Photos of my dashboard, damaged by dealer - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan/Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop
Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 21-12-09
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jul 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 Aero w/Touring & Cold Weather
Default Photos of my dashboard, damaged by dealer

Here are the photos of my dashboard. Talking about a 2007 9-3SS Aero that was purchased brand-new in 2007. The dashboard was in mint condition prior to this problem.

The first few photos are of the dashboard-facing that got damaged by the dealership while replacing the dashboard, presumably as parts were re-insterted.

The second set of photos are of the replacement dashboard after it had been installed in my car. Take note of the screwed-up finish as well as the improper fit of the part on the left side. The dealership attributes these findings to manufacturing defects. Needless to say, I have a hard time believing that.

The dealership ordered new parts and they will be replacing them after the holidays. Kudos to them for that. However, they said the repair may take up to two days and they aren not willing to give me a loaner car if it does. I am tempted to squeeze them on this point, but then again, I may just let it go and live with the huge inconvenience.

I am going to give these people a very, very hard time if this second repair isn't spot-on.....i.e. exactly like it was when I first bought the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-12-09
SaabNut!

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2005 9.3 Linear; 1989 900 Turbo

Keep documentation. Very Important to do so.
If you take them to small claims court, you will win hands down!
No reason you should have to accept poor workmanship like that especially since they caused the problem.
At least they are assuming responsibility so I'll give them kudos for that much.
Good luck!
ps: are they replacing the dash with a new part or perhaps they found one in a wrecking yard???
Old 21-12-09
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulloj View Post
No reason you should have to accept poor workmanship like that especially since they caused the problem.
At least they are assuming responsibility so I'll give them kudos for that much.
Good luck!
ps: are they replacing the dash with a new part or perhaps they found one in a wrecking yard???
Yeah, I am keeping documentation. Unfortunately, on none of the paperwork have these f-ing a-holes acknowledged that they damaged the dashboard. They cited the original complaint as a "blemish on the dashboard". However, the very fact that they replaced the dashboard at no charge about a week after the initial incident is one hell of a smoking gun that the did something for which they were responsible.
Old 22-12-09
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulloj View Post
Good luck!
Hey, just out of curiosity, you don't think the worn finish on the dashboard (near the gear shifter) is a manufacturing defect, do you?
Old 24-12-09
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2009                                                
My Saabs: wife's 04 9-3, my 9-3, fd3s in garage

good luck with the situation, let us all know how it turns out
Old 24-12-09
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04_maine aero View Post
good luck with the situation, let us all know how it turns out

Well, the plan is for them to replace the dashboard and faceplate in early January. I fully expect sloppy work and additional damage. Then I will sue.
Old 24-12-09
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2006                                                
My Saabs: a distant memory now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSandman View Post
I fully expect sloppy work and additional damage. Then I will sue.
And yet you keep going back.

Anyway, good luck with that lawsuit. Out of curiosity, what exactly will you be suing for?
Old 24-12-09
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sptsdn View Post
And yet you keep going back.

Anyway, good luck with that lawsuit. Out of curiosity, what exactly will you be suing for?
and yet I keep going back? I'm going back a second time! They botched one replacement, and technically they deserve another chance before I tear into them. There are plenty of things for which one could sue in this situation, aside from the most obvious item: funds to cover the replacement at another dealership, i.e. one that is able to perform the replacement properly.
Old 25-12-09
Super Moderator

Join Date: Feb 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3SE (2005 9-3 gone :(

Quote:
funds to cover the replacement at another dealership, i.e. one that is able to perform the replacement properly.
Dash replacement is very hard. I fear that even a very motivated dealership can't do it right.
Old 25-12-09
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '09 9-3 SS Aero XWD

I thought Saab had a pretty well defined "loaner" program. Check into it Dr. Sandman...
Carbon Gray, Black Premium Leather, VTuned, 30% tint.
Old 25-12-09
SaabNut!

Join Date: Aug 2007                                                
My Saabs: 03 9-3 SS 2.0T Vector (gone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 37 View Post
Dash replacement is very hard. I fear that even a very motivated dealership can't do it right.
I second that. As I work for a parts supplier for a very large car company I can unfortunately vouch that the "service parts" are not manufactured to the same quality tolerances and care that the parts destined for purchased vehicles. I found that out when I replaced my peeling dashboard surround and the vents no longer fit snug and it felt of cheaper quality than the original peeling one. Plus, your original dash was meant for "your" car and replacements are well, just replacements. Unfortunately I don't think your dashboard will ever be perfect again. But granted, that fit and finish of the console kick panels is horrendous.
Old 25-12-09
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorized View Post
I second that. As I work for a parts supplier for a very large car company I can unfortunately vouch that the "service parts" are not manufactured to the same quality tolerances and care that the parts destined for purchased vehicles. I found that out when I replaced my peeling dashboard surround and the vents no longer fit snug and it felt of cheaper quality than the original peeling one. Plus, your original dash was meant for "your" car and replacements are well, just replacements. Unfortunately I don't think your dashboard will ever be perfect again. But granted, that fit and finish of the console kick panels is horrendous.
Vectorized, everything else about the replacement dash fits quite well, with very few minor exceptions. And those exceptions, in my opinion, still qualify as "good enough" for me.

Now, I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding of the law is that they have a responsibility to make me "whole" again. I don't think there's any sort of work of this nature where the final product is expected to be of lesser quality than the original (i.e. the way a reconstructed knee isn't as good as an uninjured knee). Moreover, this whole thing occurred because they damaged my car while removing an inspection sticker--which is indicative of pure, unadulterated negligince. So, the way I see it, this dealership has no rights in this matter. They are completely at fault, and it is entirely their job to see to it that the damage is undone no matter how much it costs them. I cannot imagine a court disagreeing with me on that point.

As for dashboard replacements being difficult, well, I have two things to say in response: How does Saab manage to build cars without the dashboards being damaged? If Saab can do it, then the dealership should find out what Saab does. I don't think Saab employs special elves with super-fine motor skills to build their cars. Whatever Saab does, the dealership can do. If the damage occurs while parts are being removed, then the dealership should only install new parts when they rebuild my dash. If the dealership thinks that's too expensive, well.....they should have thought of that before gouging my dashboard while removing the inspection sticker!

As we both agree, the area near the center console is atrocious. To me, that signifies a complete lack of competence.

The dealership said that the fit/finish problems (including the worn-down cobblestone texture) were manufacturing defects. Would you agree with that statement? Or do you think the center console got damaged while it was in their possession, and the person who installed it on my car tried to buff out the creases and crush marks...which in-turn also rubbed out the textured finish?
Old 25-12-09
SaabNut!

Join Date: Nov 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3

Quote:
I cannot imagine a court disagreeing with me on that point.

As for dashboard replacements being difficult, well, I have two things to say in response: How does Saab manage to build cars without the dashboards being damaged?
Judges can do shocking things! Nothing is a given. Judges can write some fancy excuse for their actions. For example, she could say that the damage is not material damage (doesn't affect function). This would be a bad judgement but within the possibilities.

Have you ever seen a factory? The dash is put together with lots of space around each unit. The dash is then put into a car with no doors or seats. Try to disassemble part of it and it's hard.

This example is bad but....aren't you a dentist? Get punched really bad in the jaw and you might not be able to put the teeth back together again. Or a little bit of hanky panky can create a baby who then has nice teeth...no effort. But putting back a boxer's mangled teeth is a challenge.
Old 26-12-09
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch 93 View Post
Judges can do shocking things! Nothing is a given. Judges can write some fancy excuse for their actions. For example, she could say that the damage is not material damage (doesn't affect function). This would be a bad judgement but within the possibilities.

Have you ever seen a factory? The dash is put together with lots of space around each unit. The dash is then put into a car with no doors or seats. Try to disassemble part of it and it's hard.

This example is bad but....aren't you a dentist? Get punched really bad in the jaw and you might not be able to put the teeth back together again. Or a little bit of hanky panky can create a baby who then has nice teeth...no effort. But putting back a boxer's mangled teeth is a challenge.
Oh lord, that teeth example was pretty bad!!

Seriously, I don't think it is impossible for a dealership to make the dashboard blemish-free again. The current damage (ie to the faceplate) had nothing to do with the presence of doors on the car. It was sloppy work, pure and simple.

Doing good work takes time and effort, and yes, money--more than this dealership wants to devote to my car, I have no doubt. But it's really not their choice. The moment they treated my car like a beat-up Daihatsu, they committed themselves to a world of expense and inconvenience for themselves.

Last edited by DrSandman; 26-12-09 at 07:05 PM.
Old 27-12-09
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2007 93 SS-AERO V6 MT6

Quote:

horrible matching, different colors degradation, ...aging, texture. some of the parts look like 10 years old.
for sure these parts belong to your car?.

Old 28-12-09
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrdrony View Post
horrible matching, different colors degradation, ...aging, texture. some of the parts look like 10 years old.
for sure these parts belong to your car?.
Well, the dealership said they ordered these parts....from somewhere. I don't trust them as far as I can throw my Saab!
Old 28-12-09
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2008                                                
My Saabs: Until 7/2010 9-3AERO SS,2.0T(previous)
Cool

I'd be upset
Your Texas Realtor since1995.Sorry, I crossed to the Bavarian dark sideMY FACEBOOK PAGE WITH/SAAB TURBO LIFE GALLERY. JET BLACK/TAN DAKOTA '11 335i N55 Twin Power/ZFSteptronic/SPORT/PREMIUM/NAVIGATION/DINAN 355HP/401LBFT, Previous: E92 328i 6MT SPORT/PREMIUM, '08 9-3Aero SS, '07 9-3 2.0T Premium,'06 COBB STAGE III WRX - GEARBOX KEPT BREAKING,etc.
Old 28-12-09
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 2.0T Titan Gray

it looks as though they squished the soft plastic, which caused wrinkles. i hope everything works out for you, i had a similar problem with a dealership.
Old 28-12-09
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohooba93 View Post
it looks as though they squished the soft plastic, which caused wrinkles. i hope everything works out for you, i had a similar problem with a dealership.
That's exactly what I thought. The dealership, however, insists that it's a manufacturing defect. Yeah, and I'm the president of the United States!

They damaged the part, and tried to rub out the damage.....thinking I was too stupid to notice it.
Old 29-12-09

Join Date: Mar 2009                                                
My Saabs: '06 9-3 Aero SC

I sure hope that they make everything right for you when you take your car back. Jeers to them for not owning up to the damage up front, but cheers for (if begrudgingly) taking care of it.

I do take exception to the notion that because dash replacement is difficult that even a motivated dealership can't do it right! I have removed and reinstalled countless dashes in vehicles from Cavaliers to Silverados to Corvettes to Caddies (actually, the Equinox has to be one of the biggest PITA...) While I agree that it is a tough job and carelessness can cause damage, the great majority of dealership techs take great pride in their work. Also, we are human and mistakes do happen ~ that should be acknowledged up front and taken care of instead of attempting to hide the damage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement