Replacing front passenger window. - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 21st October 2009
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jun 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-3
Default Replacing front passenger window.

Had my car broken into this afternoon, and they smashed the front passenger window (even though the driver door was unlocked). It's not going to meet the insurance deductible, so I guess I'm doing it on my own.

I've looked through the archives a bit and have found one post that said it is very easy to do, but I haven't found any instructions.

Any of you mind helping out a bit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21st October 2009

Join Date: May 2009                                                
My Saabs: 99 9-3 Turbo, 120K miles

Look for the threads on replacing the window rollers. They will give you all the instructions you'll need to get at the window and, yes, it is easy.

The basic steps are:
1. remove side panel
2. remove plastic vapor barrier
3. the window is attached to the regulator with 2 bolts (10MM?)

When you reinstall the window you may need to also remove the 2 pieces of styrofoam at the very bottom of the window. That will give you more room to maneuver the widow into the 2 channels that it slides into. That was the only tricky part. Shouldn't take more than an hour.
Old 21st October 2009
SaabNut!

Awesome, thanks.

I've done the rollers before, so I'm half way there. Do you slide the new window in from the top?
Old 22nd October 2009

Join Date: May 2009                                                
My Saabs: 99 9-3 Turbo, 120K miles

From the top, it's the only way it will fit. You'll have to rotate it 90 degress or so to get in started into the door and then, the tricky part, maneuvering it into the side channel. Make sure you have the regulator in the proper position so you can re-attach the bolts.
Old 22nd October 2009
SaabNut!

Thanks, again.

I'm off to pick up the window now. With any luck, I'll have this thing back together this afternoon.
Old 23rd October 2009
SaabNut!

I didn't have a chance to do this until today, but things went pretty smoothly. Some notes for anyone else that needs to do this.

Gloves are great. I got some cuts on my palms and wrists from the little shards that were all over the place, so I put on two layers of latex gloves. No more cuts.

In addition to your window, you will need two new green rollers and some grease.

If you're working with a used window, clean the old grease and dust out of the channels before putting the window in the door.

Nothing here takes a great amount of force. If you're forcing something, you're doing it wrong.

1. Remove screws from door panel. There are six total - 1 behind the door handle, two behind the door pull, three at the very bottom of the door.
2. Remove the plastic retainer above the door latch. With some skill and luck you can pull out the center pin with a needle in order to reuse it. Otherwise it breaks and you get to buy an overpriced replacement from the dealer.
3. Pull off the door panel with a slight counterclockwise twist to get it over the lock and out from under the under the sail.
4. Remove the outer foam from the door.
5. Remove the inner foam from the door.
6. Remove styrofoam chunk from right side of door (not the pieces in the bottom of the door, just the one covering the hole on the right).
7. Pry the pins out of the green rollers to remove the old metal tray from the scissor lift.
8. Clean broken glass out of door. A vacuum will get some of it, the rest can be brushed out through the drain holes in the bottom of the door.
9. Slide new window into door from above.
a. To get the metal tray at the bottom of the window you have to pry the weather stripping apart with your finger. The tray is sharp and will cut the weather stripping if you aren't careful here.
b. There is a sweet spot where the window will slide easily down into the door. It is about one fifth or one quarter of the distance from the back to the front of the window frame, and the window should go in at about a forty-five degree angle. Do not force the window, or move it side to side. If you have it positioned and angled properly, it takes very little force. Forcing it can break the window.
10. As the window starting going down into the frame, hold onto the bottom of the window so that it doesn't drop into the door and break.
11. Position the window in the tracks and make sure that the weather stripping is all in the correct place.
12. Slide the window up and down to make sure it is properly seated in the tracks.
13. Grease the track and put your new green rollers in there.
14. Use the window regulator to set the scissor lift at a height that you can reach behind the window and press it into the rollers with the heel of your hand.
15. Pop the scissor lift into the rollers until you get to the first click.
16. Move the window up and down a few inches to make sure everything is operating smoothly.
17. Press the scissor lift into the green rollers until you get a second harder, louder click.
18. Put both pieces of foam back on the door.
19. Roll the door panel back into position, clockwise.
20. Position the door panel so that the plastic rivet things line up with their holes.
21. Press the door panel in place.
22. Put door handle in position and test it.
23. Put all of your screws back into place.
Old 24th October 2009
Saabista

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: Black on black '97 Saab 3-door SE Turbo

I assume that you insert the window from the inside of the door. Is that correct?... Ron
Old 24th October 2009

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: No

i have been looking for something like this.
Old 24th October 2009
SaabNut!

I inserted it from the outside of the door. Once it was at the correct angle and at the right position along the frame, it slides in without making contact with any other part of the frame.
Old 24th October 2009
Saabista

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: Black on black '97 Saab 3-door SE Turbo

Thanks for the clarification... Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement