GM Major Guard - Sway Bar Bushing ? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 20th January 2010

Join Date: Feb 2008                                                
Question GM Major Guard - Sway Bar Bushing ?

I have been noticing the squeaking / crunching sound in the suspension, particularly what I believe is the front right side. I am deaf in my left ear and partially deaf in my right so I have a hard time telling direction of sound.

Yes my issue is noticeably worst on cold days. I hate pulling out my drive way and or going over speed bumps as it just sounds horrible.

I have the GM Major Guard protection plan that says it covers "suspension front/rear" and "steering system" and "seals and gaskets".

From what I have read on the forums I think this noise is the "sway bar bushings"? Is that normally what it is? I don't really know what a sway bar does, but when I hear this sound and that it happens over bumps I would think shock or something? I know little about cars though.

Oh and this is a 2005 9-3 Linear that I am speaking of.

The reason for reaching out on the forum is I have put off bringing the car in for too long, due to having to go out of town to do it (nearest Saab dealer) and missing work and what not. I have decided to go and at least speak to them tomorrow about my issues and see what they say. Whats covered and time to repair and so on.

Just want to check with others on whether there is a right or wrong way to approach them about these issues and hoping that this is covered under the protection plan.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20th January 2010

Join Date: Jan 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 2.0T Smoke Beige Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rkf1br View Post
I have been noticing the squeaking / crunching sound in the suspension, particularly what I believe is the front right side. I am deaf in my left ear and partially deaf in my right so I have a hard time telling direction of sound.

Yes my issue is noticeably worst on cold days. I hate pulling out my drive way and or going over speed bumps as it just sounds horrible.

I have the GM Major Guard protection plan that says it covers "suspension front/rear" and "steering system" and "seals and gaskets".

From what I have read on the forums I think this noise is the "sway bar bushings"? Is that normally what it is? I don't really know what a sway bar does, but when I hear this sound and that it happens over bumps I would think shock or something? I know little about cars though.

Oh and this is a 2005 9-3 Linear that I am speaking of.

The reason for reaching out on the forum is I have put off bringing the car in for too long, due to having to go out of town to do it (nearest Saab dealer) and missing work and what not. I have decided to go and at least speak to them tomorrow about my issues and see what they say. Whats covered and time to repair and so on.

Just want to check with others on whether there is a right or wrong way to approach them about these issues and hoping that this is covered under the protection plan.

Thanks!
I have the Major Guard as well. And it did cover the sway bar links. Although, that did not fix the problem. Still rattles like crazy over bumps (especially in cold weather). Although, I'll be interested to hear if others with this warranty had any issues with it covering all suspension parts. From my limited research, the rattle could be coming from several areas in the suspension. Here is a post that might help, although there are 100's of threads concerning rattles + noises

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...=rattle+thrust
Old 21st January 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2009                                                
My Saabs: TD04 swapped stg4 9-3SS

ok this may be a stretch, but i would like both of you to go outside to your car and open the hood, then attempt to rattle the antifreeze overflow tank. i thing this may be the rattle ill try to fix it tomorrow. btw i have the same problem
Old 22nd January 2010

Join Date: Feb 2008                                                

Brought it in yesterday and they said my sway bar bushings needed to be lubricated, no surprise there. However they said it was not covered under the warranty that lubricating was general maintenance and it would cost about $190 to lubricate the sway bar bushings.

I left not very happy. And not sure what I will do yet.

They said since it wasn't technically "broken" it didn't fall under the Major Guard coverage. Said that it would require a new part under major guard so that they could send an old part back. Everything they do under the major guard coverage requires the broken part to be returned.

I left thinking, "how do I break a sway bar bushing"? :-( Not too happy about it all.

Guess I need to figure out what the sway bar is and if I think I can lubricate these bushings myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement