Dearly Departed - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Cafe > The Lounge
The Lounge For general discussions

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 14-06-10
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 Aero
Default Dearly Departed

Well, the time has come for me to send the Saab 9000 away. After owning her for a little over two years, it was time to lay her to rest. On Saturday, I woke up, cleaned her out, and brought her to the junk yard where she could go to a better place.

She treated me well for the times that I drove her. I bought it for 500 dollars from a friend with 186k miles on it and an ugly blue interior. We had the rear brakes replaced when I first got it, and then my next step was to make several junk yard trips to find a new interior. Since it was a CD, it was a little more difficult to find a good interior. I eventfully found one that was a dark gray. It was exactly what I was looking for.

After that, I needed to find a new lower front valence, and then paint all the bumper covers and trim pieces black.

Over the next few months, it was all about constant upgrades. I added the wood dash, digital trip computer, new door cards, CS rims, and various engine upgrades. I also replaced the DIC, blower motor, heater core, quite a few different things.

After that, I decided to do some rust repair and try the $50 paint job. The experience was fun, but it didn't turn out the way I wanted. It became a rush job and I didn't put in as much time and effort as I should have. In theory, it could have been a great idea, however it just didn't work out.

Last edited by justin.graeff; 14-06-10 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Updated Beginning Picture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-06-10
Saab Lunatic

From far away, it looked alright, but once up close, the imperfections showed greatly. After a while, rust started to come back through. It was evident that the car's rear fender has been hit and repaired at some point, and was done very poorly. Soon after, I acquired this:

That was taken with my phone when I first went and looked at it. It was love at first sight, so I made an offer and he accepted. Suddenly, I didn't have a need for my 9000, and she sat behind my house for the next few months. Over time, I decided that I didn't want to drive my 9-5 in the harsh Michigan winters, so I stored it away and brought back the 9000.

The poor car was getting bad. It was 20 years old, rust forming on the doors and wheel arches, rear shocks were shot, lower engine mounts were shot, engine leaked oil, timing chain rattled, and it stalled when I shifted (not the hooter valve, believe me). However, I was willing to stand all that because I loved the car. It had 215k miles on it and I knew it could go many more. Unfortunately, when I started driving it this past winter, the clutch started sticking to the floor. The transmission and clutch had been replaced (not by me) over 70k miles ago, so it was nearing that time. At first it wasn't bad, but soon it was getting worse to the point where it was getting stuck in gear and locking up. I lasted the rest of the winter and put it back behind my house when I got my 9-5 out.

There is stood for the next few months just collecting dust. The battery was dead, the clutch was shot, and I lost all patience for it. Yet, it still held a special place in my heart, and I refused to sell it. I tried to bleed the clutch without success. I tried fixing the air leaks without success. But, I kept it as long as I could.

But, this past Saturday, it was time. After 219,200 miles, I took her for one least drive down to LKQ junk yard and received $300 for her. All in all, she was a great learning experience, a fun, quick, luxurious car which got me into Saabs in the first place. She gave it her best and drove all she could.

Those were the last shots I got of her. Three tinted windows, a lonely pin stripe, and all its glory. I can honestly say it was one of the best cars I have ever known. A beautiful driving machine.

Justin
Old 14-06-10
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2009                                                
My Saabs: MY00 Aero (272hp/295ftlbs T7suite)

I think i just shed a tear.....

sad to see a 9000 bite the dust.

One thing about me: I'm better at hiding than they are at vision.
Old 14-06-10
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jan 2007                                                
My Saabs: '97 9000 CSE - sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanwakeup View Post

Shat a turd? That's what my language translator gave me!
Old 14-06-10

Join Date: May 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9-5 ARC

I'm sorry she had to go... Sounds like you gave a good life though.

I really want a 9000 now though.
Old 14-06-10

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: '06 9 2.0T SportCombi |'93 9K CSE (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanwakeup View Post

Me too Like reading a "my pet just died" thread

Important thing is you took good care of her/him and provided your own Saab TLC.

I think I'm gonna go hug my 9000 now

Saab Club of Western Canada FB
Old 15-06-10
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabKen View Post
Me too Like reading a "my pet just died" thread

Important thing is you took good care of her/him and provided your own Saab TLC.

I think I'm gonna go hug my 9000 now
What a good idea. Go take it for a spin, have fun, and don't forget how great it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement