low beam bulb - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 18th October 2009
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jul 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2005 linear 9-3 saab
Cool low beam bulb

What is a good online store that sells D2S bulbs at different Kelvin ratings?
also what do you guys prefer to use 6k, 8k, etc and why?
i want to change up the look of my headlights, just trying to figure what to get.
feel free to post some pictures of what you have!
and yes i know the higher the kelvin rating the less actual light is being emitted, just trying to get a calm non threatening talk started.
not trying to get this turned into the HID fogs thread
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18th October 2009
Saabista

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 03 SE 5 Spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by grett9-3 View Post
not trying to get this turned into the HID fogs thread
thanks!

LOL, then you shuld look at "the Ultimate HID thread", easily found by searching for same.
Old 18th October 2009
SaabNut!

JonV do you still run stock lights?
Old 19th October 2009
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: 2005 Saab 9-3 Linear

I went with the ddm tuning 55W kit with 6000K lamps knowing that the higher wattage washes out the color. I'm sorry I went with the 6000K because it's still a little blue for my taste - it does look stock, but I wanted closer to a pure white so I should have gone with 5000K.

Why do I not want any bluish tint, aside from legalities (technically, headlights in the US are supposed to be 'selective yellow')? Drivability in poor weather.. light in the blue spectrum scatters a lot more than longer wavelengths, so this means glare in snow and fog. Why would I want pure white rather than yellow, since yellow (3000K) would provide less glare? Color recognition. I don't like the color shift that comes with yellow HID lighting.
Old 19th October 2009
Saabista

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 03 SE 5 Spd

Quote:
JonV do you still run stock lights?

Stock Xenons, Sylvania H7CB's for the Halogens, Diadems for Signals ( http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product...oducts_id=1859 ), stock Fogs although mulling Luminix or Hoen.
Old 19th October 2009
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvette View Post
I went with the ddm tuning 55W kit with 6000K lamps knowing that the higher wattage washes out the color. I'm sorry I went with the 6000K because it's still a little blue for my taste - it does look stock, but I wanted closer to a pure white so I should have gone with 5000K.

Why do I not want any bluish tint, aside from legalities (technically, headlights in the US are supposed to be 'selective yellow')? Drivability in poor weather.. light in the blue spectrum scatters a lot more than longer wavelengths, so this means glare in snow and fog. Why would I want pure white rather than yellow, since yellow (3000K) would provide less glare? Color recognition. I don't like the color shift that comes with yellow HID lighting.
im guessing the 55W kit causes code errors?
Old 19th October 2009
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
im guessing the 55W kit causes code errors?
No it doesn't, even without the "code eliminator" kit, but the kit is required to eliminate the strobing.

it DOES throw errors if I quickly turn the ignition on, then quickly off then on. If I just start normally it never throws a code.
Old 19th October 2009
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvette View Post
No it doesn't, even without the "code eliminator" kit, but the kit is required to eliminate the strobing.

it DOES throw errors if I quickly turn the ignition on, then quickly off then on. If I just start normally it never throws a code.
do you think with the code eliminator that problem will be solved? how does this kit compare to stock lights?
Old 20th October 2009
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
do you think with the code eliminator that problem will be solved? how does this kit compare to stock lights?
Well, stock halogens are 1500 lumens if you're lucky. HIDs put out 2500-3500, and upping the wattage to 55W increases it that much further. Every motor head friend of mine and even folks who aren't are impressed by the headlights on my car - and because our cars come with projectors even with halogens, there are no issues with causing glare for oncoming drivers. HIDs make the stock headlights look like flashlights. Not one person has ever flashed me unless I also have the high beams on.

As far as the "problem" is concerned? There is no problem. I have the eliminator kit and the system does throw a code when and only when I have the system on, then very quickly turn the system off and then back on. It's how HID's work, just like HID lights for industrial use; interrupt the power quickly and they will not often restart properly unless the ballast is designed to contend with the situation. Where with a headlight power interruptions are not expected, the situation is not anticipated and doesn't need to be handled. That kind of thing is user error, IMHO, not a "problem."

The 55W kit doesn't normally throw codes even without the eliminator kit - at least on my car (YMMV depending on condition of the connectors, etc.). The 35W kit definitely will since the load on the system is different from the stock 55W halogens.

I really want to upgrade the high beams as well due to the tremendous light output (I drive a lot of back roads) but am hesitant to due to the ignite time; when driving twisty roads and dealing with oncoming drivers, the halogens have the benefit of being instant-on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement