2001 9-5 Tapping Noise Video - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > Saab 9-5 Workshop
Saab 9-5 Workshop Saab 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-09-10

Join Date: Nov 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2001 Saab 9-5 GT
Angry 2001 9-5 Tapping Noise Video

I cleaned the oil pan and pickup screen, it was clugged. There is lots of oil getting to the top, I removed the valve cover and started the car it's hard to tell where the noise is coming from. Also to my surprise the cylinder head looks like brand new, the previous owner must've replaced it, but never cleaned the pan and screen. I wonder if not enough oil from being clugged might have caused damage. Here is the link to youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qwk8iMF3VY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-10

Join Date: Sep 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9-5 Arc V6 3.0t

Water pump I think. Had the same noise when mine went http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckfaM3jkEP8
Old 04-09-10

Join Date: Mar 2007                                                
My Saabs: '96 9000 Aero ... '86 SPG... '86 c900s

x2 on water pump. 9-5 was making some really nasty noises, thought the engine was toast, like a piston dying or something... Turned out it was the water pump bearing on ours :P Phew!
Old 05-09-10
Banned

Join Date: Nov 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5 Aero

is the oil full?
Old 05-09-10

Default 01 9-5

Yes its got fresh synthetic oil, I'm going with the water pump, if I took the serpentine belt off, the noise should go away or not?
Old 05-09-10
Banned

Join Date: Nov 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5 Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman3 View Post
Its got fresh synthetic oil. By taking the belt off I can test if its tha pump or not?
im assuming you can turn it on for like a min or so but keep in mind your getting no coolant passing through the engine block.
Old 05-09-10

Join Date: Sep 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9-5 Arc V6 3.0t

Quote:
Yes its got fresh synthetic oil, I'm going with the water pump, if I took the serpentine belt off, the noise should go away or not?
You can check by doing this. Take of the belt and see, if you don't have the noise anymore is the water pump. If still the noise is there you have another problem.
Old 05-09-10

Join Date: May 2006                                                
My Saabs: 99 9-5 Wagon, 97 900, 90 9000 SPG (SOLD)

Quote:
I cleaned the oil pan and pickup screen, it was clugged. There is lots of oil getting to the top, I removed the valve cover and started the car it's hard to tell where the noise is coming from. Also to my surprise the cylinder head looks like brand new, the previous owner must've replaced it, but never cleaned the pan and screen. I wonder if not enough oil from being clugged might have caused damage. Here is the link to youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qwk8iMF3VY
Tough to tell by the video.....it almost sounds like a head pipe leak, but that could just be the poor quality sound. Go buy a $10 stethoscope from your local autoparts store. That will help pinpoint where the noise is coming from. did you rule out your belt tensioner pulleys?
Old 05-09-10

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2001 95 wagon

I vote for the water pump. Had that same hard tapping sound and that is what it turned out to be. Note - the water pump that went in less than a year was an aftermarket so I replaced with a OEM. It could have been just that water pump.
Old 05-09-10

Join Date: Jul 2010                                                
My Saabs: MY02 9-5 Linear Estate w/ Maptun Stage 4

This is exactly what mine sounds like and I just put in a new engine and water pump (other parts too). I had this noise on start up and it hasn't gone away. It reminds me of a loose belt sound. Like the time my timing belt tensioner broke on my Del Sol. Sounded just like that. I'm hedging my bets on a belt tensioner. I'm also guessing you have the short belt. It seems likely that a loose short belt could slap the underside of your passenger motor mount.

I'll keep you posted on mine and how I fix it. Maybe it will help.
Old 07-09-10

Default 01 9-5 tapping noise

Took the serpentine belt off, the noise is still there. I'll just take it to the local saab tech.
Old 20-09-10

Default 2001 9-5 Tapping Noise Video

Here is a Pic of the head, I removed the valve cover

Old 21-09-10
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 2.3L LPT

Everything there looks really clean. Under my valve cover looks like crap after my sludge problem... Anyways, here are your possible tapping noise sources since it was still present with the belt off:

1) Rod Knock - Depending on severity, just changing the bearings could clear it up.
2) Bad Main Bearings - Again, replacing is an option but may just be a temporary fix.
3) Timing Chain Noise - Check your tensioner length (located on the back of the engine about 6in down through a hole) and see if your timing chain is stretched out too far.
4) Valve/Piston Problems - Another user around here looked through his spark plug holes and saw that a piston was missing a chunk. He had a bent valve as well. May be worth the 5min look.
5) Sticky Lifters (Cam Followers) - Replacement would require removing the cams and having new lifters that have been sitting in oil, diagnosis of bad lifters can sometimes be done using a "push test" by pushing down on each lifter and seeing if it resists force.
6) Exhaust Manifold Gasket Leak - Check all manifold studs to make sure they aren't broken off. Apparently you can hold a carbon monoxide detector near the manifold and if you have a leak it will go off like crazy. I believe this is what my sound is coming from and the manifold gasket just came in today!

Obviously there are other possibilities but these are the ones that you should initially start thinking about. As I said, I have a similar sound and a neighbor who I very much trust believed it was rod knock. I replaced rod bearings and the engine seemed to quiet down, but it may have basically been a placebo effect. In any case, the old bearings were a bit worn so I'm glad I did it. I have also replaced my timing chain which I know helped to quiet the engine down. Hopefully I will be able to report back soon and let everybody know that my sound was indeed a manifold gasket leak.

You may want to post more detail about the sound - how does it sound on cold startup vs. warm startup, does it ever go away or quiet down, does it only occur at certain RPM's, etc.
Old 21-09-10

The sound stays the same hot or cold and actually seems to quiet down when I rev past 2500rpm. I took the video with my phone so it makes it sound worst than it really is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement