P0089 Code, 2.8L V6. Any experience? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 7th July 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2009                                                
My Saabs: '72 240Z, '98 XJR, '10 MS3
Default P0089 Code, 2.8L V6. Any experience?

I've thrown a code on my 2007 Saab 93 with the 2.8L V6. Code P0089, the code says it is "Fuel pressure regulator performance" and in the WIS it says to inspect the fuel system for leaks, or the fuel pump is going bad. Car has 65000 miles on it, has anybody had this code? If so what was your issue? Hopefully the fuel pump isn't going out on me. The car rarely ever crosses below 1/4 full tank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 7th July 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2007 93 SS-AERO V6 MT6

first check the filler gas cap for three clips to close.
have a look of this post: check engine light - gas cap

Old 7th July 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jul 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero SS RICA Tuned

I've had a failed fuel pressure regulator before on different cars. It's rare, but anything can happen. A cheap fix you could try would be to replace the fuel filter. I'm assuming our cars have fuel filters. It's probably a 5-10 dollar part and it's really easy to change. It would probably just be clamped on somewhere in the fuel line running under the car. A clogged fuel filter would cause inconsistent fuel pressure. Just a thought.

Usually when a fuel pump starts to die it will cause your car to either stutter or even stall. A sure sign of a failing fuel pump usually means you won't be able to start your car. Usually hitting the pump or jiggling the car around will get the pump started again. It's usually the contact points that fail due to overheating. Pretty much when the fuel pump goes, it goes. It won't provide inconsistent performance.
Old 7th July 2010
Saab Lunatic

The gas cap was replaced about 2 months ago, and I always tighten it 3 clicks. This seems to be a deeper problem than just that, though the car runs perfectly fine and there is no hesitation as if the fuel pump is struggling to deliver the fuel smoothly.
Old 7th July 2010
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autotechnica View Post
I've had a failed fuel pressure regulator before on different cars. It's rare, but anything can happen. A cheap fix you could try would be to replace the fuel filter. I'm assuming our cars have fuel filters. It's probably a 5-10 dollar part and it's really easy to change. It would probably just be clamped on somewhere in the fuel line running under the car. A clogged fuel filter would cause inconsistent fuel pressure. Just a thought.

Usually when a fuel pump starts to die it will cause your car to either stutter or even stall. A sure sign of a failing fuel pump usually means you won't be able to start your car. Usually hitting the pump or jiggling the car around will get the pump started again. It's usually the contact points that fail due to overheating. Pretty much when the fuel pump goes, it goes. It won't provide inconsistent performance.
According to my dealership and on here the 2.8L has the fuel filter built in to the fuel pump and lasts the life of the car, well... is supposed to last.
Old 7th July 2010
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombs85 View Post
According to my dealership and on here the 2.8L has the fuel filter built in to the fuel pump and lasts the life of the car, well... is supposed to last.
Most fuel pumps do include a filter "bag" that attaches right before the inlet on the pump. I had this on my stock BOSCH pump and even the Walbro 255HP pump. Almost all cars have another fuel filter running inline with the fuel lines under the car. Maybe the SAAB doesn't have one, but just a suggestion. I can't see the SAAB using non standard fuel pumps as usually they are BOSCH or Walbro.
Old 7th July 2010
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autotechnica View Post
Most fuel pumps do include a filter "bag" that attaches right before the inlet on the pump. I had this on my stock BOSCH pump and even the Walbro 255HP pump. Almost all cars have another fuel filter running inline with the fuel lines under the car. Maybe the SAAB doesn't have one, but just a suggestion. I can't see the SAAB using non standard fuel pumps as usually they are BOSCH or Walbro.
I'll have it checked out, but the Saab tech was pretty adamant in telling me that there was no fuel filter to replace. Even though I bought a nice fuel filter for the 60000 mile service from ac delco that said it was for my car.
Old 7th July 2010
SaabNut!

Quote:
I'll have it checked out, but the Saab tech was pretty adamant in telling me that there was no fuel filter to replace. Even though I bought a nice fuel filter for the 60000 mile service from ac delco that said it was for my car.
lol... I don't know what to tell you. But AC Delco is usually spot on when it comes to applications. I get all my oil filters from them.
Old 9th July 2010
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '09 9-3 SS Aero XWD

No serviceable fuel filter on the SS/SC.

Also, I don't think there is a FPR on the V6, it uses a variable pressure fuel pump.
And you code could be the "evaporative canister"--some emmissions garbage.
Carbon Gray, Black Premium Leather, VTuned, 30% tint.
Old 9th July 2010
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicflash View Post
No serviceable fuel filter on the SS/SC.

Also, I don't think there is a FPR on the V6, it uses a variable pressure fuel pump.
And you code could be the "evaporative canister"--some emmissions garbage.
Cosmic, I actually do have the P0496 code also for the canister purge valve, I'll be replacing it soon so maybe I can kill to birds with one stone. The p0496 code says that pressure falls so that may be why I have a fuel pressure code on also. The p0496 code has been on for months, just in no hurry to fix it since it doesn't seem to be a pressing issue. Correct me if i'm wrong about that. The p0089 code has just come on in the past week so maybe after a few months the p0496 code is beginning to effect the tank pressure enough to throw another code.
Old 9th July 2010
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '09 9-3 SS Aero XWD

Quote:
Cosmic, I actually do have the P0496 code also for the canister purge valve, I'll be replacing it soon so maybe I can kill to birds with one stone. The p0496 code says that pressure falls so that may be why I have a fuel pressure code on also. The p0496 code has been on for months, just in no hurry to fix it since it doesn't seem to be a pressing issue. Correct me if i'm wrong about that. The p0089 code has just come on in the past week so maybe after a few months the p0496 code is beginning to effect the tank pressure enough to throw another code.
I've had the P0496 for months as well. I also got the "fuel trim low bank 1" which is associated with the 0496 I think.
I notice when I fill up with gas while warm the car takes several seconds to crank over. I've reset the code a couple of times with my BSR however in the beginning it would go out by itself after a few days.

Do you know what it takes to replace the canister? Parts? Labor? I haven't even looked into to it.
Carbon Gray, Black Premium Leather, VTuned, 30% tint.
Old 9th July 2010
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jan 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3SS Aero

Cosmic and Kombs, I wrote a "how to" replace the EVAP purge valve (P0496), with many pics. It is in the HOW TO sticky, but I'll link it for you.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=153485

I think the part cost me $80 or something. It was really easy to replace. Check it out. I drove around with that code for a few months as well. I thought it had something to do with my cooling fans always running at the time, but now I think it was just coincidental.

Anyway, good luck with the fix. VERY DIY easy.
Old 9th July 2010
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferms_93_2.8T View Post
Cosmic and Kombs, I wrote a "how to" replace the EVAP purge valve (P0496), with many pics. It is in the HOW TO sticky, but I'll link it for you.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=153485

I think the part cost me $80 or something. It was really easy to replace. Check it out. I drove around with that code for a few months as well. I thought it had something to do with my cooling fans always running at the time, but now I think it was just coincidental.

Anyway, good luck with the fix. VERY DIY easy.
Thanks, Ferms. I had checked out that thread before and I will definitely use it once I get the part in.
Old 14th October 2010

Join Date: Dec 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero 6-speed Manual (53k)

Whatever happened to you throwing the P0089 code? My car just threw the same code and I am thinking of taking it into the dealership, but I would like to know what happened to your car before I do.
Old 14th October 2010
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by erjennin View Post
Whatever happened to you throwing the P0089 code? My car just threw the same code and I am thinking of taking it into the dealership, but I would like to know what happened to your car before I do.
Swapped out the evap canister purge valve as well as a new gas cap and the codes went away for a few days then came back. Time to go to the dealer and get it solved. Car runs fine, just hate having the stupid light on. I believe the p0089 has to do with the fuel pressure/fuel pump. Mine hasn't had any issues though, not even sure if it's the same code that was there before I swapped out the purge valve.
Old 15th October 2010

Join Date: Dec 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero 6-speed Manual (53k)

My code just seemed to reset itself.... perhaps it was something related to the gas cap. I guess we'll see if it comes back on again.
Old 22nd October 2010
Saab Lunatic

Here's my story with the p0089 code. Came on in mid June. Ignored it becuase it didn't seem to be affecting the car. Took it in today, 10-22-10 to get the code diagnosed because I hate having it on. Turns out the fuel pump is going bad. Needs to be replaced. I asked my dealer how long they can go before they go bad and they told me they can go a few months after the code initially comes on to actually die. I had not told them how long it had been on so they weren't just trying to please my ears. Pump is being replaced on Monday to the tune of $856 for parts and labor. Ouch.
Old 4th November 2010

Join Date: Jul 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2006 SAAB 9-3 Aero
Default P0089

P0089 Fuel pressure code

Could this also come on if you fill up your car when you leave the ignition in the off position, which still leaves the fuel pump and computer on? I think that is why mine may of came on.
Old 4th November 2010
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
My Saabs: 280-XWD Aero & a 2.0 XWD

Christ! Don't you love this new cyber and techno age. $856 dollars to fix a $20 electric fuel pump that could go on your firewall, trunk or behind the front seat. This was a half hour job and that included popping a beer and walking to the auto parts store.

This is such incredible bullschizz and baloney.

Has anyone ever tried to just put an in line pump on and leave the old one in place?
Old 6th November 2010

Join Date: Dec 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2011 Turbo4

As kombs85 wrote, it's the fuel pump.

Exact same code ran on my sister's 06 Aero. Her mechanic/service manager is extremely good and honest. We walked through the online repair/troubleshooting guide step by step together and fully diagnosed it by checking the oil pressure point using the pressure gauge at various pressure points. This was done in conjunction with the Tech II diagnostic tools. Most points checked to be slightly off pressure.

The real-world symptoms are odd or slow power at different gears/speeds.

Replaced the fuel pump and the power ramp went back to normal. Repair cost kombs85 reported is inline ($700-$900 including parts).

Edit/PS: My sister's 06 Aero had about 48k miles when the issue cropped up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement