Strut or Sway bar for 2.8T? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Performance Mods & Tuning - ALL ENGINES

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Performance Mods & Tuning - ALL ENGINES Covers GENERAL Tuning & Performance modifications that are *non-engine specific* in nature

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 8th March 2010
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero 2.8L V6T
Question Strut or Sway bar for 2.8T?

Anyone know if there is a strut bar you can order for the 2.8T to increase stability/stiffness? I'm considering making one with a buddy of mine who welded and made his own and offered to help me but if there is a good one online I'll just use that.

Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 8th March 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jul 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2005 linear 9-3 saab

as far as i know for the V6 you have the genuine saab subframe brace
http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/p...cfcf6371b31de2
don't know of any strut bars for the V6 yet.
i have a subframe brace sitting at home for my 2.0t, just trying to find sometime to put it on.
their are mixed reviews for it, but most a positive
i know someone is going to chime in soon and talk about new springs/shocks. don't know as much as others do about upgrading that.
Old 8th March 2010

Join Date: Feb 2010                                                
My Saabs: 9-3

Go for springs/shocks if you really want better handling.
I have the 3pt. very minimal effect.
Old 9th March 2010

Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2009 Saab 93 combisport V6(fully loaded)

Strut tower braces do little to nothing for handling. I to would like to see some swaybars made and coilovers. Our V6s XWD, have a little understeer. But, most cars today are made to have a little under steer, do to the amount of people that really cant drive like a Indy car driver. Remember changing the swaybar in the rear will increase the front and visa versa.
Coilovers will keep the car down and centered while turning. A right combination of both will make our V6s steer great.

So, If I find out I will tell you, and you do the same OK?
Old 9th March 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE86 View Post
Go for springs/shocks if you really want better handling.
I have the 3pt. very minimal effect.
There is only a 2 point subframe for the XWD. I had a 3pt on my Subaru Legacy. Like you said minimal effect. But like it tell you on GenuineSaab.com, these subframe connector will strengthen the frame, and it also makes it more able to feel bumps on the road.

Does anyone know what shocks are in the 93 2.0T or 2.8T? I see they have the bilstein for $500; which is a good deal. That is all depending the damping of the belstein. Just like many things; bilsteins make mass order to Top shelf.

Who is the suspension Guru on this forum? Maybe they will know better. And if all good, maybe we can get a group buy with springs an struts.
Old 9th March 2010

Join Date: Nov 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 Aero | 334 FWHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLazop3 View Post
Anyone know if there is a strut bar you can order for the 2.8T to increase stability/stiffness? I'm considering making one with a buddy of mine who welded and made his own and offered to help me but if there is a good one online I'll just use that.

Thanx
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedawgs View Post
Strut tower braces do little to nothing for handling. I to would like to see some swaybars made and coilovers. Our V6s XWD, have a little understeer. But, most cars today are made to have a little under steer, do to the amount of people that really cant drive like a Indy car driver. Remember changing the swaybar in the rear will increase the front and visa versa.
Coilovers will keep the car down and centered while turning. A right combination of both will make our V6s steer great.

I wanted the same with either stiffer sway bars or a strut brace for the 2.8. Im assuming (on genuinesaab) it only has one for the 4cyl bc there are probably clearance issues with the coolant reservoir, or the hood (or something...). Someone told me to look into tuning MODS for the Opel Vectra as supposedly their setup is the same for the 2.8 V6 models. Some stiffer sway bars or even a strut brace would be money...

has anyone looked into mods for the Vectra to see if they match up with our Saab's? I have looked, albeit quite unsuccessfully ...
Old 9th March 2010
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero87 View Post
I wanted the same with either stiffer sway bars or a strut brace for the 2.8. Im assuming (on genuinesaab) it only has one for the 4cyl bc there are probably clearance issues with the coolant reservoir, or the hood (or something...). Someone told me to look into tuning MODS for the Opel Vectra as supposedly their setup is the same for the 2.8 V6 models. Some stiffer sway bars or even a strut brace would be money...

has anyone looked into mods for the Vectra to see if they match up with our Saab's? I have looked, albeit quite unsuccessfully ...
Don't know but lemme know when you know haha sounds legit
Old 10th March 2010

I've asked around including Shops in Europe and there aren't any swaybars upgrade for my 9-3. They say that they can't find a way to improve the OE ones.
Some say that modified swaybars will mess with stuff like ESP..... idk.
Old 10th March 2010

Quote:
There is only a 2 point subframe for the XWD. I had a 3pt on my Subaru Legacy. Like you said minimal effect. But like it tell you on GenuineSaab.com, these subframe connector will strengthen the frame, and it also makes it more able to feel bumps on the road.

Does anyone know what shocks are in the 93 2.0T or 2.8T? I see they have the bilstein for $500; which is a good deal. That is all depending the damping of the belstein. Just like many things; bilsteins make mass order to Top shelf.

Who is the suspension Guru on this forum? Maybe they will know better. And if all good, maybe we can get a group buy with springs an struts.

Yeh I know, I was just replying to the post above me with the link. The 3pt made my steering a bit tighter and some very minimal feel on turns.
As far as the more feel on road bumps, I don't think I would want that on any car, but I think it does have an effect on that such as driving on rail tracks.

Spring/Shocks, Coilovers would be the best for handling mods that will have a major effect on suspension.
Old 10th March 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero Vtuner Stage 0 Rev 2.0
Garage

Quote:

If you are going to do shocks, your best bet would be to either go Bilsteins or Koni's - I went with the latter. Seems to be the more common one around here. Plus, they have some great discounts (25%) at the moment all the way up till June.

Also, where did you see Bilsteins for $500?
Old 10th March 2010

I wish I book marked it for the Bilsteins. I know that was just for struts, not springs.

I think we need to start a thread for the 2.8 V6, and the mods we all find for it. A common place to find parts and accessories for the V6. What do you say>???
Old 10th March 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2011 Saab 9-4x

You can get some KW Variant Coils that PWN for 9-3 V6

3" Downpipe and Midpipe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ3nPLrEeRk
Old 10th March 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero V6

Quote:

I have to disagree with you 100%. I had Tien Coilovers on my 350z. I took the strut bar to install a lower and upper intake plenum and I could definately feel the difference. The steering felt "mushy" and turn in was no where near as crisp. There is a reason that most performance cars come with these stock. I plan on getting the H&R coilovers and I will write a review on the install and ride along with pictures.
Old 10th March 2010
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLazop3 View Post

Thanx
I actually thinking of doing the same thing. The chassis and suspension are definately the weak point of the car. I was thinking of doing something really thin similiar to the 370z stock strut brace because of the lack of room. If you do please post pics and the material used. Good luck.
Old 10th March 2010
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibiru View Post
I actually thinking of doing the same thing. The chassis and suspension are definately the weak point of the car. I was thinking of doing something really thin similiar to the 370z stock strut brace because of the lack of room. If you do please post pics and the material used. Good luck.
no doubt i definately will... its lookin that way
Old 11th March 2010
SaabNut!

Default I have another idea.

I had another idea about making it slope down near the firewall since there isn't a lot of room on the top between the engine and hood. Well post pics man.
Old 11th March 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibiru View Post
I have to disagree with you 100%. I had Tien Coilovers on my 350z. I took the strut bar to install a lower and upper intake plenum and I could definately feel the difference. The steering felt "mushy" and turn in was no where near as crisp. There is a reason that most performance cars come with these stock. I plan on getting the H&R coilovers and I will write a review on the install and ride along with pictures.
Did you install the Tein coilovers the same time you did the strut bar lower and upper? Just making sure?

Just to make sure I am pointing out the top strut bars, not lower bars. The reason I say this is the top is too far away from the suspension to make a night an day difference. If you did a lower brace than you are most closer to the suspension and going to make a bigger difference. Think of it like a fulcrum; you are going to have much more strength closure to the pressure point than away from it. I hope I am not confusing anyone.

To clarify does the top strut bar do anything, yes, but little to no noticeable difference. Does a bottom strut bar do anything, yes, much more noticeable.

Hey this is just my experience and two cents also.
Old 17th March 2010
SaabNut!

Default Clarification

I installed something which required the strut bar to be removed. I drove the car afterwards and noticed the suspension was more mushy and comfortable. After putting the strut bar back on I noticed the turn in was sharper and ride was rougher. It was kind of a night and day thing. I am sure the same thing would happen for our cars.

"To clarify does the top strut bar do anything, yes, but little to no noticeable difference. Does a bottom strut bar do anything, yes, much more noticeable."

I'll have to disagree because of personal experience. There is a reason most perforance cars have these. Don't believe me look at time attack cars. The more bracing the chassis has the better it will handle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement