Can I get 200,000 Miles out of 2005-2005 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 7th February 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2006                                                
My Saabs: None anymore
Default Can I get 200,000 Miles out of 2005-2005

I am considering buy a 2004 or 2005 Aero (manual) with about 50,000 miles on it in about 6 months.

We have:
9-7X, Bulletproof, 65,000 miles
9-3 Convertible, 2003, 45,000, Weekend screw around car
9-3 2007, off lease in 6 months.

My wife wants the 9-7x and I have about 12 grand cash to spend on a car. If I can get a well maintained 9-5 do you think I can get at least 150,000 without having to change the engine or tranny? I don't mind swapping alternators, radiators, AC systems, they tend to have a shelf life.

Anyone at between 150,000-200,000 and what are the experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 7th February 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9⁵ 5-speed Stg1 207K Miles

Taking any car to 150-200K miles requires maintenance. No car can survive that much wear and tear without parts failing. Can the engine handle it? Of course, but only with proper maintenance. Take a look around this forum for common parts that will fail over time. If you're taking a car that far you can expect to replace a turbocharger (you may not have to, but expect to), of course normal things like brakes, brake pads, tires, filters (oil, air, cabin, fuel), and other normal wear items. If you glance at the Sticky: FAQs at the top of this forum page these are all common problems that many SAAB 9-5s face, so glance through and expect that you'll be opening some or many of these to fix.

There are two types of car owners out there (and perhaps many in between), but the main are those that drive their car and do almost nothing in maintenance and just expect to buy a new/used car in a few years. And the opposite extreme where someone pays very close attention to their vehicle performing by themselves proper regular maintenance to keep that car on the road as long as possible. My MY00 9-5 has 170K miles and going strong. I have no intentions of getting another car until this thing is either totaled or spontaneously combusts.

One of the fantastic things about this forum is that all the information is here to do it yourself and save a ton of money versus bringing it into a dealer every time something needs repair.

Good Luck

My $0.02 is the 9-5 is a great car, easy to work on, fun to drive, and with only 50K miles it has a lot of life left in it.

www.theSAABguy.com
Old 7th February 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeucr View Post
I am considering buy a 2004 or 2005 Aero (manual) with about 50,000 miles on it in about 6 months.

We have:
9-7X, Bulletproof, 65,000 miles
9-3 Convertible, 2003, 45,000, Weekend screw around car
9-3 2007, off lease in 6 months.

My wife wants the 9-7x and I have about 12 grand cash to spend on a car. If I can get a well maintained 9-5 do you think I can get at least 150,000 without having to change the engine or tranny? I don't mind swapping alternators, radiators, AC systems, they tend to have a shelf life.

Anyone at between 150,000-200,000 and what are the experiences?
I have a MY00 9-5 Manual Aero. It has 151k on the clock and running very strong. There is no timing chain noise, sump was squeaky clean, interior is in good shape, and the exterior isn't too bad. It's pretty evident that the previous owners took very good care of the engine on my car, and that's what I am concerned with. The shocks, struts, and springs were replaced by the PO, along with some other problem areas. The Cabin fan unfortunately went out recently, but I can get that replaced no problem.

If you change the oil very regularly and use synthetic oil, you should be just fine well beyond 200k miles. Also, if you get the Aero, you are much less likely to be replacing that Turbo. The TD-04 are very strong turbos.
Old 7th February 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2002 Viggen Conv.

If you get any T7 car (all 9-5s) you should definately do the PCV update kit and change your oil every 3k with FULL synthetic. Be sure to replace your spark plugs and MAF on time, because these engines do not do well when they run lean. When you get closer to 100k, you will need to replace your crank position sensor.

Stage: Disassembled Engine
Old 7th February 2010

Join Date: Oct 2007                                                

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin.graeff View Post
If you change the oil very regularly and use synthetic oil, you should be just fine well beyond 200k miles. Also, if you get the Aero, you are much less likely to be replacing that Turbo. The TD-04 are very strong turbos.
For those that use synthetic oil...is 10,000 miles between changes a realistic target (2004 and beyond engines...post-sludge era)?
Old 7th February 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2002 Viggen Conv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhowie View Post
For those that use synthetic oil...is 10,000 miles between changes a realistic target (2004 and beyond engines...post-sludge era)?
NO. This is mostly the reason so many Saabs have been victims of sludge. No matter what, DON'T go over 5k without changing, or every 3 months.

Stage: Disassembled Engine
Old 7th February 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2006                                                
My Saabs: None anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGOTaSAABstory4u View Post
NO. This is mostly the reason so many Saabs have been victims of sludge. No matter what, DON'T go over 5k without changing, or every 3 months.
I have a T-7 9-3 and change the synthetic oil every 3,000 miles which is only every 9 months. I am not sold on the idea of the "3 month" oil change interval if you don't hit 3-5,000 miles.
Old 7th February 2010
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2008                                                
My Saabs: 02 9-5, 03 9-5, 04 9-3 aeros ext..

Quote:
Also, if you get the Aero, you are much less likely to be replacing that Turbo. The TD-04 are very strong turbos.
All (not just Aeros) 9-5 2004+ have TD-04 turbos so you shouldn't worry about that
Old 7th February 2010
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Mar 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-7X 5.3i

lol ... such low expectations!

I bought my 2005 9-5 Aero SC from Wulf back in Sept of 08.
Since then, I have put 50,000 miles on it and now have 161,000 miles total.
The car runs better today than it likely did when it left the showroom.
2006 9-7X 5.3i
Old 7th February 2010
Banned

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2011 Saab 9-4X 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhowie View Post
It probably would be fine. I changed synthetic oil in my Saabs every 6 - 7K miles just to be on the safe side. It also depends on your driving conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabScott View Post
I bought my 2005 9-5 Aero SC from Wulf back in Sept of 08.
Since then, I have put 50,000 miles on it and now have 161,000 miles total.
The car runs better today than it likely did when it left the showroom.
Still going strong, eh? 2005 seems to be a good year for the 9-5 Aero. I think I'll have to get myself another one of those fine automobiles. Oh wait, that will be this Saturday!
Old 7th February 2010
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Nov 2005                                                
My Saabs: 06 9-3 aero S/C
Garage

our 2001 9-5 will hit 200K in 100 miles....

We are the 2nd owner and its in damn good shape

the previous had a service file about 2 inches thick... :-)
Old 7th February 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2006                                                
My Saabs: 01 9-5 Wagon (RIP); 05 9-5 Aero (gone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
2005 seems to be a good year for the 9-5 Aero. I think I'll have to get myself another one of those fine automobiles. Oh wait, that will be this Saturday!
What.... What? No pics yet? Driving it back from CA? Whassup with the Merc wagon?
Old 7th February 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2006                                                
My Saabs: 01 9-5 Wagon (RIP); 05 9-5 Aero (gone)

To reply to the original poster, my 2001 LPT wagon seems to be self destructing around 120k miles. No major engine work but once a month major repairs recently....

* Feb - new rad to attempt to fix a #@*#^$ coolant leak. $250
* Feb - P0785, new gear position sensor $300
* Dec 30 (happy new year!) - new water pump - squeaking and wobbly. $100
* Nov - heater hose blew. About $50 to modify for removal of coolant bypass with new hoses.
* Sept - Tires! $850 for new Primacys (well, ok not a repair)
* Aug - Turbo time. $600 ish.
* July - 120k miles major maintenance including new battery.

My theory is the car decided it likes attention. I had 60k km without anything but an oil change - then did the major maintenance and stuff started exploding.

I would like to say that the engine/trans feel like they could go another 120k easily, but I'm starting to be suspicious about the head gasket.

Coming soon - new exhaust (next couple weeks for sure). Rear shocks (can wait for spring).

We are REALLY hard on the car though. Lots of -30 C action, slogging in deep snow, heavy loads. Our daily drive is 40km each way and the car is parked outside without a block heater during the day. No problem starting.

Oil changes are 5000 miles with 0W-40 full synthetic.

Last edited by MacNoob; 7th February 2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 7th February 2010
Banned

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2011 Saab 9-4X 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
What.... What? No pics yet? Driving it back from CA? Whassup with the Merc wagon?
The Merc wagon is fine and runs like new with 153K miles on the odometer. The problem is.. it's not a Saab! I was supposed to pick it up this weekend but the snow in the mid-atlantic region messed up my plans.

Posting pictures or providing details before I sign all the papers is bad luck as I experienced before with another 9-5.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=134125

More details in 6 days. If all goes well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement