(Night Panel) trick does not work anymore for alarm - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 8th July 2010

Join Date: Sep 2008                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5
Default (Night Panel) trick does not work anymore for alarm

I am having the dreaded drained battery problem with the theft alarm.

I used to be able to depress the Night Panel button after removing the key so as to deactivate the alarm. It would bring up a message "Door Alarm Only."

Not so anymore. Instead I get nothing. In other words when I remove the key and press the Night Panel button nothing happens and the screen remains blank.

One other interesting note: In this condition, when I open the door of the car there is a "dinging" alarm type of sound that is occurring. This dinging when the door opens did not occur when the ole "Door Alarm Only" message used to appear.

Anyone know where I am going astray here? I need the "Door Alarm Only" condition again so that the Alarm will be silenced --- especially in the middle of the night!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 9th July 2010
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Feb 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5, '73 99, 89 SPG

I invite you to join me in the unplug it club. I would guess that the battery has just failed completely.
Old 9th July 2010

Join Date: Sep 2008                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5
Default It was the lock cylinder sticking

It was the lock cylinder sticking down. I found the answer and quote it with a video. Thanks

"The little thing that pops up in my video is what tells the car the key is out of the ignition. If it thinks the key is in the ignition it will disable the key's remote, the door chime will chime, the cabin lights won't turn on, and the radio won't shut off by itself. (FYI, you can turn the radio on anytime in the 9-5 by pressing the power button). Next time you take the key out look for that to pop up. Sometime you can tap on it and jiggle it around and it'll pop up. Otherwise try the silicon thing I suggested earlier."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab5Mfrq-wvA

Old 9th July 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2008                                                
My Saabs: 99 9-5 TD04 270hk::2000 Viggen 5-Door

Also its usually the capacitors not the batteries going on 1 and a half years and no false alarms yet...knock on wood, original batteries and new capacitors.
Old 9th July 2010

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2002 9-5 arc

If youre willing to spare about $30 total, have these guys rebuild the alarm siren unit for you. They warranty their work for life and have really good turn around time. I used them for my unit about 6 months ago and its been working well ever since. The listing says they only do 1999-2001 9-5 units, but I emailed them about my 2002 and they were able to fix it. The only difference after 2001 is that the siren unit is sealed with glue instead of held together with screws. All i had to do was carefully saw it open, drill a few holes, and add my own screws. Apparently they would have done this for me anyways, but I did it before sending my unit to them in an attempt to fix it myself. When I got the unit back they even added more screws and sealed the tiny gaps a not-so-perfect saw job on my part created. Of course you have to remove the unit from the car, but that takes no more than 20 minutes. Just remove the left front wheel and the plastic lining around the wheel well, and it is right there by your windshield wiper fluid tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement