Anyone install the SAAB Road Holding Kit? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning

9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the 9-5

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10th December 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: '08 9-5 Aero, '06 9-3SC, '00 Viggen
Default Anyone install the SAAB Road Holding Kit?

I will need new front struts in the Spring and the rear shocks are approaching end of life too (will have 70K of their proven 100K life consumed by spring). So I figure I may as well do both the front and rear at the same time.

This is for a 9-5 base model so the Road Holding Kit would be an upgrade - springs, sway bars, and dampers. I could buy either Bilstein or Koni dampers only, but the cost of these dampers alone is surprisingly close to the cost of the entire SAAB kit! Maybe even more money for the Koni's.

Has anyone installed this kit? Are you satisfied or disappointed with your choice?

Last edited by MI-Roger; 11th December 2009 at 07:01 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10th December 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2006                                                
My Saabs: 01 9-5 Wagon (RIP); 05 9-5 Aero (gone)

I installed the kit on my '01 wagon a few years back.

The rear shocks were complete garbage. They were softer than the KYB shocks I took off, and after a year were completely trashed and leaking oil. I put the KYBs back on and now after another 65k km (85k km total) they are getting thrashed too. Rear shocks are the weak point.

On the wagon, the rear was lowered too much. I used a 1cm spacer to get it closer to where I thought it should be. May not be a problem with a sedan.

The bars are a nice upgrade, and the ride doesn't suffer much and is more controlled than stock LPT - we have terrible roads and the car rides much smoother and quieter than my '05 Aero.

Rear bar is easy to install. Front bar is painful - do it with the struts out for more clearance. Super careful not to break the (unique, high-strength) swaybar bushing bolts. Drop rear of subframe, disconnect engine mount, etc. Good half day of work. Start with PB Blaster on sway bar bolts every day for a week.

Replace the sway bar links at the same time. Moog links are heavier and have a grease fitting - may last longer.

Oh yeah, and you need an alignment right away when done. Have rear hub shims on hand - you are lowering the car which will add negative camber. You can measure camber and add appropriate shims at home before going to the alignment shop.
Old 12th December 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-5 Sedan, 2006 Sportcombi

On my old Gary Fisher I put Monroe's on it with no issues at all. I think I paid around 60 a piece for them.
Old 12th December 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5 2.3lpt Auto Nordic Stg. 3+
Garage

Go for it. Then when the shocks fail you can put in Bilsteins

>>> THE Stereo Upgrade Thread <<<
Old 12th December 2009

Join Date: Nov 2009                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-5 Linear Wagon w/TD04 Stage 1

Bilsteins and koni's are very nice and yes you would probably pay $800-$1000 just for those. the roadholding kit is not that aggressive and you would do fine with KYB gr2's or Monroe sensatracs. both of these shocks will last 100k+ and provide a fine ride and good enough dampening for that kit.
Now if you went with more aggressive lowered spring then you might need the konis or Bilsteins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement