2002 9-3 Neutral Safety Switch - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 17th March 2010

Join Date: May 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2002 9-3 SE
Default 2002 9-3 Neutral Safety Switch

Hi Guys,

I got a new (for me) '02 9-3 a little back and it's been a dream of a car, but I've had problems lately with the car not starting after being driven, usually 10-15 minutes takes care of the problem, althought sometimes (usually when it gets suddenly cold) the car won't start even if I leave it alone 30 minutes, an hour, I've been stranded overnight twice now. My father had a 2002 9-5 with the same problem, he replaced the NSS and hasn't had a problem since, i've ruled out the CPS or anything but the NSS after reading on these forums and others. Problem is, I really don't have money to buy a new NSS even if I did the labor myself with a friend. I was laid off recently and am currently in school, just bad timing.

I was reading about the paperclip bypass, but can't find any clear pictures or diagrams of where exactly this goes and I don't care to mess anything up on my car. While looking around the engine yesterday I found a small stripped wire with 2 strands in a crevice in the engine bay which makes me think the old owner might've been using this bypass. If anyone has a picture/diagram/clear instructions on how to bypass this NSS until I get the money to fix it I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17th March 2010

Join Date: May 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2002 9-3 SE

Just left me stranded (at home luckily) again.
Old 18th March 2010
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '96 900S, Automatic with 148K miles, blu

This NSS neutral safety switch, from what I have read, can be disassembled, cleaned, relubed, reinstalled.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=129988
There is more; troubleshooting must be done.
173K miles in the good ole USA
Old 18th March 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                
My Saabs: 1995 900SE convert. V6

You didn't say whether or not the starter will crank the engine. If it will, the NSS isn't the problem.
Old 18th March 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2007                                                
My Saabs: '96 900 `04 9 Arc Vert

I will start my answer by saying that John Bernard and I respectfully disagree on the NSS and bypassing it as a fix. i think it is a weak link that serves no useful purpose and should thus be bypassed permanently. None of my Saabs has the NSS intact even if they weren't exhibiting any issues. ASSUMING the NSS is your problem, the fix is simple and straight forward. (If your engine turns when you turn the key, look elsewhere).

Here's the simple fix for the 9

Here's the bypass for a 900

Old 18th March 2010
Saab Lunatic

A few more pics that may help:

Old 31st March 2010

Join Date: Mar 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-3

I just had my mechanic perform this quick fix and it worked brilliantly. I now own the car I meant to own when I bought it. My 2001 9-3 has just been, in twenty minutes, transformed from a recalcitrant non starting waste of a beautiful car to a beautiful, perfectly tuned 9-3 that actually starts every time. Thank you Frank for your amazing fix! Don't hesitate in doing this to your Saab if it's not starting.
Old 31st March 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2005 9-5 Aero Sedan. Chilli/charcoal MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by john bernard View Post
You didn't say whether or not the starter will crank the engine. If it will, the NSS isn't the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Drebin View Post
I will start my answer by saying that John Bernard and I respectfully disagree on the NSS and bypassing it as a fix. (If your engine turns when you turn the key, look elsewhere).
Am i missing something?
Old 31st March 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                
My Saabs: 1995 900SE convert. V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankuspr View Post
Am i missing something?
Nope...
Old 31st March 2010
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by john bernard View Post
Nope...
Old 1st February 2013

Join Date: Feb 2013                                                
My Saabs: 2002 Saab 9-3 se
Default Making sure I have this correct.

Hi, I've been reading up on this bypass and it looks like my 02 Saab 9-3 se is going to need this. I just want to verify a few things considering I'm not all that well with schematics..
So to do this bypass basically what I need to do is take a piece of wire, connect it to the bottom lead of fuse 36. Push the fuse back in. Then, take the wire from the fuse I just installed and use a quick connector to wire it into the grn/blck wire on the starter relay (pin 86). Is this correct? I do appreciate your guy's advise thus far but please help!!
Thanks in advance.
Old 15th February 2013

Yes, that's it, but there are some wrinkles. I recently did this with my 2001 9-3. It is a bit of a struggle to get the panel under the steering wheel off; on mine, there was one 10 mm bolt, 7 or 8 torx head screws, 2 push pin connectors (very delicate), and a hookup for a auxiliary battery supply or Tech-II sensor (not sure) to disconnect. The wire coming out from the back of Fuse 36 is easy enough (red/green on mine); however, the wire from pin 86 was, on my Saab, black and white. So I unscrewed the torx screw that held the relay box up and worked the entire box free (took some careful manipulating, but you can figure it out by looking at it - the front drops down, the rears have to slide forward before they'll drop down; it doesn't give up without a fight). I removed the starter relay to confirm that the black and white wire was in fact hooked to pin #86 on the relay - it was - and I went from there. So far the car has started every time, no problem; HOWEVER, I am getting transmission and a gear wheel/exclamation symbol idiot lights on my panel, which based on the comments on this forum was unexpected. So, at least for me it appears that I will HAVE to put in an in-line switch into the bypass, as several folks have already suggested on this forum. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 6th March 2013

An Update to my last post. About a week after doing the above work, I disconnected the negative battery cable to install new plugs. When I reconnected the cable and started the car, the "transmission" (gearbox) and "gear-wheel/exclamation symbol" (CEL) idiot lights had self-cleared. The bypass still works (I put the car in gear and "tapped" the ignition to prove it). So it seems I don't need a switch in the bypass after all, though I'll install one anyway if I ever sell the car (I ordered a 12 volt doorbell switch to do it, if I ever need to). Again, hope this helps.
Old 21st May 2013

Join Date: May 2013                                                
My Saabs: Martin the 1998 900S turbo 5 speed

Frank, thank you for sharing this fix. I'm glad to have my car running again.
Johanna
Old 6th April 2014

Join Date: Apr 2014                                                

Curious if there are similar starting circuit diagrams for the 2001 9-5. I would like to do this fix but cannot seem to get all the info together. My fuse number 36 in the 9-5 is for my power windows. Don't think that would give me great results I have no idea what fuse 36 goes to on the 9-3. I have scoured the interwebs with no luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement