Camshaft position sensor location? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9000 > 9000 Workshop

9000 Workshop 9000 (1985-1998) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 24th May 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Apr 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-5 2.3L Aero
Default Camshaft position sensor location?

After replacing my di cassette I got check engine light. This car is driving me nuts and seems it'd be better of in a scrap yard.

Where is this sensor so I can replace it? I found one for $60 which isn't too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24th May 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1997 Aero manual

Crankshaft position sensor, not camshaft. I think it is on the flywheel end on the bell housing but don't quote me on that.

CEL codes can be read either by a SAAB dealer/mechanic or with a code reader.
Old 24th May 2010
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Nov 2008                                                
My Saabs: 92 9000S; 92 9000 Turbo; 02 9-5 Linear

Wrong for a 1997...

If facing the front of the engine block, the CPS will be located on the lower right corner of the block (near where the transmission is)

Earlier 9000's up to 1993 with the B234 have the CPS behind the crank/harmonic balance pulley
Old 25th May 2010
SaabNut!

Can I get at it without removing anything? I ask this because my repair book says access is restricted and to remove the inlet manifold.
Old 25th May 2010
Saab Crazy

HUH? There is one torx head screw holding the CPS into the engine block...then you have to trace the wiring harness back to where it plugs into the ecu engine wiring harness. That will be on the back side of the block, probably underneath the intake manifold on the left side when you face the engine.

There are some clips that hold the CPS wiring in place where it is run along the engine.
Old 25th May 2010
SaabNut!

Ahh that sounds much better. Thanks for the help .
Old 25th May 2010
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff325 View Post
Wrong for a 1997...

If facing the front of the engine block, the CPS will be located on the lower right corner of the block (near where the transmission is)

Earlier 9000's up to 1993 with the B234 have the CPS behind the crank/harmonic balance pulley
Wrong? The bell housing is exactly where you describe it. Technically, the transmission is even further away, attached to the back of the bell housing.

Referring to the "Front" of the engine for a transverse engine is also a tad unhelpful. Conventionally, you consider the crank pulley to be at the front, the bell housing (or clutch if the engine or transmission is out) at the rear and the intake on the right side and the exhaust on the left. This applies for all auto engines in all orientations. Good job we weren't talking about a Classic 900 or 99 as they had their engines in backwards.

Crank pulley is at one end and the bell housing is at the other. CPS is at one end for early cars and the other for later cars.
Old 25th May 2010
Saab Crazy

WTF is a bellhousing on an engine block? The bell housing to me is the portion of the transmission case that is between the engine block and the actual gearbox of the transmission...ie the part the flywheel and clutch or the torque converter are in depending on the transmission.

The CPS is not mounted in this. It is in the block

And I also said when you are facing the engine as it sits in the car it will be on the lower right corner of it.
Old 25th May 2010
SaabNut!

Yes it is in lower right hand corner and is held in with one torx screw. I'm going to the junk yark tomorrow and taking one out of the 10 Saabs they have there. Only problem is that the wiring is fed under the fuel rail and under the intake so removal and installation will take a while.

I was thinking it was the crankshaft sensor which is why the book told me that the access was restricted but it's really the cam sensor.
Old 26th May 2010
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff325 View Post
WTF is a bellhousing on an engine block? The bell housing to me is the portion of the transmission case that is between the engine block and the actual gearbox of the transmission...ie the part the flywheel and clutch or the torque converter are in depending on the transmission.

The CPS is not mounted in this. It is in the block

And I also said when you are facing the engine as it sits in the car it will be on the lower right corner of it.
The bellhousing indeed bolts up to the end of the block and covers the flywheel and clutch. It is also not integral to the transmission case as that also bolts to the other end of the bell housing. The compact design of the transverse transmission does use the clutch cover (bellhousing) to support the forward end of the transmission shafts and part of the final drive.

The CPS will sense the rotation of the flywheel so it should be right where the front of the bellhousing mates to the block.

It seems to have escaped you that we identified the same spot on the engine. You suggested my description was wrong, that was an incorrect assertion. You suggested that it would be "near where the transmission is" which is also incorrect as the bell housing is between the transmission and the block, putting the front of the transmission about 6 inches away from where you would need to look to find the CPS.

I think you will find the CPS right where the bell housing mates up to the end of the block, on a 97 that is.

Finally, this is a friendly board where we are trying to help each other. Your post was no more helpful than mine and yet you saw fit to state that I was "wrong". That was both unhelpful and potentially confusing to others and , as it happens, also wrong.
Old 1st June 2010
Saab Crazy

Whatever.....the CPS mounts in the engine block and not the bellhousing.....
Old 1st June 2010
SaabNut!

I think the most accurate place to say would be that it's behind the turbo's air inlet on the lower right hand side of the block parallel to the bell housing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement