For Sale: 1988 Saab 900 SPG - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab MarketPlace > North America - Buy & Sell > Cars for Sale - North America

Notices

Cars for Sale - North America For Sale - All Saab Car Models to the Present Day

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 21st July 2010

Join Date: Jan 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1988 Saab 900 SPG
Default For Sale: 1988 Saab 900 SPG

I always said I'd never sell this car, but hey. Text copied from my local craigslist ad. What can I say? I want a 9000 Aero real bad.

I'm selling my 1988 Saab 900 (Turbo) SPG. Although I love this car to death, the fact of the matter is that I really want a Saab 9000 Aero. I've put a lot of work into making it run right, so it'll make a great car for someone. As much as I'd like to keep it, I need the cash to get a new car, so here I am.

some details

asking $4000 obo

-1988 Saab 900 SPG Turbo 16v
-154k miles
-5 speed manual
-2.0L 16v turbocharged I4
-3 door hatchback with folding rear seats

-Power windows
-Central/power locks
-power sunroof (works)
-heated leather seats
-A/C (blows cold!)
-Sony head unit (CD player, Harmon Kardon iPod integration kit, 4 Pioneer 120w speakers
-cruise control (works!)
-4 wheel disc brakes
-power steering

-200 cell high flow cat
-Flowmaster muffler
-open intake
-Swedish Dynamics Red Series APC box (about 15psi)
-20psi boost gauge
-new Bridgestone Potenza tires (RE960 A/S, 195/60/15)
-new ceramic brake pads
-new KYB GR-2 gas struts

-new water pump
-transmission rebuilt in 2003
-new front and passenger side motor mounts
-rebuilt distributor
-new ignition leads and plugs
-new thermostat
-new fuel lines and filter
-new APC Pressure transducer
-new APC pressure solenoid
-new drive belts (all of them)
-new A/C idler pulley assembly
-Sylvania Silverstar Ultra headlight bulbs
-new antenna (woohoo!)
-new shift boot
-more stuff I just can't remember

I've put a LOT of money and blood/sweat/tears into getting this car to be a reliable daily driver. It'll cruise at 85 with the A/C on during a 95 degree day all day long, I'd drive this thing across the country. If you're looking for a 900 Turbo/SPG, this is the one for you. Some good and bad below.

Good:
-Swedish Dynamics APC box makes the car a LOT of fun to drive (3-4psi over stock boost) while still retaining knock sensor protection. LOTS of fun when you hit boost
-Sounds amazing.
-almost all the little gadgets and gizmos still work. Rear window defroster? Yup. heated mirrors? Yup. Panel dimmer? Yup.
-will get more than 30mpg on the highway
-you can fit just about anything worth carrying in the back with the back seats down.
-super comfy highway car, also likes carving corners
-very well taken care of by Eric Patterson at Patterson Performance for things I can't/don't want to do myself
-insurance is super cheap

Bad:
-clear coat on the roof and trunk is peeling; this car spent a lot of time outside
-heated seats don't work, but they don't really work on any C900.
-car has a salvage title from getting whacked in the front end in a parking lot back in '03. It was properly repaired but you should know.
-small rust spot in trunk pan (spare tire)
-missing some of the chrome trim on the bumpers
-seats are torn at the seams a little bit
-dash has crack from sunlight
-other small stuff like that

so basically it's a solid, perfectly-running 900 SPG (one of about 7,700 imported between 1986 and 1993) that's a little quicker than stock, which has had a neurotically perfectionist owner for the last 2 years or so. If you have any more questions, feel free to email me and I'll answer them.

note: also looking for trades - a 9000 Aero 5MT, 9000CSE Turbo, or Volvo 854/855 Turbo/T5. If a 9000, must be a 5 speed turbo. Looking for something a bit more modern and bigger inside. Don't mind high mileage if the car runs well! I'm located in Raleigh NC.

shoot me a PM or send me an email at therealjames1028@yahoo.com if interested.

-James
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement