Impressions on EBC rotors/pads (V6 314mm fronts) - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Tuning/Modifications - ALL ENGINES

9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Tuning/Modifications - ALL ENGINES Covers GENERAL Tuning & all Performance modifications that are *non-engine specific* in nature

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 2nd April 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jul 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero SS RICA Tuned
Default Impressions on EBC rotors/pads (V6 314mm fronts)

I installed a set of EBC GD 314mm dimpled and slotted front rotors and EBC Redstuff pads a little while ago. I did these myself and it wasn't too difficult. I did all the proper break in procedures for bedding them in. Drove 1000km's with regular braking, didn't drag the brakes. Then after 1000km's did some hard stops as suggested by EBC.

Anyways, after proper break in, I decided to do some spirited driving. I hit 190km/h, did some moderate - hard braking, the initial bite was good, once I slowed down to 60 and tried to stop, the pad had already overheated. I barely stopped the car. Massive brake fade. When the car did eventually stop, I smelled smoldering brake pads. I drove around normally to let the pads/rotors cool down. I did a few more stops from 100km/h. The first couple of times, the pads were great, lots of bite, the 3rd time, they had once again overheated. I could smell the pads and there was lots of brake fade. Honestly, these pads suck! The fact that they can even be advertised as an occasional track pad / high speed street is a joke. I don't know if these cars are too heavy for our brakes, but 314mm IMO is pretty big for a car that only weights 3100-3300lbs. I've overheated the stock pads before too, and even during normal driving, the rotors seem to get crazy hot. I'm running on RE01R's, so braking distance should already be improved.

Anyways, I don't know how I can recommend these pads. I've talked to people who track their cars and everyone says the same thing about the EBC reds. They take little time to warm up, but once they do, they have this great sweet spot that bites. Unfortunately, this sweet spot doesn't last long before the pad overheats. What a pile of steaming doo doo.

The rotors seem good, but I feel like I've wasted money on these pads. Last resort is to get the yellowstuff. I wish HAWK had apps for our cars, I've had nothing but success with HAWK in the past on and off the track. Anyways, for anyone that does high speed driving and some track, avoid redstuff at all costs!!!

BTW the gold colour on the rotors is just a coating, it wears off right away once you step on the brake a couple times.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2nd April 2010
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Apr 2009                                                
My Saabs: 04 93 arc espresso black

dude welcome to my world.... i said ebc sucks we need hawk pads they are by far the best company imo. my stock pads are better than ebc. i think you need the yellow pads they are ferro carbon thats the closest to hawk hps

Last edited by pacotaco; 2nd April 2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 2nd April 2010
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacotaco View Post
dude welcome to my world.... i said ebc sucks we need hawk pads they are by far the best company imo. my stock pads are better than ebc.

My thoughts exactly. The EBC pads aren't cheap either! Have you tried yellowstuff? You 4 cyl guys have the HAWK pads available to you. But the V6 pads use a "special" clip that not many brake manufacturers have bothered with. So us V6 guys have very limited pad choices.

What sucks is that there's nothing for the V6 aside from Akebono, wtf is that?

Old 2nd April 2010
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autotechnica View Post
My thoughts exactly. The EBC pads aren't cheap either! Have you tried yellowstuff?

What sucks is that there's nothing for the V6 aside from Akebono, wtf is that?
dude im honestly looking as hard as i can to see if i cant find hawk pads that fit or somthing else i kinda wana try the tirerack grand sport brake pads
Old 2nd April 2010
SaabNut!

Quote:
dude im honestly looking as hard as i can to see if i cant find hawk pads that fit or somthing else i kinda wana try the tirerack grand sport brake pads
I'm pretty sure HAWK makes pads for your car. I've checked the application guide on their site and it shows fitments for 93 up to 2005.
Old 2nd April 2010
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
I'm pretty sure HAWK makes pads for your car. I've checked the application guide on their site and it shows fitments for 93 up to 2005.
rears for linears..... which makes no sense
Old 2nd April 2010
SaabNut!

Quote:
rears for linears..... which makes no sense
hmmmmm... I wonder if you guys use the same pads as the V6's. It's possible, the pads aren't that big, just the V6 has a huge caliper bracket and much bigger rotors.
Old 2nd April 2010
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
hmmmmm... I wonder if you guys use the same pads as the V6's. It's possible, the pads aren't that big, just the V6 has a huge caliper bracket and much bigger rotors.
i think idk idc cuz they dont make them for the v6 either(i think). i sent hawk a comment asking for them to produce pads for 03-09 arc and aeros. i am hoping that eventualy i will just go bbk or vxr calipers and rotors that will stop my car . also stock pads work just well for me. i dont want ebc if worse comes to worse ill get the tire rack pads
Old 3rd April 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero Convertible 2.8TM, Vtune 0

That's surprising.....I had EBC red's in my Wilwood BBK on my last car, a VW. Around town they were scary on first braking....I almost rear ended people. Once they got warm, at highway speeds they were great. I changed to EBC greens, and around town I loved them, but after one highway stop, they were junk. I have never run them again. I plan on going with Metal Masters with the Saab for now...always been a great move with OEM brakes on all of my VW and Audi's....

Sean

Saab Aero Academy Alumni
Old 3rd April 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2008                                                
My Saabs: Until 7/2010 9-3AERO SS,2.0T(previous)
Cool

I have received my EBC Yellowstuffs, ready to be installed on the fronts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JET BLACK/TAN DAKOTA '11 335i N55 Twin Power/ZFSteptronic/SPORT/PREMIUM/NAVIGATION/DINAN 355HP/401LBFT, Previous: E92 328i 6MT SPORT/PREMIUM, '08 9-3Aero SS, '07 9-3 2.0T Premium,'06 COBB STAGE III WRX - GEARBOX KEPT BREAKING,etc.
Old 3rd April 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: 9³SS Aero BSR Stage 3

I think you're being very harsh to be honest...

Redstuff are not track pads and so far as I can see, EBC don't advertise them as track pads either.

GreenStuff are uprated pads for small cars.
RedStuff Ceramic are uprated pads for heavier cars and fast road use.
YellowStuff are track pads.
BlueStuff are endurance pads.

If you use a pad in a manner for which it wasn't designed, it's pretty obvious that it will overheat given enough abuse. Bringing a heavy car to a complete stop from 100 will overheat most pads.

I've run RedStuff for quite a while now and although they take a few stops to warm up, I've never had them overheat. I've never had the need to perform 3 100-0 stops one after the other either...

I was advised against YellowStuff by EBC themselves, as they take even longer to warm up during road use and operate at a much higher temp.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying they aren't built for it.
Old 3rd April 2010
Saab Lunatic

Cool

I'll let you know how the Yellowstuffs work, I am leaving the OE pads on the rears, may help when driving around town.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JET BLACK/TAN DAKOTA '11 335i N55 Twin Power/ZFSteptronic/SPORT/PREMIUM/NAVIGATION/DINAN 355HP/401LBFT, Previous: E92 328i 6MT SPORT/PREMIUM, '08 9-3Aero SS, '07 9-3 2.0T Premium,'06 COBB STAGE III WRX - GEARBOX KEPT BREAKING,etc.
Old 3rd April 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: 9³SS Aero BSR Stage 3

You may have overbraked the front mate... if you're going to upgrade, it's better to do them all evenly to avoid excess wear.

You might find the back wanting to overtake the front because the OE's operating temp is massively different to YellowStuff's. Who knows...
Old 3rd April 2010
Super Moderator

Join Date: Mar 2005                                                
My Saabs: 04 9-3SS Hirsched Aero(Black)The Lady
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision i.T Services View Post
You may have overbraked the front mate... if you're going to upgrade, it's better to do them all evenly to avoid excess wear.

You might find the back wanting to overtake the front because the OE's operating temp is massively different to YellowStuff's. Who knows...

i said something along those lines in this thread http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=180109

post 17..

Is still running factory oe coils with Hirsch tune..
Old 3rd April 2010
Saab Lunatic

Cool

I do hit triple digit speeds quite often, we have great roads, and lots of space, I have run high temp carbon metallic pads on my Porsches and did not have any problems, I just allow for longer stops when cold. I may switch to Redstuffs when I do the slotted rotors if I keep the car another year or two, not sure if I will add bigger brakes all around. I like to experiment a bit with these things. I would probably switch down to at least Redstuffs if I sell the car, which I may do next year.

Old 3rd April 2010
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '09 9-3 SS Aero XWD

Well that's wild...

So how did they compare to your oem stock pads?

My stock pads were great. I tracked it 3 times with little issues. Some fade but as I said before the brake fluid is the weakness as I did boil it once.

Just more reason to stick with the oem pads and rotors which are more than adequate for 99% of the people out there.
Carbon Gray, Black Premium Leather, VTuned, 30% tint.
Old 3rd April 2010
Saab Lunatic

Cool

I'm going with Motul brake fluid.

Old 3rd April 2010
SaabNut!

I've run HAWK HPS pads which are advertised as street pads on my M3 and 850 turbo on track and street, never had an overheating issue. So far I've only driven the redstuff pads on the street, they already suck. I can't imagine what would happen if I tracked with them. I've done hard braking on my OEM pads, though they didn't bite that well, they never really over heated to a point where I got brake fade. I would say that OEM pads work better consistently. The Redstuff pads are either too hard to work properly when cold or overheat way too fast when hot. Not happy at all with them. If I just wanted to drive my car like everyone else on the street I would have just bought OEM pads, afterall, isn't that what greenstuff was advertised for? I would have honestly stuck with OEM pads if I had known how poor these were. I figure I'll give EBC one more shot with the yellowstuff pads. However, I think I'll be disappionted.
Old 3rd April 2010
Saab Lunatic

Cool

So far I've read positive reviews of the Yellowstuffs, w'ell see. If not, it's just pads, easily changed.

Old 3rd April 2010
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '09 9-3 SS Aero XWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennsport1 View Post
I'm going with Motul brake fluid.
That will definitely help if you plan on tracking. I put in the ATE SuperBlue but haven't tracked with it although I'm sure I'm protected for any high speed desert runs...
Carbon Gray, Black Premium Leather, VTuned, 30% tint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement