Better fuel mileage by accident - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 16th December 2009

Join Date: Dec 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 wagon
Default Better fuel mileage by accident

Engine Management light went on during a trip so although I was apprehensive but none of the other specific indicators were showing problems and the car continued to operate well at highway speeds. When I got home I had gone over 200 miles and had used only about 1/4 tank. I checked what I could and by the time I could scheduled a diagnosis with my mechanic I had gone 545 miles on 3/4 tank of fuel. They discovered the 1/4" (?) hose connecting the Turbo airflow at the front of the engine to the Bypass valve mounted near the firewall had come loose. They said it was only effecting my Turbo-Boost and should not be causing damage. I had the hose replaced but wonder if anyone else has had this happen. If the mechanic is correct why not disconnect the hose again or perhaps put in a "T" fitting that could be plugged to connect the airflow as originally designed or unplugged and capped with a simple filter material to to keep the line clean while safely releasing the pressure (or vacuum) for much better mileage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16th December 2009
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: .

Ok so, lets assume the check engine light was indicating a problem with the car running lean - not enough fuel (upset by the leak) sure you'd save petrol byy ignoring the warning but you may also melt a piston
I decline to grant to SAABCENTRAL.COM a non exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sublicense, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information I submit to any public areas....
Old 16th December 2009

Question Lean fuel mix

Thanks for reply. That was my first question to the mechanic...was this indicating fuel too lean or airflow in bypass line not reading correctly. They checked the computer readings and didn't think it was running so lean as to burn a piston. Wouldn't this effect the temperature reading? Still need to know more before I change the original connections.
Old 16th December 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2006                                                
My Saabs: BMW 530D Touring xDrive

Leave the connections as designed. Saab would have disconnected the hose from factory if this would improve mileage this much without damage.
Old 16th December 2009

Default Lean fuel mix

I'm inclined to agree. This is my 4th (successive) Saab over the last 20 years. I think these cars have had a lot of thought put into their design.
Old 16th December 2009

Join Date: Jan 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-5 Arc wagon

No lean running would not result in high temp warning as the heat is very localized. At low power output it will probably not be a problem (highway cruise etc.) but at high power output it can destroy the engine pretty fast. It also results in very high NOX emissions.
Old 17th December 2009

Default Lean fuel mix

I appreciate this information. I think this is a great car and want to keep it in the best condition I can before my next Saab purchase. Thanks.
Old 17th December 2009
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Mar 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-7X 5.3i

That hose is one of the worst in terms of needing to be replaced regularly.
The amount of heat it is exposed to is crazy.
You also have to be careful that the replacement hose is high quality ... we only use Saab turbo vac hose for that one.
2006 9-7X 5.3i
Old 17th December 2009

Default Turbo Vac Hose

The new hose was very thick-walled yet appeared quite flexible. We lost our Certified Saab Repair Shop here in Sarasota recently and for the last few years have been going to a great European Performance Mechanic who is very thorough and appreciates the Saab design. Wish he had Saab Certification but he does research my problems carefully. Thanks again.
Old 25th March 2014

Join Date: Sep 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2005 9-5 Arc

Does anybody know what this hose is called? I need to replace mine, and I want to make sure I get the right piece. Eeuroparts has 1-meter silicone vacuum hose (3.5mm id, 2mm wall). Would this work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement