Please, how do I change rubber door seal. - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 25th April 2010
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2004                                                
My Saabs: My SAAB
Default Please, how do I change rubber door seal.

Has anyone changed or knows how to change the black rubber weather strip seal that goes around the front door opening.
It's part number 12758028 and I think it's just a very tight push on fit. I have the new one but am hesitant about yanking the old one off just in case I need to buy special glue first. Do I have to remove the plasic trim off the B pillar that hides the seat belt? If so does it just unclip and do I have to start anywhere special.
These things dont worry me but I have the nasty habit of starting in the wrong place and breaking half of the plastic clips .

I have to change the rubber seal as it is worn out from my ”rear end” rubbing against it when I climb into the cockpit . It cost me 175 Euros or 230 USD .. I should have bought it on-line from the US for only 75 $ ..

Cheers.
Advertisement

Old 25th April 2010

Join Date: Nov 2009                                                
My Saabs: 06 9-3 Aero

door seals just push onto the pinch metal! pull old off ! start at center or the seal and work around the door til the ends meet at the bottom
Old 26th April 2010
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leetwoah View Post
door seals just push onto the pinch metal! pull old off ! start at center or the seal and work around the door til the ends meet at the bottom
Have you ever done this on a Saab 9-3 SS .. or is this just your opinion based on other cars ?

To "pull the old off" I started to try and it is more than tight and some sort of lever will be necessary to start being careful withe the paint.

As for the new "push onto the metal pinch" !!!
I am sure that some sort of tool is necessary so as to pinch closed the strip onto the metal frame. It is not just a stiff rubber strip .. there are two deformable metal cords in there.

"til the ends meet at the bottom" there are no ends .. it is a loop .. as in the diagram

Are you sure that the rubber will slip under the interior plastic trim or should this be partially stripped off.

So as they say in the quizz shows .. Only answer if you are certain
Old 25th May 2010

Join Date: Nov 2009                                                
My Saabs: '06 9-3 Sedan

So this is a slight late reply to your answer, but I just received my weather seal for my passenger rear and passenger front because of water coming into the car (long story due to the place I ordered it didn't have it in stock and took them almost 3 weeks before I got it) . There is no 'special glue' that is needed (no glue at all), and you just have to pull it off (front was tougher than the rear, but it comes off and there is no specialty tool to get it off). By the ends, start where the seam where the factory had to join the ends on and press it onto the mold that holds the seal (yes, you will have to lift up some of the plastic molding to get the seal in correctly). Take your time and please, oh please, do not used a mallet or hammer (had a friend do that it bent the metal mold because he used a hammer when he changed his seals on his old 240 ). Rear took about 15-20 mins and front took about 30 because of taking it off. Don't know if you have already done it, but yea, pretty easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 25th May 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Sep 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2005 Saab 9-3ss Linear

You just push the thing on. It's tough in places because it's metal-reinforced. Don't bend it.
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 500R
Old 25th May 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2007 93 SS-AERO V6 MT6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMorgan View Post

As for the new "push onto the metal pinch" !!!
I am sure that some sort of tool is necessary so as to pinch closed the strip onto the metal frame. It is not just a stiff rubber strip .. there are two deformable metal cords in there.
yes, there is an electric 2 cylinders tool to close the strip onto the metal frame.

Old 26th May 2010
Saab on the Brain!

I did it myself but it is a real pain.

When I had finally decided to go ahead .. ripping out the old one was just a question of brute force.
But to put the new one in you will need to "unclip" most of the plastic surrounding trim .. Not easy and MUCH more difficult to replace!
When forcing the new strip into place you will have the impression it is 3 inches too long! You just have to continue around and around untill it is all finally in place.

As for re-clipping the plastic trim in place .. forget it .. close to impossible to get it perfect. I'll try again later.

Another time I'd pay a dealer 1/2 an hours labour for a job well done and no hassle.
Old 26th May 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2006                                                
My Saabs: 06 9-3 Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMorgan View Post
Another time I'd pay a dealer 1/2 an hours labour for a job well done and no hassle.
They replaced mine under warranty, and the outcome of the seam area was less than stellar(it looked like the car was put together by a kia factory). I had them do it all over and they still cant get the new one on right. Guess its something I'll attempt to fix myself :|

PS: I'm talking about tucking the roof liner into the seal, b-pillar not aligned properly, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement