check engine light with new high flow intake? - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > Saab 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning
Saab 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the Saab 9-5

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 29th July 2010

Join Date: Jul 2010                                                
My Saabs: 99 9-5 2.3t
Default check engine light with new high flow intake?

I just installed my new high flow intake from genuine saab and my check engine light came on all of a sudden has this happened to anyone else or is it just me??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29th July 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: '02 9 Aero, '89 900S

It wont throw a CEL on its own. Did you unplug anything during the install? Double check to make sure you buttoned everything up. Get the code pulled and go from there.
Old 29th July 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Aug 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2002 9-3 HOT

Check your vacuum lines, make sure the mass air flow sensor is hooked up (including the plug).
Old 29th July 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt.aero View Post
It wont throw a CEL on its own. Did you unplug anything during the install? Double check to make sure you buttoned everything up. Get the code pulled and go from there.
All i did to install it was take the clamps off the top of the airbox and bottom by the snorkal. Then i took out the snorkal and the airbox thats all i unplugged or took out then i tightened the clamp as much as i could onto the new filter
Old 30th July 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: May 2009                                                
My Saabs: somewhere, over the rainbow....

could be too oily. is it a k&n as opposed to a foam filter (k&n come with a nice heavy dose of "pre oiling"). Check your MAF sensor to see if its all oily.

Go to a dealer and get your code read. This could be something completely unrelated!
Old 30th July 2010

Join Date: Jan 2009                                                
My Saabs: MY01 9-5 Aero Sedan (T7Suited St 2+) LPG

Check the electrical connector to your airmassmeter. Perhaps with all the work done around that area you caused a wire to break or something like that...
Old 30th July 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jun 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 Saab 9-5, BSR PPC, 3" exhaust, TD04

Changing to an open intake won't in itself cause a CEL. So either it's totally unrelated, or you bumped something during the install.

If it were me, I'd first look over the install to make sure I didn't miss something. If everything looked good, I'd take it to get the code read.
Old 31st July 2010

It's a k&n filter and I just got my car all checked out About 2 or 3 weeks ago cuz I needed a new fuel pump so the codes have been read so it must be something I did during the install but I didn't see many wires or anything wen I was doin it so I don't know wat I did. I don't think any of them broke...... I guess I will have to look over it again could anything be really major if it had something to do with the install
Old 31st July 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: May 2009                                                
My Saabs: somewhere, over the rainbow....

dude, just becuase you got your car completely checked out a couple of weeks ago doesn't mean something else could have gone wrong unrealated to the filter!

Get the codes read or risk paying the price (could be an engine if its something like an oil leak from corroded PCV).
Old 19th August 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Aug 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2002 9-5 aero and 1995 9000 CSE (aero)

Im trying to figure out the same issue with my 02 9-5 aero. Put the new filter on and check engine light came on. I plugged in my scanner and got p0100 (MAFS not responding). I put the stock air box back on and brought it to the dealer under warranty and they said the MAF was bad and replaced it for free. It ran fine and had no errors after that and I drove it for 2 days. I decided it was safe to try the filter from genuinesaab again. I put it on, and after 15 miles the check engine light came back on AGAIN and i cant pass inspection. I put the stock box back on and have to bring it back to the dealer tomorrow under warranty agaiinnnn. I dont understand. I didnt move or touch any wires, and I work part time as a saab mechanic so I'm not an idiot about working on my car. Everything is set up right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement