Vtuner 30,000 Mile follow up... - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Performance Mods & Tuning - ALL ENGINES

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Performance Mods & Tuning - ALL ENGINES Covers GENERAL Tuning & Performance modifications that are *non-engine specific* in nature

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 18th April 2010

Join Date: Nov 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2008 Saab 93 Aero
Default Vtuner 30,000 Mile follow up...

I just wanted to talk for a sec on how my tune is going with my Vtuned Saab 93 Aero after 30,000 miles. I installed the tune on my 93 Aero about 3000 miles after purchasing from the dealer. I went through 2 or 3 tunes compliments of Brian from Vtuner and my car has been running great ever since. The other thing i want to mention is that i never received such great customer support from any other tuner i have ever used. I had a VW Passat with GIAC tuning and a SRT-4 with some other tuning and I basically got the tune and they could care less. Any time I had even the smallest question, Brian from Vtuner got back to me the same day.

So, to get back to the car... I just had my car in for the 3rd covered maintenance and every thing checked out great except for the 328 dollars per tire they wanted to charge me. I think i will go to Tirerack and pay half! All and all, I would say that i highly recommend the tune if you have an Aero. I just wanted to relay my experience.

TG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18th April 2010
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '09 9-3 SS Aero XWD

Good to hear. That is one area of concern is the newness of the Vtune.
I've been BSR'd now for more than 80,000 mi.--tuned it at 4,000 mi. and now have 84,000 mi. BSR's customer service is more than lacking but they do have a proven track record and are a large tuner.

That's great you got over 30,000 mi. on your tires. There are some good choices out there. For all season the best tire is the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. There are several less expensive good options as well.
Carbon Gray, Black Premium Leather, VTuned, 30% tint.
Old 19th April 2010
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jan 2009                                                
My Saabs: 08TurboXSedanAuto;Jun08bld;VTuneStg2
Garage

Boy, there's a lot of 'tuning-talk' going on these days -- Spring has truly sprung!

Also re-iterate the good experience VTuned (about 13,000 kms of 22,000-ish total).

Trouble: I'm never satisfied. And now my 'drug' threshold has me seriously craving Brian's 'Stage 1'!

Tire-talk: Though my Pirelli PZero Neros have held well (because Michelin Alpin PA 3s have shouldered the winters?) I'm giving serious thought to the Continental ExtremeContact DWS(Ultra High Performance All-Season) as eventual replacements (seem to have the price/performance trade-off well solved).

Last edited by North Toronto Punter; 19th April 2010 at 01:32 AM.
Old 19th April 2010
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero 2.8L V6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicflash View Post
Good to hear. That is one area of concern is the newness of the Vtune.
I've been BSR'd now for more than 80,000 mi.--tuned it at 4,000 mi. and now have 84,000 mi. BSR's customer service is more than lacking but they do have a proven track record and are a large tuner.

That's great you got over 30,000 mi. on your tires. There are some good choices out there. For all season the best tire is the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. There are several less expensive good options as well.
As far as tires go I've done so much research I never want to type tirerack into my browser bar again, yet I do so on a very frequent basis.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus's are GREAT tires! I have them currently and let me tell you it makes the OEM (which are already crap) continental ContiPro's look even worse. Night and day difference but the Conti's are horrible.

As far as summer tires go I will be going with Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's I believe to get the best bang for buck. Sumitomo HTR Z III's are also great for the money however $15 more per tire I like the Hankook's a tad more.

If money were no object I would go with:
-Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec (a little slick though, not really a commuter)
-Continental ExtrememContact DW (extremely light/great reviews)
-Falken FK452's
-Nitto 555's.

Tires are ever changing and I feel money is one of the largest factors since you don't want the price of a tire preventing you from enjoying their true potential by trying to "save the tread". I'd basically try and stick below $140 a tire so you can actually enjoy what your buying without being afraid of breaking the bank.

With ANY new tune you will most definitely need better tires than Grand Touring all seasons, especially the OEM's our beautiful cars came with.

Hope it helps

John

EDIT: I'm going up to see Brian in July and I can't wait

Last edited by JLazop3; 19th April 2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 21st April 2010

Join Date: Sep 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero
Default Gas Mileage Impact

What is the impact on the MPG?
Old 22nd April 2010

Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
My Saabs: '06 9-3 Aero 6spd VTUNED Stage 0
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by saym View Post
What is the impact on the MPG?
if kept between 2 and 3k RPM, i've noticed better MPG since the tune... go above that and you pay for your fun so to speak.
Old 23rd April 2010
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jun 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2008 Turbo X Sedan 6-Speed Navi

Save yourself a bundle and order the tires shipped to a local authorized TireRack installer flat prepaid fee, was $19 2 years ago.

Mine arrived at the GoodYear Center and manager called, went got them installed.
UltimatePedals, USASpec PA-20GM iPod/Connects2-BTAV1, Llumar ATR15 tint rear, H&R spacers, Borbet-XL/Dunlop M3 18x8" winters, SAAB Euro Badge, Ital black frames, TurboX watch and driving gloves...Dart Vader's own anyday now
Old 23rd April 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2008                                                
My Saabs: Until 7/2010 9-3AERO SS,2.0T(previous)
Cool

Thanks for the info. I'm also looking forward to hearing what you think of the V12s. I will be buying new tires in the next 6mo, I still love the HTRZIIIS. Next time they will be 245s or 255s.
Your Texas Realtor since1995.Sorry, I crossed to the Bavarian dark sideMY FACEBOOK PAGE WITH/SAAB TURBO LIFE GALLERY. JET BLACK/TAN DAKOTA '11 335i N55 Twin Power/ZFSteptronic/SPORT/PREMIUM/NAVIGATION/DINAN 355HP/401LBFT, Previous: E92 328i 6MT SPORT/PREMIUM, '08 9-3Aero SS, '07 9-3 2.0T Premium,'06 COBB STAGE III WRX - GEARBOX KEPT BREAKING,etc.
Old 23rd April 2010
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '09 9-3 SS Aero XWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennsport1 View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm also looking forward to hearing what you think of the V12s. I will be buying new tires in the next 6mo, I still love the HTRZIIIS. Next time they will be 245s or 255s.
You've got Discount Tires locally and they are the best way to go hands down.
Carbon Gray, Black Premium Leather, VTuned, 30% tint.

Last edited by Cosmicflash; 24th April 2010 at 12:38 AM.
Old 23rd April 2010
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero 2.8L V6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennsport1 View Post
Hey man, I know you've been all about those Sumitomo's and I'm happy you found a tire you like. I'm hoping the V12's are worth $15 more per tire and I'll be sure to let you know. I was planning on moving up to 245's but since I am gonna be lowering the car, and wanting to put spacers on em, and have 18's... I think I'm just gonna stick to 235/40R18's so I can not have rub with all the different stuff.
Old 25th April 2010

Join Date: Apr 2010                                                
My Saabs: 06 2.8t 9-3 SPORTCOMBI
Default hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by technog0d View Post
I just wanted to talk for a sec on how my tune is going with my Vtuned Saab 93 Aero after 30,000 miles. I installed the tune on my 93 Aero about 3000 miles after purchasing from the dealer. I went through 2 or 3 tunes compliments of Brian from Vtuner and my car has been running great ever since. The other thing i want to mention is that i never received such great customer support from any other tuner i have ever used. I had a VW Passat with GIAC tuning and a SRT-4 with some other tuning and I basically got the tune and they could care less. Any time I had even the smallest question, Brian from Vtuner got back to me the same day.

So, to get back to the car... I just had my car in for the 3rd covered maintenance and every thing checked out great except for the 328 dollars per tire they wanted to charge me. I think i will go to Tirerack and pay half! All and all, I would say that i highly recommend the tune if you have an Aero. I just wanted to relay my experience.

TG
Is your speed limiter lifted to higher than 134?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement