Stability Control Failure light - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 25th January 2010

Join Date: Dec 2009                                                
My Saabs: Saab 9-3 2.0T
Default Stability Control Failure light

Upon getting my tires changed, my SID kept popping up the STABILITY CONTROL FAILURE sign. I cleared it out, but it kept appearing on a daily basis. Took it to the dealership and they said I need to replace the CIM module, which with labor will cost quite the pretty penny.

Anybody know more about this? Should I take it to another dealership or just keep pressing clear till something else goes wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26th January 2010

Join Date: Mar 2009                                                
My Saabs: 04 Saab 9-3 Linear

Same thing happened to me bro. After not using the car for 2 weeks, when i started using it... it pops that message. I went to my licensed Saab Mecahnic and same thing, replaced the steering angle sensor and the steering angle sensor is part of the CIM... Column Integrated Module, so it has to be replaced as a whole. The reason for that is in the techII software, the recommended fix for the stability control failure with a code that starts with E (not sure about the next letter) is to replace the CIM. He cleared mine about 2 times and certainly hasn't happen ever since... Just in case someone here had the same problem or have tried fixing the problem... it wouldn't hurt to share the story.

FYI... from what was said by the mecahnic.. changing the CIM means having new fob keys too...
Old 26th January 2010
Saabista

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 03 SE 5 Spd

New keys come with the CIM, it's about a $900 fix if your OOW, I've had it done under Warranty.
Old 26th January 2010

Yeah that's true... but last september when I had this problem.. CIM cost 680 USD or if looking for a used one that needs to be divorced via techII from the donor.. about 300 USD plus 60 USD each for fob keys.
Old 26th January 2010

Join Date: Dec 2009                                                
My Saabs: Currently None

Did you change tire sizes? What year is your car?
Old 27th January 2010
Saabista

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZeke View Post
Did you change tire sizes? What year is your car?
People change tire sizes all the time when they go to Winter tires.... that will not trip the stability control warning. More than like;y it's a sensor.
Old 27th January 2010

I agree... i have been upsizing and downsizing my rim and tires for the last 2 years and so far it didnt trip the Stability Control Failure Warning.. the sensor i guess but not the whole system.

JonV, my mechanic told me that it could be a known issue for the 2003 to 2004 9-3 like a glitch in their T8 system or something like that, whether this is possible or not.. i don't know, I'm just sharing what he said.
Old 27th January 2010
Saabista

Well there's a bunch of 03 owners in here and I don't think it was ever what you call a known issue?
Old 3rd September 2010

Join Date: Sep 2010                                                
My Saabs: 05 9.3 arc
Default Stability Control Failure

Went the light went on I took it to the a Saab dealer and they said it would cost about a grand to replace some module. Is there a cheaper route to go? Can i disconnect the thing so the light doesn't bug me . Now i just hit clear when i start it up. It used to just come on when I turned left but now it comes on every time. I can live without stability control seeing as I have never had it on any other car It's an 05 9.3 ARC with about 68K. Otherwise I really like the car. Any input is appreciated.
Old 3rd September 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2008                                                
My Saabs: Was 2004 9-3.

your only options are to get it fixed or continue to hit the clear button(the system always defaults back to on when the car is restarted)... even if it was a possibility to disable I highly doubt you could find any shop that would do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
Went the light went on I took it to the a Saab dealer and they said it would cost about a grand to replace some module. Is there a cheaper route to go? Can i disconnect the thing so the light doesn't bug me . Now i just hit clear when i start it up. It used to just come on when I turned left but now it comes on every time. I can live without stability control seeing as I have never had it on any other car It's an 05 9.3 ARC with about 68K. Otherwise I really like the car. Any input is appreciated.
Old 7th September 2010

Join Date: Apr 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 2.0T Vector

I've had this message come up 5 times in the last month.

All 5 times were when starting from parked outside my friend's house on a hill with a bend at the bottom of the hill, and as I hit that bend, the light pops up. Sometimes it stays there for 2 minutes and then disappears, other times it's stayed for a few restarts but has eventually gone.

It's only ever happened on that same bit of road, so I don't know if it's a problem or just a freaky coincidence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement