Where is the thermostat in a v6 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 5th January 2010

Join Date: Jul 2004                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-5 Arc
Default Where is the thermostat in a v6

I have a 2003 Arc and need to replace the temp sensor and thermostat and was wondering where to find them. I have searched the site and everything seems to relate to the 4 cyl.

Thanks, David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5th January 2010

Join Date: Jan 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5 SE 6cyl 3.0, 2001 9-5 4cyl

I replaced my thermostat on my 2001 V6 SE several months back. It was not easy and I'm not sure if the 03 model is the same but it is located on the engine block next to the oil cooler. Please note that the thermostat is mounted to the metal tube and is replaced with the tube.
I have attached a picture from the EPC that might help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thermostat.jpg
Views:	866
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	15768  
Old 5th January 2010

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: 02 9-5 ARC 3.0L V6

3.0L Engine
  1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
  2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  3. Remove the expansion tank cap.
  4. Raise the car and remove lower front cover.
  5. Drain and recycle the engine coolant.
  6. Lower the car to the floor. Remove upper engine cover.
  7. Remove the upper intake manifold. Remove the middle intake manifold. Remove the lower intake manifold. Refer to Intake Manifold in this section.

Fig. Removing mass air flow sensor (10), turbo intake pipe (11), the dipstick (12) and the pipe (12) going to the thermostat

8. Remove the mass air flow sensor and hose.
  9. Detach the turbo's intake pipe and move it towards the charge air cooler. Also detach the turbo bypass pipe and the connection to the crankcase breather pipe.
  10. Remove the dipstick and the pipe going to the thermostat.
  11. Remove the thermostat and thermostat housing.

To install:
  1. Check and clean the sealing surfaces.
  2. Install a new O-ring to the thermostat and its connecting pipe. Coat the O-ring with a little non-acidic vaseline to facilitate assembly.
  3. Install the thermostat and its connecting pipe. Tighten to: 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
  4. Install the dipstick.
  5. Install the turbo intake pipe. Also fit the turbo bypass pipe and the crankcase breather pipe connection. Tighten the following to specification:

Turbo/intake pipe, V-clamp: 2 ft. lbs. (3 Nm)

Bypass pipe/intake pipe, bolt: 6 ft. lbs. (8 Nm)

Bypass pipe, hose clip: 6 ft. lbs. (8 Nm)

Crankcase breather pipe: 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm)

6. Install the mass air flow sensor and hose.
  7. Install the intake manifolds. Check the O-ring and coat it with non-acidic vaseline. Refer to Intake Manifold in this section.
  8. Fill with coolant. Do not forget to close the drain plug on the radiator first.
  9. Vent the cooling system as follows:

Fill the system to the MAX level, close the expansion tank filler cap, start the engine and warm it up at varying speeds until the radiator fan starts. Open the expansion tank filler cap and fill up again to the MAX level. Close the cap and run the engine at varying throttle openings until the radiator fan has started three more times. Switch off the engine and top up as necessary to the MAX level.

10. Raise the car. Check for any leakage. Fit the lower front cover.
  11. Lower the car to the floor. Install the upper engine cover.

This was taken from the Autozone.com web page. If you look for a thermostat on there, it will show thermostats, however they will not work for your car. You need a specific saab thermostat as it is mounted inside the metal tube/housing itself. The directions above were taken from the "vehicle repair guide" found on autozone.com when searching for parts.

Aaron
Old 6th January 2010

Join Date: Jul 2004                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-5 Arc

Thanks to you both. Looks like a PITA but it's not my first Saab The 4cyl engines are so much easier to work on. I guess I need to find a day where I can devote some time to this. It's not as easy as I'd hoped. Take care.
Old 6th January 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2007                                                
My Saabs: '01 & '03 9⁵ 3.0t, '04 9 Arc 2.0T

It's really not that difficult to do at all. Don't get discouraged by the steps.
Old 6th January 2010

Join Date: Jul 2009                                                
My Saabs: 9-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxSaabGuy View Post
I replaced my thermostat on my 2001 V6 SE several months back. It was not easy and I'm not sure if the 03 model is the same but it is located on the engine block next to the oil cooler. Please note that the thermostat is mounted to the metal tube and is replaced with the tube.
I have attached a picture from the EPC that might help.
replaced "with" the tube? that confuses me a bit.

so far I have picked up a thermostat...

I need a intake manifold gasket(s), right? how many? (upper, lower etc. seems there are numerous. some lowers with two ports where you need three of them while others have three where you need two of those)

on the gaskets... anybody know for sure whether a caddy cts v6 set will work? since many other parts are interchangeable I'm thinking "perhaps". (like the coolant bypass valve) even though I live in an area of millions it seems there are few saab 9-5 v6 parts available yet caddy v6 is fairly easy. (napa: well, we have a gasket in illinois and will take 5 days... for 80 some dollars plus shipping, oh sure a caddy is in stock and fifty)

MUCH thanks to all that have posted the pics and directions, along that line anybody that has actually undertaken the task recall exactly what parts they picked up etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement