Charcoal canister full of gas...purge valve...what else? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 23rd April 2010
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2008                                                
My Saabs: 08 vert 2.8t & w211 E55 AMG
Question Charcoal canister full of gas...purge valve...what else?

So... I've narrowed one of my gremlins down to every time I fill up... it get's sporadically rich when I slow down..idle... Disco'd the purge valve on the way home and it did fine.... I pulled my charcoal canister just now and poured out several ounces of gas.... The purge valve seemed to bench test ok, however.........I bought a new charcoal canister and purge valve. What else is there? I'd hate to have put these in just to have it start acting up again.... is there any other piece of that puzzle I should look for? I didn't see anything else on the europarts diagram... Thoughts? (it's a 1997 900SE turbo vert, 5-spd).....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23rd April 2010
Saabista

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: Black on black '97 Saab 3-door SE Turbo

Hey Jeremy, I can't help with the charcoal canister but I can relate to the charcoal canister on my Sea Ray. When the holding tank (kind of like the gas tank) becomes overfilled with gas (with something else), the charcoal becomes saturated and the liquid never drains back into the tank. On the boat, the canister is $100 (unless you cut it in half and replace the charcoal). Hope all is well with your transmission... Ron
Old 23rd April 2010
Saab Crazy

Hi Ron, thanks for the quick response... my purge valve was full of fuel too... just seems odd that the gas would even be able to get in there in the first place.. Hopefully I'll be good to go now......... Transmission is doing fine so far.....been really easy on it though since the 2.3 build....not for long....we'll see..........
Old 23rd April 2010
Saab Crazy

and I can relate to the boat parts prices..... everything is at least x2....!! my new charcoal canister was only $37...
Old 23rd April 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1996 900SE Turbo

Purge valve is your best bet. Usually there will be a CEL, and one of two fault codes associated with the EVAP system. Other than that...

Filler pipe breather or one of the valves at the tank. Air has to get into the tank to replace the gas being used. That air is drawn into the tank past a one-way valve, which is there to prevent fumes from going out into the atmosphere. There is a second valve which closes of the other path, the one to the charcoal canister when the gas tank is full, so gas from a full tank does not get drawn in instead of fumes. (there is a third valve that prevents spills during a rollover, but that is seldom an issue, unless the car is on its side or on its roof, ).

If the two valves are not working together right, gas may end up in the wrong place, or the fuel pump may not be able to maintain fuel pressure, etc...

What you'll often see is that right after a fill-up, the engine will start to stutter and miss, and may stall. If you then open the filler cap to let the air pressure equalize, or even just sit and wait for a few minutes, the problem goes away, untill the next time you fill up.

If you fill up, drive a bit, then stop and crack the filler cap open, and there is a sound like you are relieving a vacuum, something is not working right at the tank.
Old 23rd April 2010
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMI View Post
.... There is a second valve which closes of the other path, the one to the charcoal canister when the gas tank is full, so gas from a full tank does not get drawn in instead of fumes. (there is a third valve that prevents spills during a rollover, but that is se....

Thanks PMI!!... where can I find this!?? Saab dealer only?... This seems to me to be exactly what's happening.....
Old 23rd April 2010
Saab Crazy

Does anyone have a copy of a WIS page or two that has this info by chance??.. Ron.....Ron.........?? MRCDMA??? ..... I need to get WIS
Old 23rd April 2010
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosepuck View Post
Thanks PMI!!... where can I find this!?? Saab dealer only?... This seems to me to be exactly what's happening.....
There is a pretty long and detailed Saab document on the Evap system. I think I had a copy somewhere. I can look for it over the weekend if you like, but probably can't post it here b/c of copyright etc. If I find it, I can email it to you. I can't remember what the WIS has on the evap system.
Old 23rd April 2010
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '96 900S, Automatic with 148K miles, blu

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...07795&posted=1
I'd check the EVAP system plumbing, it may just be a disconnected hose from the canister back to the gas tank... Just my idea..
173K miles in the good ole USA
Old 23rd April 2010
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMI View Post
There is a pretty long and detailed Saab document on the Evap system. I think I had a copy somewhere. I can look for it over the weekend if you like, but probably can't post it here b/c of copyright etc. If I find it, I can email it to you. I can't remember what the WIS has on the evap system.
yes please if you have time.... I'd like to know more about this system as it's one of few areas that I haven't really dealt with on my car.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...07795&posted=1
I'd check the EVAP system plumbing, it may just be a disconnected hose from the canister back to the gas tank... Just my idea..
Thanks for the tip.....I'll see what I can find between the canister and the tank....

I spoke briefly with a Saab indy at my local watering hole this evening about it.... he said it's pretty common for a piece to fail that's apparently right off the filler neck with a check valve towards the charcoal canister....he claimed it's a Saab dealer only part at about $600 bucks... but he also said he may have a used one he'd give me lying around his shop........ he seems to know what he's talking about... I'd really like to see a diagram of the whole system if anyone has one.....
Old 24th April 2010
Saabista

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: Black on black '97 Saab 3-door SE Turbo

Hey Moosepuck, I'm headed up to the lake today to have the boat put in. Thw WIS is around 600-Mb, so it woul have to be cut down to 10-Mb pieces and emailed. And I don't have the internet turned on up there yet.

Do a torrent search for Saab WIS and download it with uTorrent. You can do the same with the EPC... Ron
Old 24th April 2010
Saab Crazy

Downloading it now, not sure why I haven't done it as of yet......have fun on the lake!
Old 24th April 2010
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosepuck View Post
yes please if you have time.... I'd like to know more about this system as it's one of few areas that I haven't really dealt with on my car.
Done, see link in your SC email.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement