RSS News Feed Saab owners gather in wintery Detroit, urge GM to sell brand - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Cafe > SAAB Corporate News

SAAB Corporate News For corporate news strictly about SAAB & NEVS (National Electric Vehicle Sweden AB)

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 5th January 2010
SaabCentral News Bot

Join Date: Apr 2009                                                
My Saabs: Everything Saab!
Default Saab owners gather in wintery Detroit, urge GM to sell brand

Filed under: Etc., Saab

Sell Saab Rally in Detroit - Click above for high-res gallery

Popular wisdom would hold that about the only people willing to show up in sub-zero, slate-gray Detroit for a last-minute rally to advocate for Saab's sale would be stereotypical brand diehards - grizzled old-timers with air-cooled two-strokes and elderly three-doors, not folks piloting General Motors-era models. Interestingly, those in attendance at today's "Sell Saab/Save Saab" demonstration ranged broadly in age from their early twenties on through retirement age, and with the exception of a couple of 1980s 900 models, most of the Saabs were remarkably contemporary (although a good portion of those who showed up professed to owning numerous classic examples at home).

To be fair, we turned up to the meeting point in the shadow of GM's Renaissance Center headquarters this afternoon not expecting a big turnout of either cars or press, as the event was organized just a couple of days earlier by Ryan Enge of - and the weather wasn't exactly hospitable, either. As it turns out, we were pleasantly surprised to see a rather small but vibrant group of both. Over a couple of hours, we counted around 50 demonstrators in about 30 Saabs (full disclosure: one of which was AB's own 2001 9-3 Viggen convertible), with devotees venturing in from as far away as Maine, Iowa and Wisconsin, along with plenty of print, radio and television media - both local and international - in attendance. As a demonstration for a brand, the atmosphere was more one of conviviality than consternation and bitterness, a gathering of first-time friends more than an acrimonious protest.

Make the jump for more of the story and check out our high-res gallery below.

Gallery: Sell Saab Rally in Detroit

Photos by Chris Paukert/Copyright (C)2009 Weblogs, Inc.Continue reading Saab owners gather in wintery Detroit, urge GM to sell brand

Saab owners gather in wintery Detroit, urge GM to sell brand originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 05 Jan 2010 19:59:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5th January 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD
Garage

I was there.
Old 5th January 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2003                                                
My Saabs: '08 9-3 Combi 2.0T 6-sp

That's pretty awesome!!

This event got covered really well, too! Some major news outlets picked up this story, including Reuters, USA Today, and NY Times. That's awesome. I'm sure it will show up on CNN, too, eventually.
Old 6th January 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2008                                                
My Saabs: Until 7/2010 9-3AERO SS,2.0T(previous)
Cool

Very nice going to Ryan, and everyone who actually showed. I feel bad that I did not make it.
Your Texas Realtor since1995.Sorry, I crossed to the Bavarian dark sideMY FACEBOOK PAGE WITH/SAAB TURBO LIFE GALLERY. JET BLACK/TAN DAKOTA '11 335i N55 Twin Power/ZFSteptronic/SPORT/PREMIUM/NAVIGATION/DINAN 355HP/401LBFT, Previous: E92 328i 6MT SPORT/PREMIUM, '08 9-3Aero SS, '07 9-3 2.0T Premium,'06 COBB STAGE III WRX - GEARBOX KEPT BREAKING,etc.
Old 6th January 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2008                                                
My Saabs: 1999 Saab 9-3

Wish I could have been there too! Is there something we can do on a home level for those of us not living by Detroit, to show our support? I don't know if we could hold rallies at or near Saab dealers, state capitals or something, for the Jan. 7 deadline? Or is it a little late in getting more media coverage? I feel bummed I can't really do anything more than sit back and wait...
Old 6th January 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2008                                                
My Saabs: Until 7/2010 9-3AERO SS,2.0T(previous)
Cool Another press coverage SAVE SAAB opportunity

I think that the opening day/ or even the press day(if there is one) at the Detroit International Auto show is a prime opportunity for another SAVE SAAB rally/protest as it is something that would attract world wide attention. Not sure if I would be able to make the trip from Dallas, I work seven days a week, but many from the area and surrounding states should be able to make it I would think, probably at least a hundred or so. But it needs to be organized and promoted soon to get a good turn out!
Your Texas Realtor since1995.Sorry, I crossed to the Bavarian dark sideMY FACEBOOK PAGE WITH/SAAB TURBO LIFE GALLERY. JET BLACK/TAN DAKOTA '11 335i N55 Twin Power/ZFSteptronic/SPORT/PREMIUM/NAVIGATION/DINAN 355HP/401LBFT, Previous: E92 328i 6MT SPORT/PREMIUM, '08 9-3Aero SS, '07 9-3 2.0T Premium,'06 COBB STAGE III WRX - GEARBOX KEPT BREAKING,etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement