Justins Stroker 89 SPG - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Performance, Mods & Tuning > C900 Projects

C900 Projects For ongoing threads concerning classic 900 projects

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 2nd November 2009

Join Date: Sep 2009                                                
My Saabs: 89 SPG 2.5L HOLSET tranny thrasher
Default Justins Stroker 89 SPG

As the title states this is a build thread that I have been meaning to post of my 89 SPG. It all started last winter I was on my way to work when a lady in a jetta slid across the intersection I was at and cliped the front of my 1996 SAAB 900 SE. The insurance company decided to total out the car and gave me $3000 for it so I took the money pulled off all of my performance parts sold them on craigslist and bout mysef a 1989 SPG. The car was already slightly modified, Intrax lowering spring, SAS sway bars, Redbox APC, and full service history on the car. Anyway I purchased the car put a faze boost guage on and drove it. Of corse it was not fast enough for me so I turned up the boost to 24 psi aded a 3 bar FPR, 34 lb injectors, B212 intake manifold, 91 B234 9000 cylinder head, Port matched both intake, exhaust manifolds and the head. The car was a rocket keeping up with moded evos, STIs, GTIs ans pretty much everything I ended up coming up aganced. One night me and a buddy were leaving from the liquer store when I pulled up aganced a Lexux IS-F. Of corse me being the hot head I am decided that I was going to race him, From a roll it was a pretty close race he was pulling on me but not by much. Then from the next stop light we took off and he made me look like a little ***** when he launched and I was waiting for my turbo to spool up. This shure ticked me off So that weekend I decieded That I was going to putt the engine and build my self a monster. So now I am neck deap puting a B234 crank from a 91 9000 ino a B212 slant 91 900 non turbo block. I have had cusom forged pistons built from Wiseco and the engine is jut about coming together. Calculations put it at a 2.5L or 152.6ci

Last edited by Cruzer51; 2nd November 2009 at 12:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2nd November 2009

Here is some pics of the car when I got it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0008%5B1%5D.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	14737   Click image for larger version

Name:	n605826972_1573166_972.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	14738   Click image for larger version

Name:	n605826972_1573161_8569.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	14739   Click image for larger version

Name:	n605826972_1573187_1820.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	14740  
Old 2nd November 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2008                                                
My Saabs: Until 7/2010 9-3AERO SS,2.0T(previous)
Cool

Wow, great looking car, and must be fast with that modded motor. I've actually never driven a 900 !
Your Texas Realtor since1995.Sorry, I crossed to the Bavarian dark sideMY FACEBOOK PAGE WITH/SAAB TURBO LIFE GALLERY. JET BLACK/TAN DAKOTA '11 335i N55 Twin Power/ZFSteptronic/SPORT/PREMIUM/NAVIGATION/DINAN 355HP/401LBFT, Previous: E92 328i 6MT SPORT/PREMIUM, '08 9-3Aero SS, '07 9-3 2.0T Premium,'06 COBB STAGE III WRX - GEARBOX KEPT BREAKING,etc.
Old 2nd November 2009

Here are the pics of when I did the B234 head swap with the 212 intake manifold and 3 bar FPR before the ISF race and complete engine teardown.

Last edited by Cruzer51; 8th November 2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old 2nd November 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2008                                                
My Saabs: Until 7/2010 9-3AERO SS,2.0T(previous)
Cool

Try to make the 2009 Toy Run !
Your Texas Realtor since1995.Sorry, I crossed to the Bavarian dark sideMY FACEBOOK PAGE WITH/SAAB TURBO LIFE GALLERY. JET BLACK/TAN DAKOTA '11 335i N55 Twin Power/ZFSteptronic/SPORT/PREMIUM/NAVIGATION/DINAN 355HP/401LBFT, Previous: E92 328i 6MT SPORT/PREMIUM, '08 9-3Aero SS, '07 9-3 2.0T Premium,'06 COBB STAGE III WRX - GEARBOX KEPT BREAKING,etc.
Old 2nd November 2009

Here are some pics of the HOlSET HY35 I picked up for the car. Also a pic of the block and head. Its going to be mounted directly behind the headlight and the outlet is going to to be at the botom as shown in the last picture, This will make for easy FMIC piping and good air flow from behind the headlight.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0375%5B1%5D.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	14746   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0371%5B1%5D.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	14747   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0385%5B1%5D.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	14748  

Last edited by Cruzer51; 8th November 2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old 2nd November 2009

Choosing this turbo a bunch of my friends gave me ****. Said it would be to big and never spool. This drove me to prove them wrong and after 2 hours of calculating and a migraine later came up with this flow chart of the HY35 it should start spooling at 3200 RPM and have Plenty of flow up to my new 7500 RPM redline and even have flow past that it I ever decide to rev it out more. Also the other pics are of the 90 degree bend that is going to come off of the stock exhaust manifold I picked up a piece of 2.5inch mandrel bent tubing and some T3 turbo flanges and a Tial 44mm external wastegate. This is a quick mock up for a basic idea of what it will be of corce the wastegate will be closer to the turbo and the tubing has to be shortend but it just gives you a genral idea.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	holset%20hy35%20graph%20with%20rpm%20flow%20overlay.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	14749   Click image for larger version

Name:	external%20wastegate%20%232.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	14750   Click image for larger version

Name:	T3%20flanges.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	14751  

Last edited by Cruzer51; 23rd January 2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 2nd November 2009

Ile finish posting pics tnight when I get off work
Old 8th November 2009

Here are some more pict. The first pic is of the T5 wiering harness from a 94 9k cse non tcs that I am using to convert the car to T-5.

The second picture is of the B234 crank after the counter balance weights being machiened to clear the tranny, and crank case.

The 3rd picture is when I first got the idea of puting the B234 crank in the B212 block just to see if it would fit.

The 4th picture is the Tial 44mm external wastegate that I picked for the car.

Old 8th November 2009

Here are some pics of:
1st Block back from the machienest geting o-ringed

2nd block painted

3rd Genuine SAAB valve springs (acording to there site they are only for T-5 cars but I referanced on SAAB EPC and the part # for the B234 and B212 valve springs supercied to the same part # that the T5 ones, I also contacted Nick to conferm this.

4th The Simens Deka 63lb injectors to should be good for over 500hp with E-85
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GetAttachment.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	14900  

Old 8th November 2009
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1989 900t, 1990 900t, 1990 900 S, 87 SPG

If you machine the B234 counterweights to clear the tranny, wouldn't this throw off the balancing?
Turbo allows the valiant who has appeared at the wheel SAAB to gain momentum for 200 km/h Charm SAAB Turbo also that it to you not bad Porsche on it it is possible with speed of pregnant turtle feeling itself in full comfort which by the way our hero obeys a rudder reliably and confidently the truth management hardly will twirl a steering wheel by one finger uneasy. Without the hydraulic booster quickly enough perishes a steering shaft, but to change its hemorrhoids from the most fierce
Old 9th November 2009
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jan 2008                                                
My Saabs: T16 T5 stage X, GT3071 well modded

Quote:
If you machine the B234 counterweights to clear the tranny, wouldn't this throw off the balancing?
I'm guessing that he's had it rebalanced.
Old 9th November 2009
Saab Crazy

Quote:
1st Block back from the machienest geting o-ringed

2nd block painted

3rd Genuine SAAB valve springs (acording to there site they are only for T-5 cars but I referanced on SAAB EPC and the part # for the B234 and B212 valve springs supercied to the same part # that the T5 ones, I also contacted Nick to conferm this.

4th The Simens Deka 63lb injectors to should be good for over 500hp with E-85
Very interesting engine project, it should have plenty of bottom end pull.
Whats the bore size now? Is it maximum oversize 2.1 or bigger?
What headgasket are you going to use?
Wouldn't it be better to fit aftermarket/heavy duty valve spring, Cos I imagine you're going to slip some different cams in whilst you're in there?
I'm not clued up on these Holset turbos so i'll be interested in the results.
Old 9th November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbofrenzy View Post
I'm guessing that he's had it rebalanced.
Yes I am having the entire rotatinga sembaly. Pistons, rods, piston rings, crank, harmonic balancer, AC/T5 CPS wheel, Flywheel, and Clutch re balanced as soon as I get my Aluminum connecting rods from GRP.
Old 9th November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbofrenzy View Post
Very interesting engine project, it should have plenty of bottom end pull.
Whats the bore size now? Is it maximum oversize 2.1 or bigger?
What headgasket are you going to use?
Wouldn't it be better to fit aftermarket/heavy duty valve spring, Cos I imagine you're going to slip some different cams in whilst you're in there?
I'm not clued up on these Holset turbos so i'll be interested in the results.
Yes the .5liters should give me some more botom end and touque out of the car but the bigest reason that I am doing it is to have the extra .5Liters to help spool up the holset, and I enjoy a chalange and being different witch is why I drive SAABs

The bore size now is 3.71" with the 3.54" stroke crank 2.509 liters

For the head gasket I was originaly planing on using a copper head gasket but after talking to Dan Wats (low 9 second drag sonnett with B212 engine and chevy 350 tranny) and John Willams (600 WHP NG900) who are both local up here at altitude here in denver colorado have ran the copper head gaskets and been displeased with the longjevity of the coolant and oil pasages leking and both have gone back and ran the stock saab headgasket with O-ringed block and ARP head studs and have not experianced any proble with it. This is the rout I am taking the block has already been o-ringed and I have the studs so I am going to use the stock head gasket and we will see how long it lasts, but I am pretty confident that it will no be a prboblem.

I do have aftermarket stiffer valve springs from Genune SAAB They are considerably stiffer than the stock ones from the feal though I have not goten an exact measurement of them. They are good for about 7500 RPM and more agresive cam profiles. As far as cams go I am going to see how far I can push my B212 intake cam and my 85 exhaust cam with my ported and polished B234 head. Next winter I am going to build a new head for the car with larger valves, solid lifters, cusom crane cams, trollspeed valvesprings and increase the RPM redline to eather 8k or more depending or how I feel things are going.
Old 16th November 2009

I now hav in my posetion a chilcast tranny that I am going to build. I will be removing all the internals from the 89 SPG tranny that came out of the car and converting it to a 5 spd. I am looking for a shop to machiene a hardend steel pinion berring housing (and probibly going having the size of the pinion berring enlarged) righ now and steel inner driver berring housings. I am also sorcing out a shop to build a custom set of strait cut gears for it. Also I will be adding a berring to the primary housing to even the load on both the top and botom of the primary gears. Stay tuned for pics of the tranny build.
Old 15th December 2009

Join Date: Jun 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1991 saab 9000T, 90 900T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer51 View Post
Dan Wats (low 9 second drag sonnett with B212 engine and chevy 350 tranny) .
I wanna know how he made the adaptor plate to fit the b212 to the th350. i want to try it, but with a 91-93 b234... and maybe a holset.... megasquirt or T5 and put it in a S10 or mustang
Old 15th December 2009
Banned

Join Date: Nov 2003                                                
My Saabs: 900 Carlsson, 99t, 99 T16, 900 t16 vert

Lots of heavy duty stuff going on here. The transmission will be the real pain to get sorted.

Funny that it was only the counter-weights hitting the gearbox and not the rods themselves. I'm surprised nobody has thought about fitting this crank before using this method. I guess that's because nobody else checked the original info with regards exactly which bit of the bigger crankshaft didn't fit! Now we know this is so easy I guess we'll see a few more stroker 900's !
Old 15th December 2009
Saab Crazy

Have you got any pics of the ongoing stroker crank, block, etc
Old 15th December 2009

I can take some. Right now I am just wiating for money for my custom GRP built rods. then balance the entire rotating asembaly and it is done.

This has been no easy build by anymeans I have over 1500 dollars invested already just in the lower end and I still need another 800 to finish the motor and clearancing the bock was a pain in the ***. It can be done but at this point im starting to wonder if it was worth it or not for an extra .5 liters. It will definatly be woth it to have somthing that knobody else has to set my SPG apart from everyone elses this is my main modivation behind this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement