Changing Direct Ignition Cassette - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9000 > 9000 Workshop

9000 Workshop 9000 (1985-1998) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 8th October 2009

Join Date: Jul 2009                                                
My Saabs: 1994 9000CSE
Default Changing Direct Ignition Cassette

Hello, again, and I am running across the DI cassettes on eBay. I was under the impression that R&R is very easy, but one of the sellers said to let the car sit for one hour after installation. Can anyone verify this caveat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 8th October 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 Aero

Ha, no. Un-plug the sucker from the wiring harness, take out and place upside down in your place of choice. Take the new one, put some di-electric grease on the ends where the boots contact the spark plugs. Push gently onto the spark plugs until it fits and is snug. Screw the 4 torx screws in and then plug the harness back into the cassette. There you have it! Start it up and see if it works!
Old 8th October 2009
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: .

The coils have oil in them so if the unit has been stored upside down or on its side, it should be allowed to stand in the correct position for a while so that the oil goes where it should be, 20 mins should be fine!
I decline to grant to SAABCENTRAL.COM a non exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sublicense, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information I submit to any public areas....
Old 9th October 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: 81 8V 900T, 91 2.1 900i, 90 9k 2.0 Carly

From all accounts, it would seem that they DI cassettes are basically non-servicable items when something goes wrong. Anyone attempted to repair and been successful?

My 1990 9000 has DI with it's B202 motor. I don't have a spare DI unit around anywhere.

Craig.
Old 10th October 2009
Saabista

Join Date: Sep 2004                                                
My Saabs: 04 9-5 Vector 2.2Tid

Quote:
Originally Posted by c900 View Post
From all accounts, it would seem that they DI cassettes are basically non-servicable items when something goes wrong.
Saab owners do indeed treat them as a service item, much the same as you would with a car equipped with a dizzy, rotor arm and ht leads. 5 years + lifespan is not too shabby but it can hurt the pocket when they let go. A lot of die hard Saab owners keep a spare in the boot/garage waiting for it to happen.

Old 10th October 2009

Join Date: Jul 2009                                                
My Saabs: 1994 9000CSE

My mechanic warned me because his GF's Saab is sitting in his yard and needs one. When they go, call for the hook. He also said to invest in a new fuel pump. I'm dealing with a sixteen-year-old car; some but very few components last for the life of the vehicle, unless, of course, one is driving a car that lasts only six or seven years.
Old 10th October 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2006                                                
My Saabs: 06 93 2.0,93 9000griffin 92 900s LPT vrt

Yes - I have a spare DI cassette. I should get a new fuel pump too.
Old 11th October 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1997 Aero manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
Saab owners do indeed treat them as a service item, much the same as you would with a car equipped with a dizzy, rotor arm and ht leads. 5 years + lifespan is not too shabby but it can hurt the pocket when they let go. A lot of die hard Saab owners keep a spare in the boot/garage waiting for it to happen.
That makes me a diehard SAABanatic.

Since the oil in the coils is only a heat sink I hardly think it could be necessary to wait any particular length of time before firing up the engine. Certainly I sometimes place the DI upside down on the bench while changing the plugs and then I re-install it and fire it up without waiting.

Not had a DI fail yet, although I did replace the one with a brand new one and kept the old one as my spare while it was still working . Same philosophy I use with the accessory belt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement