Blue smoke at startup - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 18th March 2010

Join Date: Sep 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2002 9-5 2.3t
Thumbs down Blue smoke at startup

About 4 days ago, I noticed a cloud of bright blue smoke coming from my exhaust when I started the car up. I've noticed it happen every time I have started the car since then, sometimes worse than others. The car runs fine and the check engine light is not on. I understand this means oil is burning and I probably need to replace my turbo, but can anyone tell me if there is anything else I can check first? Also, can anyone explain how the turbo works? Hope this isnt a dumb question!

2002 9-5 2.3t linear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18th March 2010
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 320hp, 2003 Aero Hirsch "Clone"

Do you have the PCV update # 6 the extra crankcase pressure can blow some oil by the seals in teh tubo.

Bt if your turbo has more tha n 100K on it you are definitely due
Old 29th March 2010

No i have not, can you tell me more about it?
Also, how long can I go before my turbo MUST be replaced? What will happen to the car when the turbo is officially toast? Will it not start, or die???
The car has 123ooo miles on it.
Old 29th March 2010
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: MY00 Aero (272hp/295ftlbs T7suite)

alright you have a few things to consider.

if this is your original turbo, i would bet money that this blue smoke is indicative of the seals starting to go bad. this means its time for a new turbo.

you could theoretically run your car for a very long time even like this, but keep these things in mind:
1. your car is going to start eating oil like no other, youll be CONSTANTLY filling it back up or risk ruining your motor as a result of oil starvation
2. if you leave it, you run the risk of oil blowing on your o2 sensors and through your cat. converter, and that can cause both to fail. if all three fail, youre looking at replacing another 300-500 dollars worth of parts.
3. youll obviously see a HUGE decline in available power. your turbo will get to a point where it cant hold boost pressure at all
4.your engine is going to be more prone to overheating most likely, and that can cost serious $$ if you warp any engine components

so, given the cons, i would say ABSOLUTELY DO NOT run the turbo into the ground- so much to a point where it is this bad. if youre only using a little oil, it may last you 10k more miles, it may last 50k more miles. its hard to say. but once you start pouring more blue smoke and using a significant amount of oil-its time to get this taken care of.

here is what you can do to determine where you're at:
pull the hoses off the intercooler (very easy) and see how much oil is in these hoses. if you have near a cups worth, your turbo is on its very last legs. if you have less than that to a few teaspoons- youre probably fine for now.

^this method is by FAR the easiest of determining where youre at short of taking the turbo off the car. PLEASE PLEASE do not try and push the limits with a worn out turbo. i promise you will regret it if you do- especially given the repercussions of doing so. you risk much more costly repairs.

good luck!

One thing about me: I'm better at hiding than they are at vision.
Old 30th March 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-5 Sedan, 2006 Sportcombi

Honestly just because it is your oringinal turbo doesn't mean it is your turbo causing this. The first step is to do the PCV#6 because if you put another turbo on without the update you can still have the same issue in the future. The cheapiest route is to do this first if it doesn't fix then I would look at the turbo. Good luck, Terry
Old 30th March 2010
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jul 2009                                                
My Saabs: 1999 95 SE V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by saaaab1 View Post
[...] can anyone explain how the turbo works? Hope this isnt a dumb question! 2002 9-5 2.3t linear
^^^ +1 You can learn get more of your technical questions answered here. With respect to all the suggestions you received thus far. I encourage you to search the forums more, if only to get a feel for sourcing your replacement unit if you DIY. Turbo failures are common place occurrences for Saab's owners. Personal experience has taught me that it's better to get in front of this issue before it gets worse.
Old 30th March 2010

Thanks a lot everybody! I will check the intercooler valve soon. I have not noticed a loss of oil yet, but I have definitely already noticed a loss of power and lower mpgs.
Can you tell me more about the PCV#6? I will do a forum search, but just thought I'd ask...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement