Saab Wreckers in Pacific Northwest? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 20th April 2010

Join Date: Nov 2009                                                
My Saabs: -
Default Saab Wreckers in Pacific Northwest?

I have a 2002 9-5 wagon that the guy before me ran out of oil and then cobbled it back together just enough so I could buy it. Now its in my driveway with a broken motor.

Where do I find a motor/which wreckers do I call? I am in Vancouver, bc and the local guys can find one for $2500, but that seems a little steep for a $5k car.

Is there someone I should be calling in Bellingham or Seattle or something? LKQ lists one for $1200, but looks like they are in Portland, so maybe shipping will be pricey?

Thanks.

Almost forgot, its a Linear, 2.3 T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21st April 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2010                                                
My Saabs: '05 9-3 2.0t / '99 9-5 V6
Garage

I can't help you with a motor but I have a '01 9-5 SE sedan near Seattle with a lot of good parts on it if you need anything. No motor or trans, airbags deployed, other than that it's mostly there and in great shape.
Old 21st April 2010

Well, turns out the LKQ engine was a joke or something, when I called, the engine is $2k. I don't know if its all wreckers, but the local guy doesn't warrenty the engine if I install it myself. I guess I understand that a little, but its still frustrating.

Does anyone know what a rebuild costs? I haven't opened the engine yet, but I assume there will be some piston-block loving that went on.
Old 21st April 2010
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2008                                                
My Saabs: 02 9-5, 03 9-5, 04 9-3 aeros ext..

Rebuilding is not practical.....You will most likely need the block (bottom end). Are you planing to do the work yourself?
Old 21st April 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
Rebuilding is not practical.....You will most likely need the block (bottom end). Are you planing to do the work yourself?
I would change the motor out myself, and maybe some assembly? However, I didn't think rebuilding was practical, since the block is most likely junk, but I haven't done this before. Buying an engine to rebuild seems like extra expense on top of the 2k for the motor. I had ideas of rebuilding it before it died but the car was in use and I was hoping it would have lasted longer than it did.

The motor is currently on a tire in my garage, it wasn't too bad to take out, probably 5 hours of work. Putting it back in, maybe double or triple that?
Old 22nd April 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Sep 2009                                                
My Saabs: 03 9-5 Aero Wagon - Stage 3

I'd just go online (ebay and car-part.com) and look around. Call some places. Shipping actually isn't THAT bad. Maybe you can have it shipped to B-ham and drive down. I'm not sure about customs and whatnot with shipping an engine from the US to Canada, but if you can find someone to ship it to in the US and drive, that'd save you. I live south of Seattle and would be willing to help out if you want. PM me. I'm in 98001 (Auburn) I found a complete engine with turbo/accessories for $1400 shipped. You can probably find an LPT 2.3 for that or less but *maybe* w/o the accessories as they like to maximize profits. Call around. They might wheel and deal for ya.
Old 22nd April 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5 SE 5spd
Garage

Try these guys, I used them before for wheels and other odds and ends.
http://vandsautodismantlers.com/
Old 22nd April 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanthepilot View Post
I'd just go online (ebay and car-part.com) and look around. Call some places. Shipping actually isn't THAT bad. Maybe you can have it shipped to B-ham and drive down. I'm not sure about customs and whatnot with shipping an engine from the US to Canada, but if you can find someone to ship it to in the US and drive, that'd save you. I live south of Seattle and would be willing to help out if you want. PM me. I'm in 98001 (Auburn) I found a complete engine with turbo/accessories for $1400 shipped. You can probably find an LPT 2.3 for that or less but *maybe* w/o the accessories as they like to maximize profits. Call around. They might wheel and deal for ya.
Thanks for the offer. I am looking around, and maybe would even concider a block from a B234 if they are way cheaper and I can find one.

I know there are several saab mechanics around the ballard area, but I haven't found a wrecking yard yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaber95er View Post
Try these guys, I used them before for wheels and other odds and ends.
http://vandsautodismantlers.com/
Thanks, sent them a request.
Old 22nd April 2010

Join Date: Nov 2008                                                
My Saabs: 99 saab 95

Try Campbell Nelson Auto Wrecking in Arlington, WA
Old 23rd April 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: '02 9-5 Aero 5-speed

Try searching www.car-parts.com

2002 Saab 9-5 Aero, 5-speed, Steel Grey, Remus exhaust, 2004/2005 Front end.

1976 International Scout II 345, 4-speed, 32" BFG 67K original, fire orange

Sponsored Links
Advertisement