AMSOIL? - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9000 > Saab 9000 Workshop
Saab 9000 Workshop Saab 9000 (1985-1998) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 5th October 2003
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: None now
Default AMSOIL?

Hey all,

I am almost due for an oil change. My plan is to go full synthetic from here on out. I was checking out a crate of Mobil 1 5W-30 when the store clerk mentioned AMSOIL. This guy claimed that it was the best of the best, has anyone out there heard of it and if so is it any good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6th October 2003
Super Moderator

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
My Saabs: 9000 2.3 stg3, 9-5 waggon

Demontweeks sell AMSOIL here in the UK, it is very expensive [isn't anything off those guys], they tend to market it at sport and track enthusiasts. The products are held in high regard.
Old 7th October 2003
Saab on the Brain!

Thanks,

Here in the states it goes for about 50 dollars for the filters, flush kit, and oil if I can call it that.
Old 7th October 2003
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                
My Saabs: 1993 Sleeper

Everyone I know holds AMSOIL in the highest regard….
I am not 100% sold on it as of yet…
I have used Castrol (regular oil) for years and have being playing around with Castrol Syntec (synthetic blend) I am just not sure for regular street driven cars or cars that are driven normal for the most part, if the price of AMSOIL is justifiable
:-??
Old 7th October 2003
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1989 900t, 1990 900t, 1990 900 S, 87 SPG

I would DEFINATELY go for Mobil 1 oil. I bought(for my dad) a cherry 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (3.8l V6 supercharged) and the car has about 130,000 miles on it, which is well over 200,000km. The car doesn't use a drop of oil and still makes at least the stock rating of 280lb/ft torque. The car was kept with Mobil 1 regularly and the condition of the motor (and the rest of the car save the driver's seat and steering wheel) is that of a car with 1/4 the milage. I could not be more pleased with the condition, perhaps GM delivered a good car from the start but I've seen Audis with 1/2 the milage that looked a lot worse!

I'd stray away from Syntec as it is essentially a modified crude-based oil, not a real synthetic like Mobil 1. Amsoil I have no experience with. I would also stray from using Castrol GTX in heavy duty applications, ie turbocharged and hard driven cars as it has a tendency to break down at extreme temperatures.
Old 7th October 2003
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                
My Saabs: 1993 Sleeper

Well like I said, I use Castrol and any oil out there turns in to a heated debate…
I look at it this way….
One, I ran Castrol in my SS/JA 68 Dodge Charger for 8 years.. I held the NHRA divisional title for three of those 8 years and my best quarter mile time was 10:98 in a very heavy car for it’s class…
Two I have run Castrol in every car I have owned since I was old enough to drive and that was a long time ago…. I have yet to have any problems will my Saabs two of which have well over a quarter million miles on them and one was driven 120 miles a day every day at pretty quick highway speeds (70-85 MPH)
Three, The ITB car we are currently campaigning has done very well this year and has seen nothing but Castrol products, this car stays at redline or pretty close to it for most of it’s laps which have been in the 23-25 area…
There…….. I have said my piece……. It’s Castrol all the way or until someone can compare the same amount of uses with a different brand.
Old 7th October 2003
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2002                                                

I run what ever 10-30 oil is on sale. Never had a oil related failure. They all have to meet certain criteria that even in Compotation, you are is not going to break. As long as you change your oil every 5000 miles, you can run any old oil with out problems, and that much is fact. I can remember a similar debate about the Z-max stuff they sell on TV. Then everyone found out it was just mineral oil... huu any oil will do, and more power to ya if you bulk buy the cheap stuff at wall mart when it's on sale for 89 cents per qt. I know I do
Old 9th October 2003
Saab on the Brain!

Thanks guys,

I am changing my oil tomorrow. I went to the local autozone a few days back and the guy there told me to infact use a blend (i.e. castrol syntec) with a midgrade Bosch filter, run that for about 3K and after that to go full synthetic. Any comments?

As for Rhich's comment about Castrol, I concur. I used Valvolie and my saab hated it. The last change I did, I used Castrol's high miles 10W-40 and my car ran much better.

Mobil 1 has an amazing reputation so I am still at a bit of a loss as to what to chose; Castrol or Mobil but I guess I have 3000 miles to think it over.

Finaly, I want to install Bosch 4+ platinum plugs. I heard they make a hell of a difference but are they worth the 40 bucks?
Old 9th October 2003
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1989 900t, 1990 900t, 1990 900 S, 87 SPG

Platinums are great on naturally aspirated cars -

but NOT on a turbo!
Old 10th October 2003

Amsoil is good stuff, tends to be a little pricey and their distribution/sales strategy is a little odd, but I don't use their filters or hyper-extended change interval. Mobil 1 is also good. Another good option is the synthetic diesel oils e.g. Mobil Delvac 1, Shell Rotella T Synthetic.
Old 10th October 2003
Saab on the Brain!

Mine is a non-turbo so I'm getting some 4+es after my next paycheck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement