9-3 Aero BSR Stage 1 vs 9-5 Aero (250) - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Performance Mods & Tuning - ALL ENGINES

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Performance Mods & Tuning - ALL ENGINES Covers GENERAL Tuning & Performance modifications that are *non-engine specific* in nature

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 1st April 2010

Join Date: May 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero 2.0T
Default 9-3 Aero BSR Stage 1 vs 9-5 Aero (250)

Not sure whether to put this in here or in the 9-5 section.

As the title really – would a Stage 1 BSR 9-3 Aero 2.0T, feel about as fast as a 2002-2006 9-5 2.3T HOT Aero?

Stats

9-5 Aero
1520 kg
250 BHP
258 lb/ft / 350 Nm
0-60 - 6.5
+ Manual overboost 20 lb/ft more torque

9-3 2.0T Aero BSR Stage 1
1455 kg
247 BHP
286 lb/ft / 388 Nm
0-60 - ???
No Overboost

Does anyone have first hand experience in this?

The main reason I want to know is that when my dad had a 9-5 Aero, I used to love the addictive surge of acceleration from the HOT engine – if I BSR S1 my 9-3 Aero, will it feel similar in pace?

Last edited by aod; 1st April 2010 at 12:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1st April 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2005                                                
My Saabs: GenuineSaab.com

Will be close on the highway but from a launch the 2.3 will make more low end torque.
Old 1st April 2010
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2009                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-3SS Aero, I4, MT6, Maptun Stage 1

I have driven myself both MY03 stock 9-5 Aero 2.3T and Hirsch'd MY03 9-3SS Aero 2.0T.

The 9-3Ss gives you the feeling of a much faster car in every way (acceleration, speed etc). And the difference is there and noticeable. Not to mention the much better handling of the 9-3SS when it comes to cornering and driving in twisty roads.
Old 2nd April 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTaliaferro View Post
Will be close on the highway but from a launch the 2.3 will make more low end torque.
Thanks - when you mention the 9-5 will make more low end torque, are you reffering to the overboost? I don't know if my figures are accurate but if the overboost gives you up to 20nm more torque, that's still a total of 370 Nm, below the 9-3 BSR's 388 Nm maximum? OR are you referring to the 9-5's incredibly flat torque curve, possibly giving a more linear kick in the backside from a standing?

Last edited by aod; 2nd April 2010 at 06:48 AM.
Old 2nd April 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_de_ze View Post
I have driven myself both MY03 stock 9-5 Aero 2.3T and Hirsch'd MY03 9-3SS Aero 2.0T.

The 9-3Ss gives you the feeling of a much faster car in every way (acceleration, speed etc). And the difference is there and noticeable. Not to mention the much better handling of the 9-3SS when it comes to cornering and driving in twisty roads.
Thanks for the reply!

This is interesting to hear - I used to think that '02 9-5 Aero my dad had, was one of the quickest things on the road - there really didn't seem to be much that could keep up with it (back in the day when a fast BMW was a 231BHP 330i), and it just pulled and pulled. I would be over the moon if the BSR PPC S1 can give my 9-3 a similar character.
Old 2nd April 2010
Saab Crazy

The 9-5 is really a quick car. No doubt about it.
1st gear is sort of weak (not too much boost), 2nd is stronger and 3rd is where the party begins. This is the gear that reminds you that the car you drive is a powerful one. But it's a heavy and big car. It's better on highways. When it comes to cornering you just feel that you don't have too much control over it. Where with a 9-3 you feel more relaxed and have more confidence in twisty roads. The 9-5 gives more of a detached-contact-with-the-ground feeling. I don't know how to explain it well.

I had extensively driven both 9-3 and 9-5 before deciding which one to buy.
However, the stock 9-3 aero 2.0T is not as fast as the stock 9-5 aero 2.3T. It is the ECU upgrade on the 9-3 that transforms the car.
Old 2nd April 2010

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3 se hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by aod View Post
Thanks - when you mention the 9-5 will make more low end torque, are you reffering to the overboost?
No, simply, the Aero has a larger displacement engine so it, naturally, moves more air.
Old 6th April 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_de_ze View Post
The 9-5 is really a quick car. No doubt about it.
1st gear is sort of weak (not too much boost), 2nd is stronger and 3rd is where the party begins. This is the gear that reminds you that the car you drive is a powerful one. But it's a heavy and big car. It's better on highways. When it comes to cornering you just feel that you don't have too much control over it. Where with a 9-3 you feel more relaxed and have more confidence in twisty roads. The 9-5 gives more of a detached-contact-with-the-ground feeling. I don't know how to explain it well.

I had extensively driven both 9-3 and 9-5 before deciding which one to buy.
However, the stock 9-3 aero 2.0T is not as fast as the stock 9-5 aero 2.3T. It is the ECU upgrade on the 9-3 that transforms the car.
Thanks for taking the time to reply, Itís much appreciated.

Iím really talking myself in to getting the BSR Stage 1 PPC for my 9-3. One of the reasons I bought the 9-3 in the first place was from influence of the 9-5 Aero my dad had years ago Ė I wanted that amazing shove of acceleration. I hoped the 9-3 Aero would offer a similar experience, and although itís quick at times, it doesnít have that insane turbo punch of the 250 BHP 9-5.

From your description it sounds as if a BSR 9-3 Aero should match or exceed expectations of the 9-5 Aero, which Iím very excited about!
Old 6th April 2010
Saab Crazy

The stock 9-3 2.3T Aero cannot match the stock 9-5 2.0T Aero. The 9-5 is definitely quicker and faster in every aspect. The thrust of the stock 9-5 is way ahead of the stock 9-3.
But a tuned 9-3 is something you will very much enjoy. You will be surprised and you will find it to be quicker than the 9-5.

My 9-3 has maptun stage 1 (250hp, 365Nm) and on a recent 900Km journey this last weekend (due to Easter Sunday the highways were totally traffic-free on Sunday) I was able to see 247Km/h on the clock when I had to leave well behind an SLK 230 (193 hp 2.3 L supercharged I4 engine, top speed 245 km/h) which was desperately trying to overtake me when I was traveling for a very short time with 200 km/h. She was slowly left behind and finally she just gave up. I was able to keep up very well with an Audi S5 (however with 4 people on board) which was accelerating very fast when we had to stop at the tolls and then we both took off at the same time from separate toll booths. I could not though keep pace with a Porsche 911S which got away extremely fast ahead of us. Most probably the Audi S5 (4.2lt 354hp) driver was trying to compete with the Porsche and from just total coincidence I happened to be there so I decided to join .... their club! The Audi driver was mostly surprised to see a humble saab being close to his rear bumper till we well hit 180 km/h!

The above were just plain instantaneous incidents since most of the time during the whole journey I kept a speed of 100-120Km/h! On the way back (400 Km on highway) by keeping an average speed of 105km/h, my consumption was 7.3 litres/100 Km (38.7 mpUKg , 32.2 mpUSg).

Last edited by chris_de_ze; 6th April 2010 at 07:57 AM.
Old 6th April 2010

My Saabs: 93 Turbo X manual - Maptun Stage 1

I have had an 02 93 aero ( Stage 1 - (250bhp) and then bought an 04 95 aero (250bhp) standard

The on the 93 transformed the car from 4,000 rpm upwards.

When I jumped into the 95, it didnt have the same urge 4,000 upwards, like the 93, but what it did have was a feeling of lots more torque from low down

enjoyed both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement