To all the Metal loving Saabers... - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Cafe > The Lounge

The Lounge For general discussions

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 27th January 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero VTuner Stg 0
Default To all the Metal loving Saabers...

Went and saw a show tonight in Houston. 2Cents, God Forbid, Shadows Fall and Five Finger Death Punch.

Overall it was a great show, but I have to say, 5FDP was absolutely horrible and a complete travisty.

I dont know if anybody out there is a "purist" metal fan like me....but let me just say: 5FDP's lasers, $20,000 mic stands, choreographed lead singer and hissy fits on stage =/= the heavy metal they proport them selves to be.

1976 Fiat 124 Spyder

2000 Saab 93 SE HOT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27th January 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: Black 9000 Aero, C900 - Sold

Mike

I saw coverage of 5FDP from Download festival last year, having not heard the band, but having IMO a very cool name, I wanted to hear them (they were also between a couple of other bands I wanted to see as well) I too, was disappointed by them... Killswitch Engage were on before them and Devil Driver after on TV the former were superb (I mean they have a guitarist who wears a cape, whats not to like!), the latter doesn't seem to translate well into a live show after hearing the decent production on the albums.

Shadows Fall have been great for years, but I do like the high energy prog sound they have.

Never been much of a God Forbid fan, but they certainly know how to rock out. and I must be getting old, i have never heard of 2Cent - but I imagine, so long as they are at least 48 cents better than the other 'artist' with cent in his name they should be onto a winner!

This, my Saab driving, metal loving friends is Rock and Frakkin' roll!
I decline to grant to SAABCENTRAL.COM a non exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sublicense, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information I submit to any public areas....

Last edited by ferkle; 27th January 2010 at 04:51 AM. Reason: or it would be if I knew the difference between open and closed square brackets
Old 27th January 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2008                                                
My Saabs: 91 900 turbo resto.
Garage

sounds cool man. i love shows. im more into screamo/post-hardcore stuff thou. lol.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/389851...bo-cd-sedan-4d
Old 27th January 2010
Saab Lunatic

fna right, Adam D! I saw Killswitch twice and everytime that guy cracks me up. I love the metal that comes out of Mass...Shadows Fall, KsE, old All that Remains

Id never seen God Forbid before, or even listened to them but they were at least real....2Cents is a band from LA, pretty small but I saw them once in Fargo and Ive got alot of respect for them, mainly because they dont buy into all the sellout mentality.

The part that really bugs me about 5FDP is that I never heard of these tools until a year ago, and now they're headlining a tour with longtime metal vets like Shadows Fall as support?!

If you're a metal band, and you're up on stage going on about your $20,000 dollar mic stand it seems you're more about money and "oh hey look how much money we make" it says to me you're not really making music for the right reasons.

Two more things on my rant about these guys: First -The lead singer threw a hissy fit on stage about how he wanted more security gaurds on the pit fence, and that he doesn't deal with poor attitudes from the security gaurds. I guess he wanted to pull someone up on stage with him, and the security gaurd told him no. He actually stopped playing and said he wasnt going to start again until more security gaurds were placed up front. So he sits down, drinks a beer and makes us wait 15 mins til more are brought up. All the while the mood dies in the crowd, some guy starts heckling him yelling "SING YOU MONKEY!!!SING THE F'IN SONG!!! SING MONKEY!!!"

He finally starts singing again and you see him down by the fence trying to pull people on stage and the gaurds wont let him, and hes getting more pissed...WTF man?! you asked for more security gaurds, so wheres your problem??

BTW, the lead singer of Shadows Fall totally crowd surfed during the set and the gaurds had no problem at all with it

Secondly - The subject matter the guy sings about seems more aimed to sell records than really anything else. All the songs involve him blaming "you" for something and taking control back from "you". just seems tailor made for some sad teenager who's mad at his parents. Some of the corniest lines ever! "In the end, we're all just chalk lines on the pavement, drawn just to be washed away" ??!?! WHAT IS THAT?!

1976 Fiat 124 Spyder

2000 Saab 93 SE HOT
Old 27th January 2010
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachc View Post
sounds cool man. i love shows. im more into screamo/post-hardcore stuff thou. lol.
Im all about any kind of music that you dont hear on a radio, that you dont see some poser be like "OMG DUDE, Im so hardcore I loooove Disturbed" - Correction: I still dont like rap or country music even if its not on a radio

I even listen the sappy stuff like Bayside, the exprimental stuff like Coheed and Cambria, the weird folk stuff like Korpiklaani, Classic punk like Misfits, new punk like NFG and Alk Trio....just keep me away from Seether, Hinder and any other fake sellout music!

1976 Fiat 124 Spyder

2000 Saab 93 SE HOT
Old 27th January 2010
#1 Super Guy!

Join Date: Nov 2007                                                
My Saabs: 93 C900T vert, 95 9K Stg3+, 96 GOOSE

Yea for me Disturbed and 5FDP are on the same level. They have no talent, just an amp on overdrive and bar chords. I love Killswitch and I too LOVE Adam D, he's one hell of a guitarist. Howard is dirty live, and I've seen God Forbid live too, and I thought they were really good. And I LOVE Bayside, a band I played with did a cover of Winter, went over great!

BTW, if you like music that isn't on the radio (yet ) heres my band: http://www.myspace.com/thebandmadelyne
I'm the bass player and I do screams although I don't think any of the songs on our space have me screaming. If you like the stuff let me know I have CD's available!

Sorry to change the subject, on with the metal!

Tom =]
Old 27th January 2010
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseratiMike View Post
If you're a metal band, and you're up on stage going on about your $20,000 dollar mic stand it seems you're more about money and "oh hey look how much money we make" it says to me you're not really making music for the right reasons.
Or as I call it (to wind my wife up) Jonathan Davis syndrome - i never did like nu-metal! Fair enough make some money from the hard slog, like Metallica did in the early days, playing 300 shows in a year etc, but like you say, these guys are out of nowhere, and aren't that good, so I suspect that the stand and everything else came out of their recording advance or a tour advance and its not owned by him yet!

Quote:
Two more things on my rant about these guys: First -The lead singer threw a hissy fit on stage about how he wanted more security gaurds on the pit fence, and that he doesn't deal with poor attitudes from the security gaurds. I guess he wanted to pull someone up on stage with him, and the security gaurd told him no. He actually stopped playing and said he wasnt going to start again until more security gaurds were placed up front. So he sits down, drinks a beer and makes us wait 15 mins til more are brought up. All the while the mood dies in the crowd, some guy starts heckling him yelling "SING YOU MONKEY!!!SING THE F'IN SONG!!! SING MONKEY!!!"

He finally starts singing again and you see him down by the fence trying to pull people on stage and the gaurds wont let him, and hes getting more pissed...WTF man?! you asked for more security gaurds, so wheres your problem??

Secondly - The subject matter the guy sings about seems more aimed to sell records than really anything else. All the songs involve him blaming "you" for something and taking control back from "you". just seems tailor made for some sad teenager who's mad at his parents. Some of the corniest lines ever! "In the end, we're all just chalk lines on the pavement, drawn just to be washed away" ??!?! WHAT IS THAT?!
ya, I'll be avoiding them then... its not like the good old days where I have seen Dino Cazeres (sp) challenge the crowd of 10000 to a mudfight, get pelted with mud and start flinging back, or Johnny Clayden tell security to take a break so his friends can join him on stage - and when questioned who his friends were, looked over and said 'these guys' (he can throw a little dude pretty far as well, i was on the barrier so one of the first up!) or even Dave Grohl having some crowd surfer come up and break his guitar - not intentionally... Grohl told security to figure out who it was and bring the guy to him, when they did, the band stopped playing and grohl immediately punched him in the head, told him that breaking a guys guitar wasnt cool, and would he like to join them on the next tune... obviously the guy did, and borrowed another guitar to play along!

I really miss the good old days.... haven't been to a 'good' gig in years, other than local talent and mates gigs.

Oh which reminds me, some very good friends of mine are working hard to get some recognition and a record deal, and have uploaded a few tracks to roadrunners' A&R site... they are what I would describe as melodic or groove metal, they don't take themselves seriously at all, they are good musicians, and off stage you wouldn't believe they are the same people - they live for performing and come alive once Jay has counted them in. Anyway, they are called You Will Fail, have a listen and see what you think (if Roadrunner's site ever decides to work)

http://signmeto.roadrunnerrecords.co...2-235f7946aa85
I decline to grant to SAABCENTRAL.COM a non exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sublicense, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information I submit to any public areas....
Old 27th January 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2001                                                
My Saabs: 2002 BMW 540i/6MT

The Sword > all other Metal being made right now.

Raw and real.
Old 27th January 2010
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF. View Post

Raw and real.
I hadn't heard of them until now, but they are pretty good, totally riff-tastic. Very Sabbathy/old school, I like it, possibly not quite greater than all other metal being made right now, but very listenable, and undeniably groovy.
Old 27th January 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2004                                                
My Saabs: wrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF. View Post

Raw and real.
"freya" was on guitar hero. took forever to beat.
Old 27th January 2010
Saab Lunatic

Garage

Quote:
Im all about any kind of music that you dont hear on a radio, that you dont see some poser be like "OMG DUDE, Im so hardcore I loooove Disturbed" - Correction: I still dont like rap or country music even if its not on a radio

I even listen the sappy stuff like Bayside, the exprimental stuff like Coheed and Cambria, the weird folk stuff like Korpiklaani, Classic punk like Misfits, new punk like NFG and Alk Trio....just keep me away from Seether, Hinder and any other fake sellout music!

yah i dont like disturbed. lol. my favorite band currently is we came as romans. =)

but yeah pretty much bands like i see stars, attack attack, motionless in white, oceana, of machines. etc etc is what im intoo.

Old 27th January 2010
Saab Lunatic

The first thing I thought of when I saw that lame mic stand was "Korn", they are strikingly similar. I hate it when a band has a "theme"...

For 5FDP it was Bullets circling the bass drums, 4 Ma Deuce machine guns on stands next to the drum kit, stupid 5DFP jerseys the guitarrists wore..(honestly?! what band wears their own t-shirts on stage?!), the dumb mic stand in which the mic holder was a pistol, and the microphone had brass knuckles molded to it, and the lead singer wearing a tac vest, over a fake kevlar vest.

here is the mic stand

Korn's mic stand

Tom: Your bands not half bad...a little mellow for the majority of the listening I do, but keep it up.

Ferkle: I couldn't get that link to come up with any music, just a bio on the band

Zach: I saw Motionless in White last year with My Hero is Me and Of Machines in Hickory NC, it was a good show. I was really bummed that MHIM disbanded almost 2 months later. At least I got to see one of their last shows

1976 Fiat 124 Spyder

2000 Saab 93 SE HOT

Last edited by MaseratiMike; 27th January 2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 27th January 2010
Saab Lunatic

Garage

^^, i am jealous! ha. motionless in white is soo sick. i hope to see of machines one day.

i have seen i see stars and attack attack and alesana thou. that was a fun show for sure.

hopefully gonna see them again in march in baltimore. =)

Old 28th January 2010
Saab Lunatic

Quote:

Ferkle: I couldn't get that link to come up with any music, just a bio on the band
Yeah, RR's site was messing about, try this one, I think they recreated the thing. http://signmeto.roadrunnerrecords.co...0-f5c07f46d06a
Old 28th January 2010

Join Date: Jan 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 2.0T

Metal is okay, but I gotta go for some:

/hijack

BTW, my girlfriend is obsessed with Disturbed and I have no idea why.
Old 28th January 2010
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2002                                                
My Saabs: 88 900 Aero (Silver Sled), 02 9-3 Aero

2cents played? What happened to the other 48cents... did they have the night off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement