What should I do next? - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > Saab 9-5 Workshop
Saab 9-5 Workshop Saab 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 9th December 2009

Join Date: Nov 2009                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-5 Linear Wagon w/TD04 Stage 1
Default What should I do next?

Just bought an 03 Linear 2.3 LPT wagon a couple weeks ago with 66k on the clock. I think I wold eventually like to go to Stage 1 but no further with this car and I am pretty sure I would like to keep the stock suspension for a nice smooth ride. So I am at a crossroads now on what to do next.

So far I have:
Replaced tires with Bridgestone Turanza with Serenity
Changed oil with Mobil 5-30, and OEM filter
Flushed auto tranny and changed with new 3309 fluid.
Changed serpentine belt
Replaced o-rings on bottom and top of TB along with a good cleaning.
Replaced vacuum lines.
PVC#6 and extra hoses are on the way.

I imagined that I will do a brake job in the next couple months, and probably drop the sump before doing any power upgrades.

I have some questions about my turbo. It seems to make good boost as the car performs just fine. There is no blue smoke or other strange symptoms. But I do have consistent oil in intake tracked. I cleaned it out last week and now have probably a couple TBSP worth in there. Do you think I should address this before upgrading to Stage 1?
Should I invest in a new turbo cartridge? Just do a partial rebuild and replace few seals? Or just wait for it to start exhibiting more symptoms of failure after a Stage 1 upgrade. I am planning on doing the BSR PPC Stage 1.

Anway, I think I know the answer but I would be interested to hear your opinions. Also, do you think the new PVC#6 might alleviate some of the oil in the intake tracked?

so in short:

Turbo then Stage 1 or Stage 1 then turbo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 9th December 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9⁵ 5-speed Stg1 207K Miles

I would definitely keep a close eye on your engine oil level and make sure you are topping it off if you're losing substantial oil. Some oil in the intake is normal you'll always get a bit, but a couple tablespoons after you cleaned it seems too much. It is good that you're not getting blue smoke, so this could mean it's not leaking on the exhaust side of the turbo which is what really burns off the oil and gives that characteristic smoke.

Personally I would find a good Mit TD-04 turbocharger (virtually bulletproof) off a 9-3 or 9-5 Aero or some Arcs make sure you get the new turbo lines or at the very least all the banjo bolts for the turbo and do the swap. Then do some poking around on ecuproject.org and learn how to flash your ECU with updated software. There have been a ton of helpful folks showing you how it's done- it is definitely not rocket science (following directions I mean). This was by far the best upgrade I did to my car... well that and the MY03 Aero Seats!

But whatever you decide enjoy your wagon... sounds like you have a great car.

www.theSAABguy.com
Old 9th December 2009

Thanks jwwells! Yes, I check the oil every fill up and then some. I may look at the TD04 but new garret sounds so much easier. then maybe the stage one from BSR or JZW. I am not sure I want to flash my own ecu.
Anyone have any thoughts on pushing the Garret turbo into Stage 1 parameters? Are these little turbos capable of more, while still being reliable?
Old 9th December 2009
Saab Lunatic

Others on this site will give you this same encouragement. The TD-04 upgrade is really not a big deal. The only difference between the two turbos is the size of the banjo bolts in the turbo cassette itself (that and reliability/performance/etc). You really don't even have to replace the lines, just use larger copper washers and you will be set. If you check out the costs they are virtually identical and well worth it.
Of course do what you feel most comfortable with, but if you're replacing the turbo anyway this is the way to go.

www.theSAABguy.com

Last edited by jwwells; 9th December 2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 9th December 2009

Ok. you may have convinced me. what about the ecu? would i have to purchase an aero ecu and marry it to the car. what route did you go with the software?
Old 9th December 2009
Saab Lunatic

Ok Great... there are a couple options.
One option is to take the next week and learn everything you can from ecuproject.org and the tuning/mods page for 9-5s right here on SaabCentral. Then flash the ecu yourself. This is obviously the cheapest way to go. (I went this route and wouldn't have done it any other way)

Another option is getting an ECU from a wrecked Aero and having it programmed to your car with a Tech II. This requires a dealership and a junk yard, so the price is negotiable, definitely more expensive than doing it yourself, but less can go wrong.

Finally you can purchase a already tuned ECU from one of the many tuners out there. This is obviously the most expensive option.

Now I will caution you... once you go down this road you may find yourself wanting more and more power... so don't tell me I didn't warn you.

Good Luck and have fun with your SAAB.

www.theSAABguy.com
Old 13th December 2009

Default TD04 it is then!

Just purchased a used TD04 off ebay with 61k on it. With oil lines, no shaft play,and no signs of oil.
As soon as I get a spare ECU, mine will go off to JZWtuning for a stage 1. Then I will gather my misc. pieces and parts and should be ready to put it in January.
Can't wait!

When all is said and done I should have stage 1 aero power for around $600.
Old 13th December 2009
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptnjosh View Post
Can't wait!
Me neither... Although to get that spare ECU so it will even start your car you'd need to flash it with t7suite. What you need to do is send off the spare ECU to the tuners. The Immobilizer code which you will need to provide them is written on your ECU in the car.

www.theSAABguy.com
Old 13th December 2009

Forgot about that. Well, I think it is a necessary evil, as I want to take my time with this and put it all in at once. In that case should I just send the spare ECU in for the Stage upgrade, and keep the original in the car until I am ready for the install? Or do I want to keep my original ECU with proper VIN in the car? Another option would be take the the spare ECU to my local indie mechanic and have him marry it to the car for the time being? Anyone got a going rate for this service?
Old 13th December 2009
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptnjosh View Post
Forgot about that. Well, I think it is a necessary evil, as I want to take my time with this and put it all in at once. In that case should I just send the spare ECU in for the Stage upgrade, and keep the original in the car until I am ready for the install? Or do I want to keep my original ECU with proper VIN in the car? Another option would be take the the spare ECU to my local indie mechanic and have him marry it to the car for the time being? Anyone got a going rate for this service?
Because new software is going on the ECU anyway it would be a waste of money to flash both...
  1. Purchase used ECU from scrap yard, ebay, etc. (any model and year)
  2. Pull out your ECU and copy down Immobilizer code and VIN written on the side then reinstall, no need to disconnect ,but pull out copy down info and put back in.
  3. Send in spare ECU, Immobilizer code, and VIN to tuners
  4. When you receive tuned ECU back. Install turbo + ECU
  5. Drive it like your hair is on fire

Last thing, small detail... make sure JZWtuning knows you want a tune for 9-5 fitted with a TD-04. Also, you can always sell your original ECU on eBay and recoup some costs or just hold on to it in case you want an upgrade and you wouldn't be without a car for a while.

www.theSAABguy.com

Last edited by jwwells; 13th December 2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old 13th December 2009

Thanks for clearing that up. That seems easiest. Yes, I was planning on selling the old ECU and turbo setup on ebay or here to recoup some of my costs. Factor that in , and you can subtract at least a couple hundred from the upgrade costs.
Old 13th December 2009
Saab Lunatic

Here's where you'll find the immobilizer code... its on the connector of the ECU, so you do have to just pop off the connector for a moment.

www.theSAABguy.com
Old 14th December 2009

So just to confirm I can use any T7 ECU to flash a stage 1 to for may 03 LPT with a TD-04.

It doesn't have to be the same year and engine? I thought I would ask as I could get a good deal on a V6 ecu right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement