to the starter stud to eliminate that.
Old 16th September 2010

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 2.0T Arc Auto

+1 for the battery. My car went click click about 2 months ago and I had a neighbor try to jump it and it didn’t work. All my lights, stereo and windows would work but the car just wouldn’t turn over. We tried for about 20 minutes with his truck running and it still wouldn’t work. I called AAA out and they tried the mobile booster and that didn’t work either. He had to go pull a brand new battery off his truck and put it in my car just to get it started.

Once it was started I went and bought a trickle charger and came home and put it in the garage and didn’t even open it. It seemed like my car was starting fine after a short drive and alternator charge so I just let it be.

Well last week my car decided not to start again. Click click with all the lights and windows working but would not turn over. I put the trickle charge on for 10 minutes and it started. I went to my friends house for a few hours and when I was ready to leave it would not start. Well he had just put a brand new battery in so he jumped me and it work. Got home and it wouldn’t start again. I put the trickle charge on for a couple hours and it started. Then left the charger for a couple more hours and it wouldn’t start again. Then I left the charger on all night and finally got it started in the morning and went to buy a new battery. Everything it fine now.

I think I read somewhere that there is a sensor that cuts power to the starter if it doesn’t detect enough amps or something.
Old 16th September 2010
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: 07' 9-3ss Aero

clicking normally means the battery doesnt have the juice to turn the flywheel over enough to turn the car on...you can try a # of things to turn the car on, one way is to connect the contstant 12v stud on the stater with the smaller stud, not the ground, but the only other stud on it, this will jump 12v to it and cause the starter to turn over, be sure to have the key in the on position, this will start tunring the engine over and turn on like normal, if there is enough juice in the battery it will just try and turn over with slow wa wa wa wa wa sounds...slowing down the more you try...

another thing you can do is if the vehicle is a manual, try popping the clutch, that will start a car with a dead battery aswell.

also you can take a multimeter and check the constant 12v stud and make sure there is 12v on it, there should always be 12v regardless of the car beign on or off, that will tell you if the charge is good, than you can use a multimeter on the smaller stud to check how much power actually goes to it. if its less than require(check with a svs manual or saab svs program thing) to see how much volts should be going to starter, than it could be something eletrical...
Old 15th August 2011

Join Date: Aug 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2004 saab 9-3 linear
Default 2004 SAAB 9-3 Linear Turbo 2.0 wouldn't start

Hi, just bought 2004 Saab 9-3 linear with 89k at the auction with a dealer (my friend). We left it there for 2 days. When came back to pick it up, started right away, no problem. Drove it for the whole day, next morning it wouldn't start, bettery is dead. Ok, took booster, everything works but it wouldn't start. Tried cables, same thing. Starter clicks but doesn't turn. Tried to bypass the starter, starts right away, no warning lights besides traction control failuar (was like this when i bought it). Charged bettery for 2 days, bettery is dead. My mechanic told me that he wouldn't tuch it & SAAB means: "Some A.s.s.hole Actualy Bought it"...
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 15th August 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2004 Nocturne Blue 9-3ss Linear
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeafy View Post
Hi, just bought 2004 Saab 9-3 linear with 89k at the auction with a dealer (my friend). We left it there for 2 days. When came back to pick it up, started right away, no problem. Drove it for the whole day, next morning it wouldn't start, bettery is dead. Ok, took booster, everything works but it wouldn't start. Tried cables, same thing. Starter clicks but doesn't turn. Tried to bypass the starter, starts right away, no warning lights besides traction control failuar (was like this when i bought it). Charged bettery for 2 days, bettery is dead. My mechanic told me that he wouldn't tuch it & SAAB means: "Some A.s.s.hole Actualy Bought it"...
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Replace the Battery, you already know it's dead.
Old 15th August 2011

Default 2004 SAAB 9-3 Linear Turbo 2.0 wouldn't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturne View Post
Replace the Battery, you already know it's dead.
Thanks for replaing, You probably right, my question is how did the battery start after seating for 2 days? 1 guy told me its a battery, thats y i cant start the car. an other said that starter drains battery, third 1 said its may be security.
Old 15th August 2011
Saab Lunatic

Garage

Quote:
Thanks for replaing, You probably right, my question is how did the battery start after seating for 2 days? 1 guy told me its a battery, thats y i cant start the car. an other said that starter drains battery, third 1 said its may be security.
No different than a cell phone. The battery might have just enough juice to turn the phone on and show "low batt". When you turn the phone off, the "cells" in the battery kinda rest themselves and are able to store a bit of extra energy. When you turn the phone back on after 20 min or so, it'll show one bar of battery for a little bit, but still won't be enough to really use the phone as the battery will die just as fast as before when it showed zero bars.
Old 15th August 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2005                                                
My Saabs: 06 93 TiD Combi, #2 TiD Combi soon

Bad battery is prolly #1 SS/SC/CV problem. Its most cars #1 problem. Especially during weather extremes. What does "your" ahole mechanic prefer anyway?
Old 15th August 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlsabe View Post
Bad battery is prolly #1 SS/SC/CV problem. Its most cars #1 problem. Especially during weather extremes. What does "your" ahole mechanic prefer anyway?
you r right but wouldnt it start with a booster even with a bad bettery and he is my EX-mechanic
Old 15th August 2011
Saab Lunatic

Garage

Quote:
you r right but wouldnt it start with a booster even with a bad bettery and he is my EX-mechanic
Not entirely. It was posted on here before and I think it hits the nail on the head. There are cars and there are SAAB's. Everything you know about cars does not apply to SAAB's. They rely extremely heavily on the battery, even when the car is off. Charging would only help if the cells in the battery can fully hold the charge.

In other words, charging the battery doesn't always work. It's been posted on here countless times that "I charged the battery and it still won't start". "I took it to Autozone (or whatever other place) and they tested the battery and it was fine. Drove it home and parked it. It started today but after I drove to work, I tried to start it and it won't start, so I had XYZ replaced for X amount of hundreds of dollars, and the car died on my way home".

In each case, once they put a new battery in, the car was fine.

Last edited by Nocturne; 15th August 2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 15th August 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Mar 2009                                                
My Saabs: 03' 9-3 Arc Stage 1

I can vouch for nocturne's statement, saab is strange, sometimes you can't jump start the battery and it can died all over a sudden without warning.(from past experience).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement