Ferodo DS or EBC Red\GREEN? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning

9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the 9-5

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 26th July 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Mar 2008                                                
My Saabs: 9000CC B202i MT '88 | 9-5 Aero AT '05
Default Ferodo DS or EBC Red\GREEN?

Which pads better for every day drive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26th July 2010
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Mar 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-7X 5.3i

Can't comment on Ferodo's, but neither of the EBC are "good" for every day driving.

Now, if you want great pads for every day driving, put on original pads!
They will pull you out of your seat!
2006 9-7X 5.3i
Old 26th July 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jul 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 Aero 5spd

I am happy with my Reds, they arent as catchy initially as stock pads but they dont produce nearly as much dust and I've never had them fade.
Old 26th July 2010
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: '03 9-5 Aero, 08 9-3, '89 C900LM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmatt View Post
I am happy with my Reds, they arent as catchy initially as stock pads but they dont produce nearly as much dust and I've never had them fade.
I like my redstuff's too. They do lack grab initially but if you are on the highway and suddenly find yourself coming up to a stopped traffic jam, you'll be more worried about getting rear ended yourself and not the brake lights in front when you throw the anchors out

Last edited by Tailspin; 26th July 2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 27th July 2010
Saabista

Join Date: Sep 2004                                                
My Saabs: 04 9-5 Vector 2.2Tid

Greens are designed for lighter cars and tend to break up under hard use. Reds are good but i found them to be VERY abrasive on the rotors/discs causing them to wear prematurely compared to OE pads.

Old 27th July 2010
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: .

My ebc reds detached from the backing plates

They'll never be on a car of mine again
I decline to grant to SAABCENTRAL.COM a non exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sublicense, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information I submit to any public areas....
Old 27th July 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2004                                                
My Saabs: 93 Turbo X JZW

Yellow stuff are far better than reds stuff.

Work really well under heavy braking and track days. Work well from cold too.

If you don't need performance pads just go OEM
Old 27th July 2010
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 9-5 View Post
My ebc reds detached from the backing plates

They'll never be on a car of mine again
I saw that thread, pretty nasty stuff! I've been keeping an eye on mine for sure.
Old 27th July 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: MY05 9-5 Aero Wagon

Ferodo is nice for everyday but mine are slightly noisy with brembo grooved rotors.
Old 27th July 2010

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
My Saabs: 9000 2.3 stg3, 9-5 waggon

Having ran my 9-5 on Ferodo DS2500 then EBC Redstuff and currently on Yellowstuff, I will probably have yellow again. Not because they are the best.

Rotor wear is measurably less with them but pad wear rate is about 50% faster than Ferodo DS2500. The trade off is that they almost half the price of the DS2500 pads. Yellowstuff and DS2500 in performance are comparable. Both are smoother, more consistent, work better when really pressed and are far more dusty that redstuff. I have found the redstuff long lasting but harsh on the rotor face. I recently got rid of front redstuff pads on the 9000 to for yellowstuff - what an improvement but what a lot of dust!

I am running AP Racing 330x28mm rotors and CP5200 4 pot calipers on the 9-5. The rear has 300x20mm vented [as per late Aero] with stock pads. The balance with this brakeset is excellent.
1997 Fiat Punto 1.25 85hp
Old 28th July 2010
Saab Lunatic

Ive heard a lot of people say (including ebc) that yellowstuff is track only. What are your thoughts on the pads as a daily driver? That seems like a lot of brakes for everyday driving!
Old 28th July 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailspin View Post
Ive heard a lot of people say (including ebc) that yellowstuff is track only.
I remember the original Yellowstuff. They were dedicated track pads. They have since been reformulated and conform to ECE R90 [in most applications] and are therefore legal for road use. They are quite over the top for most road applications, I do have a habit of late braking pushing a lot of heat into them. Also I tow a lot, often a 1500kgs trailer [3300lbs] plus the car will be close to its maximum mass, so that's around 3600kgs [7920lbs] and I expect it to stop. Running such high temperature tolerant pads also allows speed control on long descents through the brakes too, allowing less reliance on engine braking.

The AP Racing brakes are a road legal set too, but a hang-over from my trackday past. Would I buy a set now? Probably not, I don't earn as much as I used to. One surprising benefit of them is with clever pad choice the rotors seem to last an eternity and the pads are actually quite cheap. Of course these brakes can be swapped from car to car as things change, all you need to change are the caliper brackets and rotor mounting bells as necessary.

I recently found an aftermarket rotor supplier for the AP Racing rotors that work out 135 per disc, just over twice the price of an equivalent set of good quality 308mm 9-5 aero/9-3 Viggen rotors. Seems expensive but they do last almost twice as long. Then factor in the pad cost saving and the fact that such brake kits are transferable makes them almost worthwhile owning. And there's a bit of bling attached to them too. It is the initial outlay which hurts!

Back to topic. From my own findings, the Ferodo DS2500 pads are the better set but pricey and dusty. If you can get a deal on a set though - go for it. I use Yellowstuff as they are almost as good but in my application half the price.

At just over 60 [inc taxes and postage] these were a good buy almost exactly two years ago...

I am just about ready to change them again, they are not at the 3mm friction material limit though. For heavily used front brakes I change them with about 6mm of friction material to go and they are currently 7mm. The good thing is that in that time, they have only shaved 0.2mm off the rotors [I really do document all this on all three cars] .

I'm not sure about EBC's bed-in coating. I suppose there some benefit in scrubbing the surface of the rotor, this removes the previous pad's deposits in the surface.

A quick web search revealed that for the AP Caliper the DS2500 pads are around 100 and the Yellowstuff are 55. For stock 9-5 brakes the DS2500 are around 120 and the Yellowstuff are 78[ish]. To be honest for how good these pads are I would not bother with ceramic pads unless I had really awkward to clean wheels and appearance mattered. If I was not such a press on driver and have high work-load requirements on my car I would use stock pads.

An additional comment on rear brakes. I have the larger [aero] type vented rotors with stock pads and this set up works really well. On the 9000 I have been running slotted rotors with Pagid fast road pads and more recently Redstuff. From my observations of performance and wear characteristics on the 9-5, when the time comes, the Redstuff pads will be replaced with stock pads - or equivalent.
Old 29th July 2010

Join Date: Feb 2009                                                
My Saabs: 95 Aero estate MY02
Thumbs up

I've been running DS2500's on the front for the last 2 years. They are a bit pricey but they're spot on even for day to day use. And under heavy braking even better. Yet to try them on the track but thats in the pipeline. I dont find them nearly as dirty as stock pads so yellow stuff sound interesting for the rears although I've been running stocks on the rear and the combination seems to work well.
Old 29th July 2010
Saab Sage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux95 View Post
I've been running DS2500's on the front for the last 2 years. They are a bit pricey but they're spot on even for day to day use. And under heavy braking even better. Yet to try them on the track but thats in the pipeline. I dont find them nearly as dirty as stock pads so yellow stuff sound interesting for the rears although I've been running stocks on the rear and the combination seems to work well.
I have the exact same combination, DS2500 front and stock rear, excellent!

Plus if paying the extra means I dont have to worry about the friction material letting go of the backing plate on the pad, I'm happy to pay it!

EBC - never again!
I decline to grant to SAABCENTRAL.COM a non exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sublicense, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information I submit to any public areas....
Old 29th July 2010

Join Date: Feb 2009                                                
My Saabs: 95 Aero estate MY02

Quote:

Plus if paying the extra means I dont have to worry about the friction material letting go of the backing plate on the pad, I'm happy to pay it!

EBC - never again!
Then again, maybe I will stick with the stock rears.You can rely on it even on a cold dark winters morning when you most need it. Fitted a full set of fast road/track day use pads to the wife's 850 T5, unfortunately she was caught cold on just such a day and by the time the brakes kicked in the damage was done. So plenty to be said for stock pads for day to day use.
Old 29th July 2010

Quote:

EBC - never again!
In what seems like a previous life I have got DS2500 pads to start to crumble, this was of course a track day situation. Though, this was with a mere 200bhp NA car weighing 1300kgs and fitted with Viggen/Aero size rotors. Of course since then they have re-formulated and improved. EBC will do the same.

I always find brake threads kind of funny. Having spent about ten years in rotor manufacture, a process engineer towards the end, I know have variable batches of parts are day-to-day. As such many observations and opinions without further background research are quite meaningless.

One of the joys of the internet is sorting the wheat from the chaff [not aimed at you Chris, this is a more general observation].
Old 29th July 2010
Saab Sage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtopcav View Post
In what seems like a previous life I have got DS2500 pads to start to crumble, this was of course a track day situation.

Yes but this was a road situation and they didnt crumble - they actually detached, whole from the backing plate............

Old 30th July 2010

Quote:
Yes but this was a road situation and they didnt crumble - they actually detached, whole from the backing plate............
Just a thought, what's the minimum thickness for those pads? That sliver of pad looks very thin or is it the angle of the shot? My thoughts are quite straightforward [and also why I change my pads well before the minimum] is that they lose their thermal capacity as they get thinner and as such any pad could suffer that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement