what kind of gas to us?? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 4th June 2010
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 arc 6speed
Garage
Default what kind of gas to us??

so i picked up my saab today and it was on R "meanin E"...and one person tells me to put in 87 octane gas...and then another saids 93 octane.
Whitch gas do i use 87 or 93??
Is there any adventages with the 93?
is there any bad things with using 89??

btw i hav a 1996 ng900 se turbo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5th June 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Nov 2006                                                
My Saabs: '90 16V turbo'd 900S - 2000 Viggen

87 should be fine, but I'm sure with 93 you will get more power and possibly better milage.
Old 5th June 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Mar 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 Saab 9-3 SE (T5), 1989 Saab 9000CSE

93?! I use 91 ever time I fill up. Where do you get 93? When you pay for a higher premium gas it does not improve your power (HP wise). The only thing you are improving is the reduction in autoignition before TDC (not talking about diesel either). You get a more controlled burn through-out each cylinder. Also a premium gas is often used in high performance vehicles due to the high compression (an increase in pressure is proportional to an increase in heat). I don't think our cars have a drastic compression ratio. Just basic Thermodynamics. Pinging can eventually damage your engine though.

Long story short you are safe to burn 87. I use 91 from Shell. Their nitrogen enriched fuel. Hopefully it is doing its job and helping my injectors stay a little cleaner.
Old 5th June 2010
Saabista

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: Black on black '97 Saab 3-door SE Turbo

I've been running 87 octane for a while. On a 120 mile highway drive yesterday, I had a high of 36.0 mpg on SID. This was on country roads at 55 mph with an occassional stop sign/traffic light/railroad crossing... Ron
Old 5th June 2010
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 07 9-5 Combi, 99 9-3 Viggen, 85 900 SPG

I have always run and always will run the highest octane. Since the early 80s, starting the APC saab will retard the timing if it feels the octane is too low for the demand of the right foot.
Old 5th June 2010
Saab Crazy

Garage

thanx sry about 93..yes i ment 91...and it seems to b a lot of people sayin use 91 and also shell...well looks like ill b usin shell 91
Old 5th June 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                

We have 93 here in IL at almost every station.
Old 5th June 2010
Saab Crazy

My Saabs: 1995 900 SE stage 3 @ 181k
Garage

Blimey, i never knew fuel was that different in the US. Fuel over here in the UK is 95 minimum and posh stuff starts at 97 some 99 and the super expensive BP 102. (everyone over here recommends running these cars on 97, and my manual suggests the minimum for the car is 91, maybe the US cars are different)
Old 5th June 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Oct 2006                                                
My Saabs: 96 900SE

It's not a difference in the cars, but a difference in how the octane rating is advertised... RON in the UK, (RON+MON)/2 in the US.
Old 5th June 2010
Saab Crazy

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei View Post
Blimey, i never knew fuel was that different in the US. Fuel over here in the UK is 95 minimum and posh stuff starts at 97 some 99 and the super expensive BP 102. (everyone over here recommends running these cars on 97, and my manual suggests the minimum for the car is 91, maybe the US cars are different)

man i wish we had 102 in the states...then again probly a lot of money
Old 5th June 2010
Saab Crazy

My Saabs: 1995 900 SE stage 3 @ 181k
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscuro View Post
It's not a difference in the cars, but a difference in how the octane rating is advertised... RON in the UK, (RON+MON)/2 in the US.
I knew it would be something simple that i had missed. As for the 102 BP stuff, it is $3.50 per litre and $238 to fill the tank. (converted from the UK price of 2.42 per litre)
Old 5th June 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2011 Volvo C30 R Design, 1992 900T 'Vert
Garage

Go with the 91 oct from Shell... usually works out to about $5 more per tank than 87 oct so unless you're on a really tight budget you should go with the higher octane.
Old 5th June 2010
Saab Lunatic

102 in the uk is not the same as what 102 would be in the states.
Old 5th June 2010

Join Date: Jun 2010                                                
My Saabs: 97 900S

I was a bit surprised to see that Saab did not recommend (require?) premium fuel in the 2.3 liter engine. After I picked up my 97 900S, I put Shell fuel system cleaner in the tank and filled up with Shell premium (91 octane in Colorado). After driving it about 150 miles, I can tell it is running more smoothly than when I test drove it (prior to fuel system cleaner and a tank or premium fuel). With a turbo, I would use premium--whether that is 91 or 93 octane in the US will depend on where you live.

Generally, I try to use the highest octane available in a Saab/BMW/Audi/etc., not because I think I'm getting more performance or better mileage, but because it is a more even burn and is less likely to cause pinging/knocking. When I've had Hondas in the past, I couldn't tell a difference between 85 and 91 octane.
Old 5th June 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
My Saabs: '94 900s 2.3 5spd

Shell is a Top Tier Fuel, which is why I use it
http://www.toptiergas.com/

(even though I don't use Rotella oil, I use Redline 5w40...)
Old 6th June 2010

Join Date: Feb 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3 vert t5 auto 185bhp 110k

here in US I have been using shell vpower for past 5 years in my 1999 93 conv with t5 185hp engine and 110k...i never had any problems with fuel system and car performs brilliantly...i have shell credit card that gives me 1% discount on their fuel...i seriously would have to be in the middle of nowhere to put something else than vpower in my baby ..i stick with one or two shell gas stations in my area that seems to be clean and well kept...

Last edited by cascade; 6th June 2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 7th June 2010
Saab Lunatic

I used shell for a long while, but then got lazy and went with BP due to the location. Due to BP f-ing up big time in the gulf, I have switched back to shell (for my viggen) which makes the car run much better.
Old 7th June 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2008                                                
My Saabs: '99 Viggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab&engineer View Post
93?! I use 91 ever time I fill up. Where do you get 93? When you pay for a higher premium gas it does not improve your power (HP wise). The only thing you are improving is the reduction in autoignition before TDC (not talking about diesel either). You get a more controlled burn through-out each cylinder. Also a premium gas is often used in high performance vehicles due to the high compression (an increase in pressure is proportional to an increase in heat). I don't think our cars have a drastic compression ratio. Just basic Thermodynamics. Pinging can eventually damage your engine though.

Long story short you are safe to burn 87. I use 91 from Shell. Their nitrogen enriched fuel. Hopefully it is doing its job and helping my injectors stay a little cleaner.
If I wasnt too lazy to search for it, Id repost something I wrote last time this came up. In the long term, using 93 octane is cheaper because of increased fuel economy.

And in all actuality, it actually does improve power. More truthfully, running lower octane takes away power. Regardless, the result is the same.

For those who dont know, nitrogen enriched fuel is a scam. You pay a premium for something that at best does next to nothing. In the case of my cars, it also hurts performance. I always avoided Shell with the convertible and the Viggen gets it only rarely. The cars always run their worst and were/are down on power with Shell in the tank.
Old 7th June 2010
Saab Lunatic

It's so weird to hear different users having different experiences with different gas companies. Most gas comes from huge pumping stations where tanker trucks roll in with different stickers on the side of the truck with different gas station names. The only ones that do not fill at these pump stations are chevron, shell and few other as there gas is some-what specially formulated with their own additives, with chevron probably being the best as their additive techron is known to work. Nitrogen in gas-whatever to that, but for my car it's better than BP for some reason, but was worse than chevron.
Old 7th June 2010

My Saabs: 97 900 turbo conv.

you could always drive to ohio, we have 110 race fuel from shell at $7 a gallon, used to put it in my supra, nothing lile $130 tank of gas that would last an afternoon lol. I use 89 unless I know I am going to be running hard then Ill put in 93, but I swear by shell, when i can find them it is all I use, mobile one is my second choice plus they have 93 aswell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement