Bad Ignition Switch? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 8th June 2010

Join Date: Feb 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900s
Default Bad Ignition Switch?

This morning my car started and ran fine... throughout the day as I started it over and over, i began to notice sometimes when I turned the key, nothing would happen, no sound from the starter whatsoever, the dash lights and all acc. do get power however. A few more attempts to start however and the starter would crank normally and start the car. Now no matter how many times I turn the key the no-start symptoms persist. Could this be the ignition switch, starter,?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 8th June 2010

Join Date: Mar 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2002 Saab 9-3se

maybe ignition switch. you can test for voltage at the starter... usually if its a bad starter you would hear some kind of drain or strain on the system. iirc....
Old 9th June 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Aug 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2000T5 9-3S convert auto

Bet its an auto in which case Id also bet its the NSS aka neutral safety switch. Do a search there is an easy & cheap fix.

Cheers M.
Old 9th June 2010

Actually, Its a 5 speed, Iv'e been push-starting it...

If It gets cold, she'll start right up. Otherwise, no current to the starter, no drain on any systems during attempted start.
Old 9th June 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Aug 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2000T5 9-3S convert auto

Mmm OK. General question - do manual s have NSS's (I think they do & are cheap & easy to replace) $30 as opposed to $500+ for auto's.

Are the symptoms that it wont start when its warm (at first) but its fine when its cold? Starter wont crank - just instrument lights & nothing else when you turn the key?

Cheers M.
Old 9th June 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3 SE with a 5 speed!

Is your ignition sticking in the start position rather than going back to on? If so, your ignition switch may have caused you to fry your starter AND you will need to replace the ignition as well. I just recently replaced the starter and am waiting for FedEx to deliver my ignition today so I can get that changed.
5-Speed Manual Transmission
A Smile with every drive
Old 9th June 2010

Update:
Will not start no matter what, turn key to start, lights all light up, no sound from the starter at all. Will not start cold anymore, the key snaps back to "on" fine however... How much does a new starter run? how hard is it to install?

P.S- Been push-starting it all the time now, is this bad for the car?

P.P.S- exactly the same time all this started, my turn signals, and licence plate lights failed. Changing the bulbs yeilded no improvement.

Last edited by dhultquist; 9th June 2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 9th June 2010

Join Date: May 2010                                                
My Saabs: 94' Saab 900 S B234i/ 94' 9000 CSE Turbo

To try and Diagnose the starter further, you can try and do this as an option. Put the key in and switch it to on, put it in neutral take a rubber handle tool with a metal tip, and short out the two post's. this should make the starter turn over, while bypassing A lot of switches and relays.

Edit, Push starting is just as hard on any component as driving is.

Electronics that fail to turn on is indicative to the electrical portion of the ignition switch. Sometimes you can clean the posts that plug into the electrical portion of the ign switch. this is generally a temp fix.
Old 9th June 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3 SE with a 5 speed!

Your symptoms sound a lot like what happened to me, with the exception of the ignition not working right.

Believe it or not, changing the starter isn't all that hard, in the overall scheme of things. Remove 2 mounting bolts, unbolt the electrical connections, reinstall the new one and your golden.

HOWEVER access is the *****. The top mounting bolt looks like it is something that keeps the engine and transmission bolted together. You'll need to take the plastic cover off in the engine bay to get to it. The bottom bolt is obstructed by the downpipe. You will need 10mm, 12mm and 19mm sockets iirc. A knuckle socket wrench attachment would help for the power and alternator connections. Also, a 3" and a 6" or longer extension wouldn't hurt any either, along with a pipe to act as a breaker bar to get the top mounting bolt off. And that is with using a liberal amount of PB Blaster to get them loosened up. MAKE SURE TO DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL CONNECTION BEFORE STARTING!!!!!

Since I know how to do it, I think I could do it solo again, however having an extra hand to help loosen the top bolt while you getting the starter removed from below definitely helps out a lot. An extra pair of eyes, or better yet, skilled hands to go with yours, are even better.

I got my starter as a remanufactured unit from Autozone. This part is the exact same unit as from NAPA, Oreillys, Saab Site and eEuroparts, except that after the core charge is refunded, over $50 cheaper than every one of em except for the Saab Site. I chose Autozone because I could get my core refund same day as I changed it, and not have to wait upwards of 6 weeks for Saab Site to do it. Expect to have an initial expense over $220 for the starter. Bring in the core and you will get refunded between $50-80 depending on who you go through.

Good luck!
5-Speed Manual Transmission
A Smile with every drive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement