Suspension spring compatibility? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9000 > 9000 Performance, Mods & Tuning

9000 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the 9000

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 3rd May 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: Black 9000 Aero, C900 - Sold
Default Suspension spring compatibility?

Hi all

I have done a little searching and can't find anything conclusive.

I am in need of springs on the aero and have been looking at various options, some are marked as 'not suitable for Aero/V6' anyone know why this might be or if its just a load of old rubbish?

Cheers
I decline to grant to SAABCENTRAL.COM a non exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sublicense, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information I submit to any public areas....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4th May 2010

Join Date: Nov 2009                                                
My Saabs: 97' 9000 Aero

I'm assuming (and i know assumption is the mother of all mess-ups) but the aero is most probably lower and firmer as standard and is the V6 a heavier lump ??

...........could be completely wrong mind you

I need springs for my aero too mate so let me know what you go for .
Old 4th May 2010
Saab Lunatic

right, I have found out that all variants will physically fit, now to find out how much lower the aero was from the factory compared to its stablemates to find out if 'lowering' is in fact going to do that or just make the ride harsh and unpleasant...
I decline to grant to SAABCENTRAL.COM a non exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sublicense, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information I submit to any public areas....
Old 5th May 2010

Join Date: Sep 2009                                                
My Saabs: 9000 Aero 2.3

I think the aero's were only 10-15mm lower as standard.
Old 5th May 2010
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcol View Post
I think the aero's were only 10-15mm lower as standard.
I think you are right - the only thing I have managed to find on the intertubes overall height, and its seems that there is between 5 and 10mm difference with one site saying 5mm rear and 8mm front either way, I have a plan now!

Thanks for your help.
Old 5th May 2010

Join Date: Nov 2009                                                
My Saabs: 97' 9000 Aero

Whats your plan then ? come on share
Old 7th May 2010
Saab Lunatic

Its a very boring plan I'm afraid. there's a guy on ebay with some bankrupt stock of Boge branded -30mm springs for dirt cheap, I'm both a cheapskate and skint and my current springs are saggier than a bingo syndicate's house cheer. Either that or the inevitable Kilens.

One way or the other, I'll be adding to that a set of dampers, if I can afford them, Bilsteins. If not then probably a Gaz pattern replacement, and if I become particularly wealthy in the euro millions tonight and have the car rebuilt then I'll have Leda or Tein or someone build be a set of 3000 way adjustable coilovers!
Old 8th May 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2006                                                
My Saabs: 06 93 2.0,93 9000griffin 92 900s LPT vrt
Default Slightly off topic

But it seems to me that my 93 griffin, sounds harsher and rides harsher (harder) than either of the CD's I have had.

So there might be a bit more to the differences between the suspensions between the Aeros and Griffins and the base CDs.
Old 8th May 2010
Saab Lunatic

yup, it seems that as well as the shorter spring it was a higher spring rate and possibly a heavier damper - I've never had anything other than the 9000 and its a 96 with 192k and still on original suspension, I would love harsh and hard compared to floppy and wallowy as I have now.
Old 8th May 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2006                                                
My Saabs: 06 93 2.0,93 9000griffin 92 900s LPT vrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferkle View Post
I would love harsh and hard compared to floppy and wallowy as I have now.
Not floppy and wallowy, just softer and quieter, my CD has 130000km, my old CD had just on 200000km when I sold it. So I guess the shockies were/are a bit soft!
Old 10th May 2010
Saab Lunatic

ahh I am at +/- 192000 miles or 307000km and still original suspension so my car currently handles like a 1989 cadillac brougham
Sponsored Links
Advertisement