9-5 thermostat chang need instuctions - SaabCentral Forums
*
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum


Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 6th January 2010
2000saab95's Avatar
2000saab95 2000saab95 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
Location: Reading PA
My Saabs: 2000 Saab 9-5 Aero
Posts: 179
Default 9-5 thermostat chang need instuctions

NEed INstruction I have a 2000 9-5 aero that I need a thermostat change walk thru is there any around .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 6th January 2010
helmetvonthrob helmetvonthrob is offline
Saab Crazy
 
Join Date: Mar 2009                                                
Location: Hampshire, UK (the 1st one)
My Saabs: = 2003 Aero x2 =
Posts: 610
Default

Check the FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 7th January 2010
2000saab95's Avatar
2000saab95 2000saab95 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
Location: Reading PA
My Saabs: 2000 Saab 9-5 Aero
Posts: 179
Default faq not working

faq isnt working
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 7th January 2010
MacNoob's Avatar
MacNoob MacNoob is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2006                                                
Location: chilly La Salle, MB.
My Saabs: 01 9-5 Wagon (RIP); 05 9-5 Aero (gone)
Posts: 4,991
Default

working fine - here is the direct link

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...71#post1531771
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 7th January 2010
ClemsonScout's Avatar
ClemsonScout ClemsonScout is offline
SaabNut!
 
Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
Location: Charlotte, NC
My Saabs: '02 9-5 Aero 5-speed
Posts: 289
Default

http://www.twinsaabs.com/9-5_repair/...ps=2&nointro=1

Here's another one.

I went with a Super Stant and haven't had a problem. Most others uses a Whaler brand IIRC, but a few have had them die.
__________________
Robby

2002 Saab 9-5 Aero, 5-speed, Steel Grey, Remus exhaust, 2004/2005 Front end.

1976 International Scout II 345, 4-speed, 32" BFG 67K original, fire orange



Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 7th January 2010
Chris 9-5's Avatar
Chris 9-5 Chris 9-5 is offline
Saab Sage!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
Location: SaabWorld
My Saabs: .
Posts: 22,211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000saab95 View Post
faq isnt working
__________________
I decline to grant to SAABCENTRAL.COM a non exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sublicense, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information I submit to any public areas....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 7th January 2010
hacker-pschorr hacker-pschorr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
Location: Frozen Tundra of Wisconsin
My Saabs: 1999 9-5
Posts: 195
Default

Nice timing, changing mine on Saturday. All of a sudden the temp gauge doesn't go past 1/4 and the heat out of the vent is lukewarm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 11th January 2010
2000saab95's Avatar
2000saab95 2000saab95 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
Location: Reading PA
My Saabs: 2000 Saab 9-5 Aero
Posts: 179
Default 2.0 and 2.3

will it be the same for the 2.3 as the 2.0. I see in the pictures of the best one that it says 2.0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 11th January 2010
rcase13 rcase13 is offline
SaabNut!
 
Join Date: Aug 2005                                                
Location: Charlotte , NC USA
My Saabs: 2003 9-5 SportWagon Linear
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker-pschorr View Post
Nice timing, changing mine on Saturday. All of a sudden the temp gauge doesn't go past 1/4 and the heat out of the vent is lukewarm.
Must be that time of year for these to fail. I have the same problem. I just had the coolant flushed 9000 miles ago. Any reason I can't drain just a little to change the t-stat and put it back in when done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 11th January 2010
mt.aero's Avatar
mt.aero mt.aero is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
Location: Steamboat Springs, CO
My Saabs: '02 9 Aero, '89 900S
Posts: 2,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000saab95 View Post
will it be the same for the 2.3 as the 2.0. I see in the pictures of the best one that it says 2.0
Same deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcase13 View Post
Must be that time of year for these to fail. I have the same problem. I just had the coolant flushed 9000 miles ago. Any reason I can't drain just a little to change the t-stat and put it back in when done?
Its not necessarily the time of year that they fail, but you finally notice its failed since it so cold out. And you can def just drain some out and reuse it. Just make sure you are using a nice clean pan to drain the coolant into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 11th January 2010
2000saab95's Avatar
2000saab95 2000saab95 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
Location: Reading PA
My Saabs: 2000 Saab 9-5 Aero
Posts: 179
Default thermo

This one says nothing of drainging coolant that is why i was wondering if it was different for the 2.0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 11th January 2010
rcase13 rcase13 is offline
SaabNut!
 
Join Date: Aug 2005                                                
Location: Charlotte , NC USA
My Saabs: 2003 9-5 SportWagon Linear
Posts: 258
Default

looking at the WIS instructions you will need to drain some of the fluid or you are going to get wet!

Also the WIS states to use Vasoline on the rubber o-ring for the thermostat. Is this correct? I use the regular household Vasoline for this? Funny I always thought Vasoline was bad for rubber. I guess i was wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 11th January 2010
mt.aero's Avatar
mt.aero mt.aero is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
Location: Steamboat Springs, CO
My Saabs: '02 9 Aero, '89 900S
Posts: 2,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcase13 View Post
looking at the WIS instructions you will need to drain some of the fluid or you are going to get wet!

Also the WIS states to use Vasoline on the rubber o-ring for the thermostat. Is this correct? I use the regular household Vasoline for this? Funny I always thought Vasoline was bad for rubber. I guess i was wrong?
Yah, thats odd they say to use vasoline. I was also under the impression that vasoline was bad for rubber. (stuff you learn in sex-ed class ) Personally, I use a synthetic grease on my o-rings. (that sounds dirty now that I mentioned sex-ed class )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 11th January 2010
rcase13 rcase13 is offline
SaabNut!
 
Join Date: Aug 2005                                                
Location: Charlotte , NC USA
My Saabs: 2003 9-5 SportWagon Linear
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt.aero View Post
Yah, thats odd they say to use vasoline. I was also under the impression that vasoline was bad for rubber. (stuff you learn in sex-ed class ) Personally, I use a synthetic grease on my o-rings. (that sounds dirty now that I mentioned sex-ed class )
Oh god that is just too funny. I think that is where I recall hearing that also... i was getting my rubbers confused... it's not auto rubber it's rubbers of the latex variety that is bad. So we are propably good to use it on the automotive rubber... LOL well you can't say I didn't retain some of what I learned in high school!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 11th January 2010
hacker-pschorr hacker-pschorr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
Location: Frozen Tundra of Wisconsin
My Saabs: 1999 9-5
Posts: 195
Default

I have one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7400-F.../dp/B000IHI80O

I sucked all the fluid out of the reservoir and the lower hose that goes to the engine. While it was sucking, I squeezed the upper hose until it sounded like there was no more fluid in that line. After doing this, I lost almost no coolant after disconnecting the upper hose and popping the thermostat off.

Trying to burp an engine with an ambient temp of 9 isn't easy. I drove the car around for quite a while, then idled in the garage for what seamed like an eternity. The temp gauge never went above half and the fans never came on once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #16  
Old 11th January 2010
mt.aero's Avatar
mt.aero mt.aero is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
Location: Steamboat Springs, CO
My Saabs: '02 9 Aero, '89 900S
Posts: 2,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker-pschorr View Post
Trying to burp an engine with an ambient temp of 9 isn't easy. I drove the car around for quite a while, then idled in the garage for what seamed like an eternity. The temp gauge never went above half and the fans never came on once.

Hmmmm, it sounds like the thermostat might be jammed open. I cant think of what else would cause this since air in the system would likely result in overheating. Its possible you got a faulty unit or something came loose in the system and got stuck in the stat. I would take it out and put it in a pot of water on the stove with a thermometer to record what temp it opens at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 11th January 2010
helmetvonthrob helmetvonthrob is offline
Saab Crazy
 
Join Date: Mar 2009                                                
Location: Hampshire, UK (the 1st one)
My Saabs: = 2003 Aero x2 =
Posts: 610
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker-pschorr View Post
Interesting that this item apparently sells along with a Wii Fit Resort!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 11th January 2010
hacker-pschorr hacker-pschorr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
Location: Frozen Tundra of Wisconsin
My Saabs: 1999 9-5
Posts: 195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt.aero View Post
Hmmmm, it sounds like the thermostat might be jammed open. I cant think of what else would cause this since air in the system would likely result in overheating. Its possible you got a faulty unit or something came loose in the system and got stuck in the stat. I would take it out and put it in a pot of water on the stove with a thermometer to record what temp it opens at.
Always test before installation, problem is the thermometer I could find maxed out at 190 (could not find the digital). The new thermostat did not start to open until just past 190. The old one was wide open by then, started to open around 160!!

This is not abnormal in this weather. My Audi can idle forever before the fans kick on. I'm not one that normally idles to warm up, but some issues in the past with my Audi I've been somewhat forced to observe this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 11th January 2010
mt.aero's Avatar
mt.aero mt.aero is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
Location: Steamboat Springs, CO
My Saabs: '02 9 Aero, '89 900S
Posts: 2,036
Default

Assuming you have the 89C 'stat it sounds like its operating properly. Thats what I have and no problems getting to normal operating temp and full heat in a matter of minutes even in the -20F temps we have been having. I may have been confused by your other post though...... the temp gauge does make it half way?

Last edited by mt.aero; 11th January 2010 at 06:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 11th January 2010
hacker-pschorr hacker-pschorr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
Location: Frozen Tundra of Wisconsin
My Saabs: 1999 9-5
Posts: 195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt.aero View Post
Assuming you have the 89C 'stat it sounds like its operating properly. Thats what I have and no problems getting to normal operating temp and full heat in a matter of minutes even in the -20F temps we have been having. I may have been confused by your other post though...... the temp gauge does make it half way?
Yes, climbs quite fast (like yours) to the "9 o'clock" position half way between it's resting position and critical mass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SaabCentral Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:20 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

top of page | sitemap | email us



copyright © 2003 - 2011 saabcentral.com, All rights reserved http://www.whiter.co.uk - valid xhtml - valid css
SaabCentral is an independently run website and is not affiliated in any way to Saab Automobile AB.


Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.