P0300 Random Misfire - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 7th March 2010

Join Date: Feb 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 Vector
Default P0300 Random Misfire

Hello,

To begin let me just say yes, i have done a serch, and yes i know there are multi threads about this topic. But none seem to have my problem, or are on a different model all toghther.

I have a 2003 93 Vector or Aero..... whatever.

The code is the dreaded P0300 which you all know is a random misfire. My car drives just fine! Spools up and has tons of power. Nothing wrong with the way it drives. You can just tell at idle. Its not "harsh" for say.... just has a hiccup kind of sound. The tachometer isin't moving, but you can feel the car shutter a little bit when its hiccupping. Just got it back from the dealer and the mechanic said its last spark plugs were fuel soaked. He replaced them and updated the ECM with a new program. No hiccup the first day, but the next morning, going to work i statred it up and WHAM, the CEL was on and the hiccup began again. BTW, the CEL never comes on while im driving, it turnes on at startup only and stays on until i shut the car off. Anybody have any ideas?

I appreciate any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 8th March 2010

Nobody?
Old 8th March 2010
Saabista

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 03 SE 5 Spd

"...the CEL never comes on while im driving, it turnes on at startup only and stays on until i shut the car off."

I'm not sure I understand that, does it come on when you start the car then go out when you start driving, or does it stay on until you turn the car off?
Old 8th March 2010

it turns on when i start it, then stays on while im driving. no flashing, just a constant engine light.

what i had meant to say, which i now understand my confusing statement, was that when i clear the code, it would never come on while i drove it right after clearing it. I actully cleared the code then drove over 120 miles, and it never came on. it came on the next morning at startup when i was headed out to work. it now comes on everytime i start it and stays unless i clear the code again.
Old 8th March 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2007 93 SS-AERO V6 MT6

P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected.

go to the dealer asap for a check. coil packs in the electronic board short circuit may involved in a wiring connections engine fired.

Old 8th March 2010
Saabista

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 03 SE 5 Spd

Vacuum Leak, right next to the dipstick....
Old 8th March 2010
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonV View Post
Vacuum Leak, right next to the dipstick....
Most likely without additional info. I believe there is a thread in the FAQ with photos.
Old 8th March 2010

thanks... i'll check it out!
Old 8th March 2010

anybody have a link on that common vacume leak problem next to the dipstick? can't seem to find it, and the FAQ page is blank.....
Old 9th March 2010
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Nov 2009                                                
My Saabs: '03 Saab 9-3 2.0t

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpOoLiN'2 View Post
anybody have a link on that common vacume leak problem next to the dipstick? can't seem to find it, and the FAQ page is blank.....
Here you go, sir:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=151261

This board is great. I've inspected mine and it was cracked badly.
Couple days ago I bought a generic PVC elbow from Advanced Auto Parts, replaced and it runs like a champ now.
It's easy to get it off, kinds tricky to put it back on.
Should take anywhere from 10 mins to 1 hour to fix
Old 9th March 2010

Update.

The CEL went out the day before yesterday... thought i was in the clear and the computer had corrected itself. Well tonight about a hour and a half ago i go to get dinner. It starts up fine at home, and i head out. Granted, i didnt give it much time to warm up. It drives fine over to the resturant with no issues. I come back out after getting my togo order, try to start it....it starts for like 2 seconds and dies.... this car has officially left me stranded now. Had to walk home 30 minutes in the cold.
Old 9th March 2010
Saab on the Brain!

Did you check the vac line by the dipstick? Still sounds like a vacuum leak, albeit one that has gotten bigger.
Old 9th March 2010

ive looked for that leak to no avail.... granted, i couldnt remove the plastic engine shroud... bolts were on there good. but what i could see, i didnt see anything. guess its to the dealer with me.... gonna try and go back and start it in a while. thanks for the help
Old 10th March 2010
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpOoLiN'2 View Post
ive looked for that leak to no avail.... granted, i couldnt remove the plastic engine shroud... bolts were on there good.
Try a ratchet with a torx bit. Probably put on that way and a simple screwdriver handle not enough to loosen them. Why "techs" think something like this needs to be on tight is beyond me.
Old 10th March 2010

tell me about it... i was surprised that the shroud was on there so tightly.... i only ha a screw driver type star pattern.... thought i ws gonna have to turn in my man card in there for a minute.... had my friend try as well and he couldn't get them busted loose either...

Anyways, the car started this morning with no issues, and no CEL. I let it warm up this time for like 5 minutes. Drove it to the dealer to have them look at it. Cause the damn thing stranded me, and thats where i draw the line. It's been there all day and no word yet. Let my service consultant know about the common vacume leak by the dipstick. Got my fingers crossed BIG TIME.
Old 11th March 2010

UPDATE

Just got a call from the dealer..... says the fuel pump is toast.... gonna set me back $900.00
I really hope this fixes this damn car. I've owned it for less than a month and ive already spent almost $2,000.00 in repairs. GEEZ
Old 12th March 2010

Join Date: Mar 2010                                                
My Saabs: 9-3ss 2.0T

Have you changed the spark plugs and checked the coils? I have that code and the first thing I am doing(its about time to do it anyways) is changing the plugs and checking the coils. My first thought would be a vac leak do to "Random cylinders misfire" so I am going to check for a leak tomorrow while I am at the fire house.
I just would have thought it to be any number of things before the pump.
I am also getting a P0411 "Secondary Air injection system fault" along with the P0300 so something with the Vac is most likely my problem. I would try and get the cover off and check for a leak before I spend $900+ on a fuel pump. I have seen the dealership start with all the costly parts only to work their way down to the cheapest before the problem is fixed. Let us know how it plays out.
Old 13th March 2010
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Nov 2009                                                
My Saabs: '03 Saab 9-3 2.0t

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhillsaab View Post
Have you changed the spark plugs and checked the coils? I have that code and the first thing I am doing(its about time to do it anyways) is changing the plugs and checking the coils. My first thought would be a vac leak do to "Random cylinders misfire" so I am going to check for a leak tomorrow while I am at the fire house.
I just would have thought it to be any number of things before the pump.
I am also getting a P0411 "Secondary Air injection system fault" along with the P0300 so something with the Vac is most likely my problem. I would try and get the cover off and check for a leak before I spend $900+ on a fuel pump. I have seen the dealership start with all the costly parts only to work their way down to the cheapest before the problem is fixed. Let us know how it plays out.
mhillsaab,
P0411 is emissions related.
I suggest you follow the instructions from the DIY.
First, inspect the valve, it is likely to need replacement, then unhook pump-to-valve line and see if blows upon the cold stars. If not, it is probably seized too.
Repair cost is ~$90 for the valve and ~$300 for the pump. You can replace both yourself or pay no more than $150 for a mechanic to do that.
Let me know if you need any assistance with that.
Old 13th March 2010

Join Date: Mar 2010                                                
My Saabs: 9-3ss 2.0T

Quote:
Originally Posted by xp3 View Post
mhillsaab,
P0411 is emissions related.
I suggest you follow the instructions from the DIY.
First, inspect the valve, it is likely to need replacement, then unhook pump-to-valve line and see if blows upon the cold stars. If not, it is probably seized too.
Repair cost is ~$90 for the valve and ~$300 for the pump. You can replace both yourself or pay no more than $150 for a mechanic to do that.
Let me know if you need any assistance with that.

I have. The valve has soot in it, but I am still getting suction when I disconnect the line from the box( its not a ton, but I am getting some, from what I understand with a clean pump it will be pretty high). So at least I know its not totally fried! I plan to drill a small hole in it tomorrow as a band aid until I can get a new valve. Then I plan to rig a plug that I can use to drain any water in the pump every time I check the valve from now on. Hopefully that will reduce the risk of ever having the pump fill with enough water to blow it. If I am missing anything let me know. Thanks
Old 13th March 2010
Saab on the Brain!

xp3 is right about inspecting the SAI check valve. It is something you should always do if you own a 2003.

SAI check valve failures are more common than fuel pump failures. SAI is poorly understood in general, and most techs don't recognize the problems because the system is only present on the 2003 model year cars.

The FAQ contains inspection instructions. It is as easy as adding wiper fluid. I inspect my check valve any time I pop the hood for any reason.

Last edited by ctrlz; 13th March 2010 at 07:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement