2002 9-3 five door speaker sizes - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 24th August 2010

Join Date: Aug 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2002 93
Default 2002 9-3 five door speaker sizes

I just bought my wife an '02 9-3 five door. The stereo has two speakers in the dash, two in the front doors, and two in the rear panels above the wheel wells. Can someone tell me what sizes they are? The one in the driver's door doesn't work and the rest are sounding fairly rough. Is replacing all of them DIY or should I have a shop do it? The two in the back seem straight forward enough, the doors I'm not too sure about along with the two in the dash. Any info/advice will be appreciated.
Regards, Sam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24th August 2010
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1995 900 SE stage 3 @ 181k
Garage

The door speakers are 6.5" (17cm) and can only be accessed by removing the entire door card (do not try to pry the grilles out for these. The dash speakers are 3.5" (9cm) and are held in by a pair of torx T25 screws. The rear speakers are 6x9". If you are replacing them with aftermarket speakers, you will probably have to fit them from beneath rather than dropping them in from above like the stock speakers. (the rear basket of aftermarket speakers is broader and usually fouls the frame the speaker bolts to. fitting from below using bolts instead of screws solves this issue.)

There's a good guide here which should be exactly what you need.
Old 24th August 2010

Thanks for the info. I'd already figured the dash and rears out, but wasn't at all sure of the doors. It all seems straight forward enough so I suppose I'll give it a shot. All six of the existing speakers are goners, the surrounds are all dry rotted and cracked and/or crumbling. I've been looking at the Infinity 32 series as they are all two ohm impedence with 93-94 db sensitivity. As I understand from what I've read the OES speakers are 2 ohm. Correct me if I'm wrong. Again, thanks for the info.
Regards, Sam
Old 25th August 2010
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1995 900 SE stage 3 @ 181k
Garage

Not certain about the 93 with a pioneer headunit, but my 900 with the clarion headunit had 4ohm rear speakers 8ohm dash speakers and no door speakers. If you take each speaker out in turn and look at the base, it should have the impedance stamped/printed in black. I replaced all mine with 4 ohm speakers (alpine and infinity reference), but mine are no longer driven by the headunit as i fitted a separate amplifier.
Old 25th August 2010

Join Date: May 2004                                                

The door speakers in my '99 9-3 SE are OE setup as subwoofers. They have their own factory amp that plugs into the head unit. Even with healthy speakers in the doors, the sound is pretty weak. I put some Boston Acoustics 6x9s in the rear. I did mount them on top like the OE speakers but have to trim the frame a bit to make them fit.
Old 26th August 2010

The Infinity 32cf series for the rear and dash, and the 32si shallow depth series for the front doors are all 2 ohm but are 4 ohm stable when the impedence of the factory wiring is taken into account. These are all highly efficient speakers with 93 to 94 db sensitivity and should work well with an after market amp later on when I can afford to change the head unit. All three sets of these speakers will price out at $200 total shipped from Amazon. Pretty good deal IMHO.
Regards, Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement