First look ......Impressed or disappointed ? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-2X, 9-4X & 9-7X > 9-2X Workshop

9-2X Workshop 9-2X Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 8th December 2003
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2003                                                
Location: Scotland - in, A Red 92 T16S De'cat 3"JT system, Hot APC, 9K FMIC, Whaletail, Carly Aero's, Spax'ed.
Default First look ......Impressed or disappointed ?

We seem to have had equal division before the 9-2X appeared from a equal ammount of SAAB and Subauru faithful as to wheather or not this car would be good for either stable.

Now, ... after we have seen comprehensive photo's of what seems to be the real 9-2X what are the immediate feelings about this car.

Impressed or Disappointed ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 8th December 2003

Join Date: Nov 2003                                                

Dissappointed the interior wasn't improved that much...
I like the wheels, skirts, and rear bumper, could care less for the front, the 2 tone seats, blah!
AO
Old 8th December 2003

Join Date: Dec 2003                                                

I'd buy one. I would have liked more interior upgrades, but the AWD, 2.0L Turbo and 5 speed outweigh the negatives for me.
Old 8th December 2003
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2003                                                
My Saabs: 96 900S, 01 9-3 SE

obviously people will buy it. if i where a WRX freak i would buy one too. but my problem is that it only comes in a wagon.

the problem w/ the interior is that it has no euro flavor to it. that's why i don't like japanese cars, or any asian car. the interiors just don't appeal to me
Old 8th December 2003
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                

Looks too asian for me too. I won't buy one (just bought a 9-3 so I don't have any money left :-? ). But I'm sure Saab will 'saabify' it to appeal enough to the mainstream Saab population.
Old 8th December 2003

I'm middle ground. I'll stick with my subie though.
Old 8th December 2003
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2003                                                
My Saabs: 02 9-5 Aero

I like the exterior, though I wish Saab had done more with the back. The interior is a let down - I hate the steering wheel which looks too japanese to me. But in the end I still like it and would consider buying one if I were in the market and the price is right (huge rebates, etc.)
Old 8th December 2003
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5 Aero 5-spd!

Id like to show you a few quotes that were in one of saab's press release..

"With standard full-time all-wheel-drive, powerful engines, and distinctive European design..."

"...we spent a great deal of time making sure it had a strong face and sleek Scandinavian lines."

"The new Saab 9-2X takes a number of styling cues from recently-presented Saab concept and production vehicles and presents Saab's view on what a fun-to-drive, versatile 5-door vehicle should look like."

the first two quotes are complete cr*p. I really think they are building themselves up for disaster, just because when this car is released EVERYONE is going to see that its a subaru. GM really doesnt know anything about european cars and what makes their styling so special and the importance of brand quality. Im really sad that they decided to take such a respectable car company such as Saab and force them into taking on a product offensive that will not only change their brand recognition but take away their heritage and everything they stood for.

Dont forget, Saab stood proudly on the fact that they were a small, quirky european car company that drew inspiration from their aircraft heritage.
Im sure there are many people at Saab AB that are as angry as some of us are.
Old 8th December 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethsev7n
Id like to show you a few quotes that were in one of saab's press release..

"With standard full-time all-wheel-drive, powerful engines, and distinctive European design..."

"...we spent a great deal of time making sure it had a strong face and sleek Scandinavian lines."

"The new Saab 9-2X takes a number of styling cues from recently-presented Saab concept and production vehicles and presents Saab's view on what a fun-to-drive, versatile 5-door vehicle should look like."

the first two quotes are complete cr*p. I really think they are building themselves up for disaster, just because when this car is released EVERYONE is going to see that its a subaru. GM really doesnt know anything about european cars and what makes their styling so special and the importance of brand quality. Im really sad that they decided to take such a respectable car company such as Saab and force them into taking on a product offensive that will not only change their brand recognition but take away their heritage and everything they stood for.

Dont forget, Saab stood proudly on the fact that they were a small, quirky european car company that drew inspiration from their aircraft heritage.
Im sure there are many people at Saab AB that are as angry as some of us are.
Like I've said before, I don't know if non-enthusiast "regular" buyers will realize it is a Subaru.

Also, small and quirky doesn't keep a company in business. They have to do what they have to do to keep things afloat...
Old 9th December 2003
SaabNut!

Join Date: Oct 2003                                                

I won't buy one. Not because I'm a SAAB purist (I like lots of marques), but because it is a very ordinary car. Sure, the mechanicals are probably WRX and lots of fun, but there are so many cars out there (new and classic) that are a ton of fun and so much better looking. As I said on the other thread, I do not think GM has pulled it off.

My prediction - it will sell in modest numbers, but will not be a major success. It will not sell well without incentives. Now this is a good thing, potentially, because the GM beancounters might just wonder why. They might even come to the correct conclusion.

Maybe. :-?
Old 9th December 2003
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2001                                                
My Saabs: 1996 9000 Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED
I won't buy one. Not because I'm a SAAB purist (I like lots of marques), but because it is a very ordinary car.
I'd argue the same of the 9-3ss - in my opinion it's just like every other repmobile currently plying the highways and byways of Britain.

However, for me the big advantage the 9-2 has over the current Saab range is the hatch/sportwagon. There are lots of Saab drivers who bemoan the lack of a hatchback model in the current range. If this vehicle opens up new markets for Saab then I say that can only be a good thing. Coupled with AWD I think this car will do well.

I agree that there may be other cars out there that are more fun and look better - but I bet you can't get the weekly shopping, pushchair, other assorted young family paraphernalia in them, and still have 200+ hp under your right foot, in the price range that the 9-2 will be launched at.

By the way - I'd have one (when they eventually decide to sell it in Europe ).
Old 9th December 2003
SaabNut!

Join Date: Sep 2003                                                

If it comes with all the necessary entry-level luxury trimmings, put me on the list! I've been hoping for a WRX with more luxury for awhile... :wink: Styling is subjective, many people do not like the new 9-3SS, so obviously how you feel about the 9-2 will differ person by person. The interior could have been dudded up a bit more, but it's a very functional interior that works with the driver to create a great driving experience. Anybody who hasn't experienced a high performance AWD vehicle like the WRX, S4, or 330xi should really go on a test drive. It might change the way you look at FWD and RWD cars....it did for me!:wink:
Old 10th December 2003
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1989 900t, 1990 900t, 1990 900 S, 87 SPG

I love how everybody is bashing GM for the existence of the 9-2.

GM, is just a name! "GM" does not produce cars.

Without GM, there would be no 9-2, ok I admit.

But, Saab politely asked Subaru for the chassis, only GM's product chief suggested it.
Old 10th December 2003
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2001                                                
My Saabs: I've had a few...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900t
Without GM I doubt if Saab would still exist at all.
Old 10th December 2003

Join Date: Nov 2003                                                

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon
Quote:
Old 11th December 2003

I thought it was pretty imprezzive Sorry, I had to :P

You all know I like it.
Old 11th December 2003
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
My Saabs: '03 Audi allroad 2.7T with tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon
Quote:
Actually, didn't GM snatch SAAB up on a whim because they were afraid Ford was going to right after Ford's purchase of Volvo (in order to own all the Swedish car companies)?? Too bad that didn't happen - at least Ford lets Volvo do what they want...
Old 17th December 2003

If I wanted a Subaru, I'd get a Subaru It looks like a Subaru, inside and out

At least my 9-3 is more Saab than this

What a way to dilute the brand.
Old 18th December 2003
SaabNut!

I've noticed something interesting, being on the outset of all this (I'm not a Saab owner, but I was lookin ginto getting a 9-3SS awhile back). When the 9-3SS was being introduced, the Saab community as a whole grumbled at the thought of non-hatch 9-3 built on a GM platform that is shared with, of all cars, the new Malibu. After being introduced, the new 9-3SS brought a lot of new customers into Saab showrooms, people that would have never considered an older 9-3 before. This is all despite the convictions of staunch Saab enthusiasts saying it "really wasn't a true Saab". So now we have a group of new 9-3SS owners, most of them not former customers of Saab, turning their noses up at the thought of a Subaru-derived Saab badged vehicle. Interesting how things come full circle? :wink: Like it or not, the purpose of the 9-2X is the very same purpose the 9-3SS had, which is to bring fresh, new customers into Saab showrooms.
Old 18th December 2003

Join Date: Aug 2002                                                

I love the 9-3ss, it is a 'proper saab'. It may have the underpinnings of a Vectra, but if you placed a 9-3ss and a vectra side-by-side you wouldn't have a clue that they were closely related. Then steps in the 9-2, place that side-by-side with an impreza and they're nearly identical - inside and out. There is a big difference between platform sharing and and sharing badges, which is why people like myself don't like or want this car - if I wanted an imprezza I'd buy one. What an absolute con on the part of GM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement