Spark Plugs? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Performance Mods & Tuning - ALL ENGINES

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Performance Mods & Tuning - ALL ENGINES Covers GENERAL Tuning & Performance modifications that are *non-engine specific* in nature

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 6th February 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 2.0t JZW Stage 3
Default Spark Plugs?

Best spark plugs for 06 2.0t 93? Looking to add some hp to my car. Are new plugs a good idea, and if yes what kind. Anything else I can do to add some hp? Im saving up for a bsr stage one also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6th February 2010
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Apr 2009                                                
My Saabs: 04 93 arc espresso black

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABBSR View Post
Best spark plugs for 06 2.0t 93? Looking to add some hp to my car. Are new plugs a good idea, and if yes what kind. Anything else I can do to add some hp? Im saving up for a bsr stage one also.
lol dude looking for spark plugs to get you power.... i mean come on but use stock spark plugs they are great plugs they are ngks with the nyeodidum tips or what ever but spark plugs are like 26 bucks and they "power" you experience will last for about 3 days mainly because from what i can tell saabs run hot.
Old 6th February 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2002 Viggen Conv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacotaco View Post
lol dude looking for spark plugs to get you power.... i mean come on but use stock spark plugs they are great plugs they are ngks with the nyeodidum tips or what ever but spark plugs are like 26 bucks and they "power" you experience will last for about 3 days mainly because from what i can tell saabs run hot.
Thats why you would get a different range plug.

Stage: Disassembled Engine
Old 6th February 2010
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGOTaSAABstory4u View Post
Thats why you would get a different range plug.
the ngks that saab sells are the best you could buy and i though of it its iridium tips theres realy nothing better its the most efficent spark plug you can use or atleast to my knowlage. and what do you mean differnt range plug
Old 7th February 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jul 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero SS RICA Tuned

Quote:
the ngks that saab sells are the best you could buy and i though of it its iridium tips theres realy nothing better its the most efficent spark plug you can use or atleast to my knowlage. and what do you mean differnt range plug
Obviously you don't know that the stock plugs are the best considering you have no idea what a heat range is? Damn that was difficult to read! You really need to learn to use periods and commas in your sentances (though that appears to be the least of your problems).

Anyways, I've used Denso's in my car for about half a year now. They run smoother than the stock plugs. I junked the stockers and will stick with the Densos. There is nothing wrong with stock plugs, but you won't yield any power gains unless there was a problem to begin with. Eg. A bad plug will cause misfire and loss of power. A new set of plugs will restore lost power (assuming there was something wrong with the old ones). When you start doing more modifications, you could reach a point where the stock ignition system becomes inadequate. That's when it's time to consider "upgrading". However, our options are very limited.

Bry

Last edited by Autotechnica; 7th February 2010 at 02:19 AM.
Old 7th February 2010
Super Moderator

Join Date: Jul 2008                                                
My Saabs: owns a volvo?

NGK double platinums are what is used stock.

No gains to be had in a car that uses top of line plugs to begin with
Old 7th February 2010
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autotechnica View Post
Obviously you don't know that the stock plugs are the best considering you have no idea what a heat range is? Damn that was difficult to read! You really need to learn to use periods and commas in your sentances (though that appears to be the least of your problems).

Anyways, I've used Denso's in my car for about half a year now. They run smoother than the stock plugs. I junked the stockers and will stick with the Densos. There is nothing wrong with stock plugs, but you won't yield any power gains unless there was a problem to begin with. Eg. A bad plug will cause misfire and loss of power. A new set of plugs will restore lost power (assuming there was something wrong with the old ones). When you start doing more modifications, you could reach a point where the stock ignition system becomes inadequate. That's when it's time to consider "upgrading". However, our options are very limited.

Bry
............ you never said HEAT range you just said different range i mean you could be talking about the gap maybe range of tips. and yes the car could probably go up in heat range because my spark plugs come out whiter than snow but i figured once i get my tune done and everything else i would take care of it but spark plugs arnt worth the 2 hp for 2 days that you could possiably get rember your just wasting atleast 20 to 30 bucks unless its time to change them i dont bother. altho last time i switched my plugs i was spinning in second on dry ground for like 2 days and there was a noticable umph.
Old 7th February 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jul 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero SS RICA Tuned

Quote:
altho last time i switched my plugs i was spinning in second on dry ground for like 2 days and there was a noticable umph.
Wha? You must have hit a patch of water or something. There's no way a set of new plugs (no matter how expensive) would ever do that. You don't gain power with a new set of plugs. Like I said, unless there's something wrong with your ignition system to begin with, it's not the bottleneck of the motor.
Old 7th February 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2002 Viggen Conv.

Quote:
Wha? You must have hit a patch of water or something. There's no way a set of new plugs (no matter how expensive) would ever do that. You don't gain power with a new set of plugs. Like I said, unless there's something wrong with your ignition system to begin with, it's not the bottleneck of the motor.
Agreed. You could probably do that with a 3" downpipe or a tune, but not spark plugs. I'm not saying new plugs don't make a difference, just not to that level.

Stage: Disassembled Engine
Old 7th February 2010
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
jeez man chill out i never said i "gained power" and there might just be something wrong with my ignition system as i said last time i pulled my spark plugs out the were white as snow... means they are burning hot and yes there was a noticable difference when i change my plugs my firends 2 of them noticed it they also noticed when the umph went away and actualy yes you can gain power from spark plugs http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t...ark_plugs.html but fyi thats going from cheap honda stock plugs. what im trying to say is the saab plugs are premium plugs and it would be hard to gain ontop of them
Old 7th February 2010
Vendor

Join Date: Oct 2005                                                
My Saabs: JZWTUNING.COM 10 Sec Saabs

Quote:
Heat range indeed, with something like a tune where higher boost levels are present, a hotter plug can actually run too hot and start to glow and cause pre-ignition and detonation. Since the knock control is read from the spark plugs, it has been shown that cars can actually make more power by running a cooler spark plug that is matched in the heat range for the higher power level and since its cooler, the detonation will not be picked up as soon by the ecu and that will allow the ecu to keep the timing in and make more power.

There are many discussions about it around and the 8's for our older t5 cars do seem to show less knock and this will allow more power because the ecu is not pulling timing, adding fuel and pulling out boost. Some say its the design of the plug, some say its because its a colder plug.

I have tested stock 6's in a car and then put the 7's in it and there was no doubt I got a couple of psi more out of my t5 car and it took longer before the ecu took action with timing pull, etc. So, plugs can make a difference in some cases.

What you need to do is learn how to read your plugs and check the heat range and then determine if a colder plug is warranted. Stock grandma driving is different than spirited mountain driving and this could be one example of why one car may be better suited to a stock heat range plug and one might do better with the next heat range colder plug.

Another example is a tuned car vs a stock car and as you increase power and heat, you also go down a step in plug heat range.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement