Paul Olivers Build Thread, 04 Vector - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 19th February 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
My Saabs: 93 2.2tid Vector Sport
Default Paul Olivers Build Thread, 04 Vector

Hello, after seeing Alexdrops and Xtopherr's build threads i figured i would start my own. I bought my car back in january so not alot has happened yet but i do plan to slowly make intersting changes, alot of them wont be typical off the shelf things.

Spec as standard:
Sat nav, 6 cd changer, 7 speaker system, leather interior, that kinda thing.

photos from when i got it:

Seems to be a well cared for car, with near perfect bodywork.

First thing i did was order new bulbs throughout. Bought an Hid kit, warning cancellors, chrome indicator bulbs throughout, blue led foglights, led sidelights and led interior bulbs.

I installed a sub, boston ba35s, sony 6x9s and infinity 6.5s. I also sound deadened my front doors.

I wanted Leds in my speaker grilles and door handles like on my old audi, so i installed those too:

I then decided i didnt like my blue fogs, so ditched them in favour of some yellow ones, i also fitted nice new numberplate surrounds:

I then fitted new filters all round and ditched the nasty pirellis in favour of some lovely vredestein sessantas.

Couple of days ago i fitted reverse sensors as my parents wanted some and offered to get me a set! So i now have hidden ones that work with an electromagnetic strip, they are really good! No ugly reverse sensors sticking out...no photos as well...theres nothing to take a photo of!

Plans:
*Fit an aero spoiler, or make my own as id quite like something slightly different
*Build a duplex system, i have 2 nice milltek tips ready for it as well as the boxes, just got to build a y splitter next and cut out my lower valance.
*M5 lip spoiler to go at the top of the rear window
*Lowering springs, think i will go with eibach.
*3 point subframe brace, home made.
*Strut brace, again home made.
*Leds in the rear door handles, and in some cubby holes
*Leds in the ceiling dome
*Blacked out headlights
*Colour code bump strips and door handles
*Respray the black wing mirror plates
*Spray the wheels a darker colour
*Get the RX8 2010 maps for my sat nav
*Vinyl wrap my roof either black or gunmetal
*Carbon wrap some interior parts, and perhaps my grille surrounds upfront too
*Tint indicators and rear lights

So yes, lots of little things, not after changing it performance wise much as its the crappy 2.2 tid engine and its not ever going to be anything good!
04 Saab 9-3 2.2 TID Vector Sport. 6K dips, 3K projector fogs, LED sides, Nav, Aero Leather, Boston S35 dash, Fli rear, Infinity doors, JL sub, hidden park sensors, pressed plates, full LED interior lights, black badges, M5 window spoiler, 08+ bridge spoiler, colour coded bump strips, washers and nav fin, Aero front splitter, Duplex straight through exhaust
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19th February 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2005 9.3 Linear; 1989 900 Turbo

Nice work! Especially like the green LED's! Can you post a "how to" along with what parts/led's you've used?
Old 19th February 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2008                                                
My Saabs: Was 2004 9-3.

I agree, I really like how the door handles look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulloj View Post
Nice work! Especially like the green LED's! Can you post a "how to" along with what parts/led's you've used?
Old 19th February 2010

My Saabs: 9-3SS 2.0t Vector '03

very nice! my car is pretty much the same as yours, same colour, same rims, same trim level. how did you hook your sub/amp up?
Old 20th February 2010
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulloj View Post
Once i figure out which wire is for the window switch illumination so i can tap into it, i shall do a write up Currently running off cigarette lighter which isnt ideal as they dont stay on after the key is taken out. Leds were just cheap ebay crap but they work fine, used this guy before

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/50x-5mm-Green-...item1c0a4933f7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridenbaugh View Post
I agree, I really like how the door handles look!
Thank you, i think they just make the interior more interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-93 View Post
very nice! my car is pretty much the same as yours, same colour, same rims, same trim level. how did you hook your sub/amp up?
Awesome, best cars I did a sub wire install write up in the FAQ and there is also SABAs write up next to the FAQ too with all the information you need! Any problems then gimme a shout
04 Saab 9-3 2.2 TID Vector Sport. 6K dips, 3K projector fogs, LED sides, Nav, Aero Leather, Boston S35 dash, Fli rear, Infinity doors, JL sub, hidden park sensors, pressed plates, full LED interior lights, black badges, M5 window spoiler, 08+ bridge spoiler, colour coded bump strips, washers and nav fin, Aero front splitter, Duplex straight through exhaust
Old 20th February 2010

Join Date: Jun 2008                                                
My Saabs: None, 2008 Audi A4

Looks very good, the green accent lighting on the interior is very nice.
Old 21st February 2010

My Saabs: 9-3SS 2.0t Vector '03

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulOliver View Post
Awesome, best cars I did a sub wire install write up in the FAQ and there is also SABAs write up next to the FAQ too with all the information you need! Any problems then gimme a shout
Yes i remember reading that. Im just trying to find the easiest way to hook up an amp and sub for the car as the 4 speaker set up ive got, even with replaced speakers, just doesn't cut it for me.
Old 21st February 2010
Saab Lunatic

Sabas way of sourcing power is the easiest, my way is the best if you are going to run quite power hungry speakers/subs.

On a 4 speaker, you really need to get some door speakers in for some midrange upfront! mine sounded weird when i disconnected them briefly!
Old 22nd February 2010
Saab Lunatic

Right, i had a little bit of a crash last night, back end spun out on sheet ice and i ended up ditching my saab. Luckily i was going slow enough not to cause any major damage and my airbags didnt go off! Bit of a bummer as i was genuinely going slow, just obviosuly not slow enough and unfortunate not to be able to recover it. Dragged the car out with a tractor and i have a smashed drivers skirt, broken bumper and a bent wing, got off quite lightly considering the thing was nearly vertical! Car drives fine and seems straight apart from that, which is a relief.

So this morning i phoned up saab asking for prices on the bust bits, got as far as getting a price for a skirt (420!!!!) and didnt even bother asking about the rest. Secondhand parts seem near impossible to find, let alone in my colour. I have collected some fibreglass and i am now about to wash down the car and get removing the broken bits, get it roughly repaired so its driveable/ half tidy looking and then when i have time, sort it all out nicely and respray it. Really quite gutted as i havent had the car long and its the first time i have had an accident since i passed 4 years ago.

Seeing as its going to be resprayed, im hoping to do something with my splitter to make it look a bit more interesting/aero esque
Old 22nd February 2010

Join Date: Feb 2010                                                
My Saabs: Polar White 2008 Saab 9 2.0T
Garage

Sorry to hear about your accident. (I had no idea parts were so expensive.)

I'm glad no one was hurt and the damage was relatively minor.
Old 22nd February 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2006 Saab 9 2.0T
Garage

Awesome car Paul! Looking forward to see how its gonna come along.
Nice pics too
BSR Stage 3; GS 3" DP; 2.5" BSR Exhaust; Mishimoto FMIC-Custom Piping; Optiflow; 18x8 Black O.Z. Ultralegeras - 235/40-18 NITTO INVO; KONI Yellow; H&R; Goodridge Lines; Motul RBF600; R1 Rotors; 10K 55W; 35% Tint; Roof Spoiler; CF Spoiler;
Old 23rd February 2010
Saab Lunatic

So thats the damage, doesnt look THAT bad, but would require a new bumper and skirt to make it right, which is costly enough when you start getting paint involved too.

New black badges and pearlescent indicators look nice though!
Old 23rd February 2010
Saab Lunatic

Skirt was split all the way down, pretty messy

All cleaned up

Started fibreglassing the bumper, temporary fix just to keep this one going til i can afford another one

Gaps closed alot, looks alright now its fitted

Skirt being taped up so its vaguely held togther...

LOADS of fibreglass went into it and its nearly done! one more hole to fix, but i had to get everything refitted as i needed the car!

Doesnt look like much to most, but its a bit of a heartbreak for me, i have only just got the car and it has put me into a large financial difficulty buying it alone, as well as having to carry out repairs.
Old 23rd February 2010

Join Date: Feb 2010                                                
My Saabs: Polar White 2008 Saab 9 2.0T
Garage

oh... you are making me cringe.

I can't imagine what that would do to me. Get well soon, Vector!
Old 23rd February 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jun 2009                                                
My Saabs: 9 Arc 2.0T 6MT

Looks familiar...

Keep your head up, it sucks but you'll find the parts you need eventually. Found my new bumper (even painted!) on eBay.
Old 23rd February 2010

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 SS Linear

I like the look of the LED's in the door handles, reminds me of BMW ambient lighting.

What is your camera rig? The wide angle (fisheye) pictures are awesome.

Sorry about the crash, I'm sure you'll be up and running in no time.

Bryan
Old 24th February 2010
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigil_Thane View Post
oh... you are making me cringe.

I can't imagine what that would do to me. Get well soon, Vector!
Its extremely depressing how a stupid little crash at about 15-20mph can cause 1ks worth of damage to make the car look like it should again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
Looks familiar...

Keep your head up, it sucks but you'll find the parts you need eventually. Found my new bumper (even painted!) on eBay.
Yeah im gonna keep my eyes peeled for a new bumper as this one just isnt worth repairing fully, its secure now and straight, so at least the cars useable. The skirt im determined to rebuild though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKNJ View Post
I like the look of the LED's in the door handles, reminds me of BMW ambient lighting.

What is your camera rig? The wide angle (fisheye) pictures are awesome.

Sorry about the crash, I'm sure you'll be up and running in no time.

Bryan
My Cameras are:
Sony DSC-W130 compact

Nikon D80 SLR
Nikon SB600 flash
Nikon sb24 flash
Samyang fisheye 8mm f3.5
Sigma 13-35 f2.8
Nikon 50mm

and a load of other old lenses and cameras, but thats my main kit right now

Going to get the skirt off again today, finish fixing the hole, sand it down a bit and get all the cracks grooved, filled with resin and smoothed again
Old 24th February 2010
Saab Lunatic

Got the skirt off and it would seem the resin and glass didnt really bite into the corners enough, and i refitted the skirt when it wasnt totally dry...school boy mistake! Some bits werent attacthed well enough, so i tore off the old fibreglass and started redoing it, looks a whole lot better not, and has way more glass and resin than last time. I also tilted the skirt so the resin got into the corners more, and grooved out the cracks so they bonded better! Fingers crossed that works...
Old 24th February 2010
Saab Lunatic

Just got 2 skirts and a bumper with all the parts fitted on still for 160quid, just got to find a courier then its saving time for a respray!
Old 24th February 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jun 2009                                                
My Saabs: 9 Arc 2.0T 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulOliver View Post
Just got 2 skirts and a bumper with all the parts fitted on still for 160quid, just got to find a courier then its saving time for a respray!
What a steal. My side-skirt isn't in perfect condition (same side... did we run into the same ditch? :P), and I'm still kind of looking around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement